first onvif setup w/ new cameras - can see the ip-addr on the network but not connect

Reaction score
Hello.

Just received 2 sd1A203T-GN cameras from Andy. My first DIY setup. Camera is plugged in (POE) to AUMOX SG105POE that is (for now) wired connected to the ethernet port of a google wifi hub. Win10 desktop is wirelessly connected to the same google wifi router.

I can't seem to find the new cameras in ONVIF DevMgr, Blue Iris or in a web-browser.

1) if I plug an older, non-ONVIF, camera into the same ethernet cable I can see that camera with ONVIF Device Mgr, so I believe the end-to-end connection does work. (devMgr finds it, but then correctly complains that the expected onvif api isn't present...but the point is, the connection through the poe switch to my router and from there to my desktop seems to work).

2) with one of the new SD1A203Ts plugged in I can see it's IP addr in the google wifi app. It shows as having a wired connection, which is correct. FWIW, the ip-addr is 192.168.1.108.

3) tried in firefox...not found. tried entering that ip-addr in blue iris...not found. and onvif dev mgr doesn't see it, either.

I tried w/ and w/o a miniSD installed, tried holding down the reset either while it was unplugged or already plugged in or while plugging it in. no change. tried the 2nd camera, same result.

what am I doing wrong?

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question but is your WiFi-connected desktop using an IP address in the 192.168.1.0/24 range? It's probably the most widely used default range but if your network is using something else, that would cause your issues.

You mentioned having two of these cameras - note that if they're not setup yet, they'll both be trying to use that same default IP which results in a conflict if they're both on the same network segment at the same time. Be sure to plug in and set up one at a time to avoid strange behavior.

And lastly, you do need to do the setup on the camera before it'll behave normally; I wouldn't expect to get any results with Blue Iris or ONVIF Device Manager. You'll need to access the camera's web interface to get through the Country/Region setting:

InitialSetup.PNG

The alternative is to use the Dahua ConfigTool to Initialize it:

ConfigTool_Initialize.jpg

After that, you can move on to accessing them normally. Of course, you'll need to figure out why you can't reach 192.168.1.108 with your browser first....

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did some quick research and it seems that Google WiFi may default to 192.168.86.0/24. If your desktop has an IP from that network range, then you're basically dealing with two different networks that don't have a route between them.

Here's some info from the wiki that might help: Dahua Camera Initial Setup.

The short version is that you'll need to give your PC a static address from the 192.168.1.0/24 range temporarily, initialize the camera via web interface or tool, switch the camera's network configuration to DHCP or give it a static address in your home network range as appropriate, then revert the IP address changes on your desktop and reboot the camera to be sure it's using its new address.

The link above takes a cautious approach that limits the camera's ability to access the internet as well which you can choose to follow if you wish.

Reaction score
Thank’s for your reply.
I have been trying the cameras one at a time...I mentioned that in have 2 so it’s clear this isn’t a bad camera problem.

according to the google wifi app, the desktop is at 192.168.86.216

I’ll checkout that link

according to the google wifi app, the desktop is at 192.168.86.216

Reaction score
that was definitely the issue.

I now have two cameras setup in BI. PTZ still only works over the web-browser interface (e.g. not through BI) and I don't yet know why....but this is real progress, so thank you.

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're quite welcome; happy to hear you made progress!

As for PTZ through BI, there are different options available for PTZ control as seen here:

BlueIrisPTZ.PNG

I don't know offhand which is the right selection for that particular camera but it's easy enough to try the few likely candidates until you find one that works as desired....

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Enter the cameras user name, password & Ip address into BI cam VIDEO tab. Click Find/Inspect, it typically will fill in the fields with the correct info.

In the future, you can use Dahua's configtool read the instructions that comes with it, you can find cameras on different subnets and change the cams IP address.