Flash Annke OEM HikVision NVR with genuine firmware?

dabbler

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, Ive been searching the net and cannot find any answers. I have the latest Annke NVR (8 port, POE, 4k 2TB unit) it works great with some 5mp cameras.

However, the motion sensing is really annoying - rain sets it off, so I realise this is a OEM HikVision product, is there any guides to flash genuine Hik firmware so I can enable the expert motion sensing? (Ive checked the MAC and it is reported as a Hik device, I have not opened it and am not too sure what genuine Hik device is a OEM of)

If any one can point me in the right direction, it would be really appreciated!

Thankyou in advance for your help!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
However, the motion sensing is really annoying - rain sets it off, so I realise this is a OEM HikVision product,
The motion sensing (and Line Crossing Detection / Intrusion Detection) is done in the camera.
The NVR simply takes configured actions based on the event notifications received from the camera.

What models of camera are on the NVR?
Do they support Line Crossing / Intrusion detection?
So much more configurable than simple motion detection to reduce unwanted alerts.

dabbler

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi - thanks for the reply Alistair, I did not know these options were in the camera! - from my research it appeared that there should be a "advanced motion" setting in the motion nvr menu.

Any way, the kit is this : DH500丨5MP Super HD 8CH PoE Dome Security Camera System

Unfortunately I Have installed the cameras, so cannot easily remove them, however I believe the are HikVision, just re-branded (On the Annke link, scroll down and they show the cameras with the HikVision logo!)

So im stuck, im not sure what to do - line crossing would be perfect to solve my constant motion triggering issue!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So im stuck, im not sure what to do - line crossing would be perfect to solve my constant motion triggering issue!
On the assumption that the NVR has the ability to allow you to access the camera web GUI (Virtual Host on a Hikvision NVR) maybe try accessing the camera web GUI event configuration pages to see what options there are beyond simple motion detection.

dabbler

n3wb
Reaction score
It doesn't appear to, under camera management, I see the camera, their IP's etc and that's about it :

cam management.jpg

dabbler

n3wb
Reaction score
There are no options for virtual host Alistair. Im begining to think ive bought a Lemon. It was from amazon so I can send back. It also locks up and needs to be rebooted. Ive logged a call with Annke and they have been quick to respond, I hope they issue a firmware update that enables line crossing etc - without it, motion detection is useless.

This was the set I ordered: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PNHZ6QQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is also this set: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANNKE-Network-Security-2-0Megapixels-Weatherproof/dp/B0746G9WG1/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=annke+poe+dome&qid=1573894240&s=diy&sr=1-4

The second set does support VCA etc, but the cameras are lower resolution and its an older model. But is it better?

If any one could advise me - it would be most appreciated.

Thankyou

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There are no options for virtual host Alistair.
That's odd when there is the 'Connect' column under Camera Management.
This is where it would normally be under Hikvision firmware :
1573901097934.png

But with the original purpose being to see if the cameras actually support Smart Events, you can do this another way.
Temporarily set the PC IP address to one that's valid for the NVR PoE ports, such as 192.168.254.100
Connect the PC to an unused NVR PoE port and use IE11 to access each cameras web GUI directly at the IP addresses you see under Camera Management.
If the camera were added under Plug&Play they are probably using the NVR password.

dabbler

n3wb
Reaction score
I can now browse to the camera admin page, how do i know the password? Its not the one I set for the NVR, is there a default password?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

virtual host connect.jpgcamera login.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
how do i know the password? Its not the one I set for the NVR, is there a default password?
That looks like it could be the very old firmware before default passwords were removed.
In which case the old defaults were 12345 and 123456789abc

On the NVR VGA/HDMI interface, there may be a checkbox to 'Show camera password'.
But that's on the newer firmware.

dabbler

n3wb
Reaction score
Alistair - I Found it - i can to connect to the NVR via a screen (not use the browser from a PC) I have now logged on to a camera, alas no line crossing options:

cam connected.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What firmware version is on the camera?
I have a very vague thought that the very early (5.1.x) Hikvision firmware didn't have Smart Events.

dabbler

n3wb
Reaction score
Its V5.5.81 build 190312

Model I5DB1

Is it possible to flash genuine HikVision firmware to enable line crossing/smart events? (I thought i read somewhere, OEM Hikvision products may have "expert" features disabled?

Also - does the problem here (no smart events / line crossing) lay with the cameras or NVR or both?

Annke support got back to me and just said "That system dosnt support line crossing"

Such a shame

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Its V5.5.81 build 190312
That's pretty new firmware, certainly not the very old versions that had fewer features.

Is it possible to flash genuine HikVision firmware to enable line crossing/smart events? (I thought i read somewhere, OEM Hikvision products may have "expert" features disabled?
This all depends on whether the Annke firmware is simply missing that feature - or whether it omits it based on capabilities associated with the internal camera bootpara data that defines the model number.
Certainly the Hikvision firmware behaves in a dumbed-down fashion when running on some HiWatch models that have just the same internal board as a more expensive model.

Also - does the problem here (no smart events / line crossing) lay with the cameras or NVR or both?
The camera would have to generate the event due to line crossing - and the NVR would have to recognise it and react to it.
So, both, really.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Annke support got back to me and just said "That system dosnt support line crossing"
If you feel inclined to explore further - it might be interesting to query the firmware on its capabilities.
You'd need the PC connected to an unused NVR PoE port, with the IP address set to match the 192.168.254.0 network, say 192.168.254.100
Then point the browser at a camera IP address, like so :

dabbler

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm having trouble deciding whether to return it for one that does line crossing etc, with lower resolution cameras. Or stick with this one with 265+ and 5mp cameras.

Personally, if you were in my situation, what would you do?

Keep this one with 5mp cameras or send it back and get one that does have line crossing but with 2mp cameras?

I wonder if the 2mp setup is actually a better system?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, if you were in my situation, what would you do?
I'd go for the one that provides the very best low-light performance.
Unless the areas covered are brightly lit at night - that aspect trumps most others, in my view.

I swapped out my Hikvision 3MP DS-2CD2332-I turrets for no-name 2MP IMX307 and IMX290 based turrets a year or so ago, for the low-light capability.
Only now am I looking at moving up to higher resolution cameras now that large-format sensors are available at reasonable prices to give both high resolution and very good low-light capability.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep this one with 5mp cameras or send it back and get one that does have line crossing but with 2mp cameras?

It's a mystery what the specifications are for that kit. A complete pig in a poke.
Also - domes can be troublesome for image quality and finicky mounting requirements, as many posts on here can attest to.