ethernet cable problems

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have a property where I used rj45 ethernet cable to vga adapters at with no problems to output video on dvr into other rooms. Never had a problem with them yet.

Today I hooked a 2 way splitter to my nvr and attempted to use it two rooms away. I cannot get it to work after messing with it for 2 hours and I tested the cable , no problems were found. I ran a direct patch cable to the monitor in server room and it works great.

I have the cable going from splitter to patch panel, patch panel is ran into Jack 2 rooms away (less than 50 feet) through conduit, Jack is hooked to my Jack I installed that's in same gang box as existing Jack. The two cat5e jacks are connected with a patch cable and I ran a cable from my Jack to other side of room that's terminated with an ez-rj45 plug .
Any problems with those plugs? I tested it with no problems?

Any ideas? Ill properly just run a direct cable tomorrow

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Each connection you make degrades the signal and has a significant effect when you are passing video over cat5...could be the splitter or patch panel...the ive seen hdmi over ethernet not work when using a patch panel vs direct connection when the run is long (tripplite advises against a patch panel use with its hdmi over ethernet)...

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's a vga splitter not ethernet

I used the patch panel on other run that's same distance. I'll try a different cable at patch panel side later today. Total run is probably only 40 ft