WTS Fanless Box Intel 4-Core 8-Thread CPU with Quick Sync, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD. $70~80.

RoamingJay

n3wb
Reaction score
Model# Lanner LEC-2280. 6x available for sale, $110 $70 each shipped in the US.
Intel i7-3612QE, 4-Cores 8-Threads 2.1GHz, turbo up to 3.1GHz.
Can also ship international; if interested, please PM a sample address for a shipping quote.
Supports Intel Quick Sync; though it's the relatively old 3rd Gen CPU, no H265 acceleration.
(Fine for storing H265 streams from Cameras into storage, but H265 replay will consume more general CPU resources)
Power supply included.

Model# Lanner LEC-2281, 4x available, $135 $80 each shipped in the US.
Intel i7-4700EQ, 4-Cores 8-Threads 2.4GHz, turbo up to 3.4GHz.

Note that the unit has multiple SATA ports, but machenical HDD is not a good suite for these enclosed fanless units.
If HDD needed, remote NAS or externally connected via USB may work better.
Unit has a PCIE x16 expansion slot.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Price lowered. :)
These are 11 years old with weak processors by todays standards. You are going to have to unload these on ebay....the folks here know you can buy a much more powerful modern system for that money.

RoamingJay

n3wb
Reaction score
These are 11 years old with weak processors by todays standards. You are going to have to unload these on ebay....the folks here know you can buy a much more powerful modern system for that money.
Used ebay for a few years until they suspended my account after their recent verification. :facepalm:
I'm actually clearing out some camera stuff, thinking this type of fanless PC could be useful in the CCTV or media PC area so just post them here and see if I can get some moving.
Will list non-camera related stuff in other marketplace anyway. :idk:

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most of these low cost no-name brand PC's have zero manufacturer warranty support and you can't download any firmware updates. Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7 and Windows 10 isn't very far behind it.

RoamingJay

n3wb
Reaction score
Most of these low cost no-name brand PC's have zero manufacturer warranty support and you can't download any firmware updates. Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7 and Windows 10 isn't very far behind it.
Well, Lanner isn't really no-name brand but perhaps less heard in the consumer market anyway (I like Supermicro more than Lanner but Lanner is on the lower price side so :lol:).
For firmware, yes no longer supported, though generally not needed (contrary to the general gaming market where most people like frequent updates).
The BIOS is pretty much unlocked with no restriction, unlike some brands (like Barracuda) with mostly customized BIOS.
Correct no manufacturer warranty (no longer original purchaser, and well after warranty period), but seller warranty if you wish. They are actually fairly well-built; rarely any faulty unit.

For WIn7 or Win10 I honestly don't see any problem performance wise,
The 4th gen model has official Win10 driver while the 3rd gen model is Win7 only (but newer driver available directly from various component manufacturer anyway, this is same for mostly every brand, dell/hp/asus/lenovo/whatever, sometimes you get the latest driver from intel/nvidia instead).

If by chance someone's looking for a silent PC for general purpose like word/excel/media/light-web-gaming this could be a fit anyway.

By the way, for Win7/Win10 updates especially WIn10 (haven't really been into the Win11 stuff) I would and have disabled auto-updates on machines that I use..
Updates only make new/unexpected issues, especially true for Win10. There is rarely any performance gain from any updates for the system.
Though it's somewhat different on the gaming sector as new features roll out and drivers/updates follow.

Anyway, guess here isn't the preferred place for these type of units :rofl:

RoamingJay

n3wb
Reaction score
A little clarification on the firmware update preference:
There is rarely any real update for these type of machines.
Any possible bug that an user may encounter would have been found in the first year of release, and fixed.
There is just nothing needs a patch :idk:
(the only real patch that someone might want is the 2019 Spectre/Meltdown patch; it's for some very specific use-case too, otherwise not really needed, and it netatively effects performance)

On the other side, gaming PC manufacturers rushe to dominate the first available model or the like, often ship products with less-developed/beta software/bios, followup patches are much needed on those scenarios.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A little clarification on the firmware update preference:
There is rarely any real update for these type of machines.
Any possible bug that an user may encounter would have been found in the first year of release, and fixed.
There is just nothing needs a patch :idk:
(the only real patch that someone might want is the 2019 Spectre/Meltdown patch; it's for some very specific use-case too, otherwise not really needed, and it netatively effects performance)

On the other side, gaming PC manufacturers rushe to dominate the first available model or the like, often ship products with less-developed/beta software/bios, followup patches are much needed on those scenarios.
We purchased several little mini-PC's for test beds at work that don't require the processing power of a full size PC, plus they easily mount to a rack. One of them suddenly would not boot and I went around in circles with product support but they kept repeatedly asking the same questions I had already answered and offered no help. I eventually got it recovered through dumb luck but it's still not quite 100% so I wanted to try re-flashing the BIOS but they refused to provide the BIOS file. To this day I still come close to throwing the thing in the trash where it belongs. After that experience I won't buy any more mini-PC's that aren't well supported because it's a huge waste of time when they break.

RoamingJay

n3wb
Reaction score
We purchased several little mini-PC's for test beds at work that don't require the processing power of a full size PC, plus they easily mount to a rack. One of them suddenly would not boot and I went around in circles with product support but they kept repeatedly asking the same questions I had already answered and offered no help. I eventually got it recovered through dumb luck but it's still not quite 100% so I wanted to try re-flashing the BIOS but they refused to provide the BIOS file. To this day I still come close to throwing the thing in the trash where it belongs. After that experience I won't buy any more mini-PC's that aren't well supported because it's a huge waste of time when they break.
It's just the Corporate / commercial nature. They only support the original purchaser within the contracted / lease / warranty period, very strictly, which isn't very friendly for home users :facepalm:

With some better brands (like supermicro and intel) even a general end user can reach a real tech support person while with some brands (well, Lanner is one, and even bigger names like AMD) would requite an active contract to offer ANY support. Somewhere in the middle is brands like Advantech.

For no-name brands, smaller brand/sellers often offer tech support while larger brands are too big to offer direct tech support (or pushing very hard for profit like AMD). They usually offload that to the distribution channel. Basically they would ask do you have an active contact? If not, please contract your point of purchase. If yes, then follow the contract procedure :lmao:
The logic is that if something isn't working as expected, just trash it (or replacement if still contracted). If product no longer contracted, they won't even bother to waste time on communication.
With a smaller company, someone might actually look at the issue, and try to fix it. The tech person on the other end might actually want to know what causes the issue, and how to improve the product.

Anyway, sometimes a case-by-case thing too. :facepalm: