Full System Upgrade

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What are the specs of your computer?

Years ago when I was running BI4 on a I7 I was maxing it out with 6 3mp hiks.
It's and HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF running Windows 10 Pro. CPU is Intel i5-4590 @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM.

All my cameras are 2MP at 15 FPS recording Direct to Disk. Live view limited to 8FPS. I was at crazy high CPU usage when I was running BI4 on the same machine under Windows server 2012. Switched to W10 and BI5 and I was able to get CPU down by enabling Intel hardware accelerated decode. It didn't work on win server OS.

It floats around 43% now. Spikes when reviewing video or opening UI3 but not enough to crash or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's and HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF running Windows 10 Pro. CPU is Intel i5-4590 @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM.

All my cameras are 2MP at 15 FPS recording Direct to Disk. Live view limited to 8FPS. I was at crazy high CPU usage when I was running BI4 on the same machine under Windows server 2012. Switched to W10 and BI5 and I was able to get CPU down by enabling Intel hardware accelerated decode. It didn't work on win server OS.
How much do you think 32GB RAM helps? I got an EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF i5-6500, it has 8GB RAM, might upgrade to 16 but don't know how much of a difference 32 GB would make. I haven't set up Blue Iris yet, still in the gathering phase of my project, might run up to 16 cameras but will probably start off with around 8-12, mostly 2MP resolution.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
How much do you think 32GB RAM helps? I got an EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF i5-6500, it has 8GB RAM, might upgrade to 16 but don't know how much of a difference 32 GB would make.
Check the Windows System Monitor to see what the actual RAM usage is.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
How much do you think 32GB RAM helps? I got an EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF i5-6500, it has 8GB RAM, might upgrade to 16 but don't know how much of a difference 32 GB would make. I haven't set up Blue Iris yet, still in the gathering phase of my project, might run up to 16 cameras but will probably start off with around 8-12, mostly 2MP resolution.
I’m not sure it made much of a difference. I’d try without and upgrade if you decide to. When I upgraded to V5 I did an HDD and RAM upgrade with my fresh install of win 10 so I can’t speak to what difference it actually made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't been on here in a minute and I figured I'd give an update as to how this system was doing. Literally zero problems except for the glare issue at the front door camera that I posted about in another thread. Just the nature of that camera and the sun and it's not really a "problem." The most that I've had to do physically with the cameras is wipe off the plastic in front of the lens as dirt has accumulated. NVR is running smooth with 14TB installed, and there have been no hiccups. We've had rain, wind, heat and cold, and I haven't seen so much as a glitch from anything.

I'm running 18 channels at the moment with the recent addition of one of the little Amcrest Dahua based cameras in the interior that I can move around as needed. Channel 19 might end up being an external auto-tracker if I can find a place to put it.

There have been no incidents that have raised any red flags around here, and having the cameras up has added a lot of peace of mind both for live viewing and playback. I've captured more wildlife than I would ever have known that come around before they were installed. The list is big - multiple cats, multiple dogs, rabbits, a couple gangs of raccoons (four just last night), three different opossums, gray fox, hawk catching and eating its prey in my back yard, one of the cats chasing a rat out of my yard (good kitty!), hummingbirds, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something. The things that happen when you're asleep or not paying attention to are fun to discover. The two-legged creatures have behaved well!