Finding Dahua Dome, PoE, 1/1.8", 4MP, 2.8mm

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am looking for a Dahua Dome camera for indoors. The 5442 are popular here and it's my understanding that S3 is the latest version. However, on Dahua's website I can only find S2 which is strange. Maybe I am not searching properly. On empiretech01.com I can only find the D54IR-ASE-S3. I believe it's a Dahua and Andy just had to change the name. But is that really the one to buy if a want a PoE dome, IR lights (no visible lights), 4MP and 1/1.8" sensor.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They are the same, so the EmpireTech versus Dahua are the same (some weird mix-up in numbering as Dahua sometimes skips S2 when they change chipsets but the firmware remains the same and EmpireTech already was selling their version prior to Dahua and vice versa.)

All the S# designation means is that it is the same model, just with a different chipset than the previous version.

In most instances the higher number should mean better performance as it is newer, but sometimes it is worse if that was the only chipset available.

Generally, firmware is S# specific, so you can't apply an S3 to an original version...except for when you can LOL.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So is the IPC-D54IR-ASE-S3 the same as the IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE. It's the only one I can find on Dahua's website that is fixed focal, 1/1.8", PoE, 4MP.

EmpireTech is pretty popular on this forum but when searching the forum I get only 3 hits for IPC-D54IR-ASE-S3 which makes me doubtful I am looking at a "good choice" camera. Also Amazon has 0 reviews for this camera.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yea it is the same.

Most of us don't use dome cameras and prefer the turret and bullet forms. Too many issues with weird reflective glare from dome and attracting dust and dirt, especially outside installs.

Since yours is indoors you could probably get by with a dome.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks! For outside I have turrets and bullets.

I wife likes to clean and a camera with no openings like a dome is easier to clean. With turrets dust can get between the camera head and the mounting. And I think the dome looks less intrusive than a turret. But maybe other people feel different about that, i.e. which feels more intrusive. I should open a vote...;)