Hikvision

Reaction score
I'm going to set up a Hikvision system. I have a long run of about 600 feet. What I'm looking to do is set up about 8 cameras on the end of the run. I want to use an 8 port PoE router on that end with an uplink port. On the NVR side I want to use a standard 8 port passive router with an up link. So from what I'm reading I need to go channel to channel on the NVR to the passive router. I need to go out on the uplink port to the uplink on the PoE router. From there I can use the PoE router to run my cameras. Somewhere in the 300 foot area I need a 2nd router to boost or extend the signal correct? I'm making all my runs with Cat 6 solid copper cable. Am I missing anyhting?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Max length for an Ethernet run is 100 meters, 328 feet. You will need to look at different equipment.

Reaction score
Max length for an Ethernet run is 100 meters, 328 feet. You will need to look at different equipment.
I understand the max run. I was under the understanding if I put a 4 port switch at about 300 foot I can go the other 300 foot to the PoE switch where my cameras are.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That will work. Sorry I missed that in the write up.
select your Ethernet cable carefully, Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum). If out side used gel filled cable, if exposed to sunlight, make sure it has good UV protection.

For your long run you need to look at using fiber, it will not have electrical interference. If it is out side it will not be effected by lighting.

Use switches, you do not need a routers for this.

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I also recommend fiber for your run. Check out fs.com for some ideas on pricing and stuff. I would reccomend OM3 or OM4 multi-mode fiber optic cable (I'll have to check the max lengths first. I know OM4 is good for 550 meters... maybe the both are). I would get a minimum of a 4 strand fiber optic cable. This gives you 2 spare fibers should something happen or you need extras in the future.

If going the fiber route, you'll want a PoE switch with an SFP port for a fiber transceiver on the far and, and at the router/house end, either a converter or another network switch with SFP port.

I just did a job that had a 450' run of 6 strand OM4 fiber for a network in an out building. Still have yet to install the camera... anyway.

With fiber you can avoid having to put a network switch in the middle of your run.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
That will work. Sorry I missed that in the write up.
select your Ethernet cable carefully, Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum). If out side used gel filled cable, if exposed to sunlight, make sure it has good UV protection.

For your long run you need to look at using fiber, it will not have electrical interference. If it is out side it will not be effected by lighting.

Use switches, you do not need a routers for this.
We did purchase solid copper 23ga cat 6 wire. The run is close to 600' total to the PoE switch for the camera feed. We got a good deal and plan on using these as the passive and PoE switches. Possibly the middle booster one as well. I can see some other long runs to be added. I'll look into the Fiber on those. None of the guys have worked with fiber and that's why we went the Cat 6 route. Were all volunteers with some electrical and network experience. Thanks.