Hikvision IPcamera with RPI 4 as NVR

asura

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm very new in this scene and forum, I'm trying to setup my very first IP camera for my home (outdoor). I'm planning to get a Hikvision DS-2CD2043G2-I(2.8mm) with TP-Link TL-SG1005P POE switch and setup scrypted NVR on my Raspberry PI 4B.
I understand that Dahua is the most recommended here in the forum, but it is sadly not available at reasonable price where I live and Hikvision dominate the market here.

However I do have many questions, Does my setup even work or do I have to get Hikvision NVR for the camera to work? Is the my RPI 4B powerful enough to run 1440p 20fps stream into a HDD or do I need a different hardware?

I have looked at multiple places and only found partial answers or just direct guide on how to setup NVR software on the PI without answering if a NVR hardware is needed or not.

Places I looked at:

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are not afraid of someone grabbing your camera, hell take camera with sd slot of 512GB, itll have few days of recording if its non stop motion.

asura

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are not afraid of someone grabbing your camera, hell take camera with sd slot of 512GB, itll have few days of recording if its non stop motion.
I'm looking into storing the video files into an HDD attached to my Raspberry PI 4B and not into an SD Card attached to the camera.

Based on my knowledge microSD cards have lower lifespan than HDD/SDD storage.

Last edited: