HiLook NVR Hikvision

kidches

n3wb
Reaction score
I work in Lithuania (banking equipment company) and quite new in Video security.
One of our clients installed ATMs with Hikvision NVR and 2 IP cameras to detect the usage of ATM
But we face a problem during the installation of motion detection recording using HiLook NVR and ELP IP cameras.

NVR model : HiLook NVR-104H-D/4P
Firmware version : 3.4.99, Build 180706

IP camera: ELP-IP1881-POE
ONVIF version: 2.04

As it mentioned in characteristics of NVR the “motion detection” and all functions should be working via ONVIF protocol. But in our case it works ONLY with NON STOP recording.
We checked the cameras, motion detection easily works with another NVR (TrendNet) and also works with PC software.
We tried to configure it several times, we did activate the function, checked the trigger and activation zone, set up a schedule.
Nothing helped.
If you have any ideas will be very helpful.
Also i contacted with Hikvision official support, they have not helped us at all.
Also we are ready to discuss any kind of development project on paid basis.
Thank you for your attention.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
As it mentioned in characteristics of NVR the “motion detection” and all functions should be working via ONVIF protocol
Not all ONVIF implementations support motion event notifications.
One way to check is to query the camera for ONVIF motion events with the very useful tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
Give ODM some logon credentials, top left of the window, and check the 'Events' page and the Rules.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Also - the HiWatch and HiLook low-end devices have been 'Dumbed-down' by Hikvision, with many useful features removed.
That may also have a bearing on the problem.

kidches

n3wb
Reaction score
Also - the HiWatch and HiLook low-end devices have been 'Dumbed-down' by Hikvision, with many useful features removed.
That may also have a bearing on the problem.
Thank you for your reply!
I tested the cameras via ODM manager and on the screenshot you can see all info i have.
It obviously registers the movement (screenshot 1), but there is no so many movement events (screenshot 2)

As i understand (correct me if i wrong) HiLook NVR requires some special movement event or rule, in camera to start the recording.
But TrenDnet is not, that NVR is able to handle those "simple" camera events for starting the recording?
As i found out, HIKVISION NVR requires those events

tns1:VideoSource/MotionAlarm or tns1:RuleEngine/CellMotionDetector/Motion topic

Is it possible to integrate them somehow from camera manufacturer site?

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tested the cameras via ODM manager and on the screenshot you can see all info i have.
It obviously registers the movement (screenshot 1), but there is no so many movement events (screenshot 2)
The camera looks OK - it is generating ONVIF motion detection events.

It seems that the NVR is not responding to them.
Perhaps the lack of support for ONVIF motion detection is a 'feature' of that specific Hikvision NVR model.
On the other Hikvision NVRs I've used (E-series, K1 series, K2 series), that does work OK.

Also i contacted with Hikvision official support, they have not helped us at all.
Maybe try again with this very specific question :

"Please advise whether NVR model : HiLook NVR-104H-D/4P supports ONVIF motion event subscriptions."

kidches

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera looks OK - it is generating ONVIF motion detection events.

It seems that the NVR is not responding to them.
Perhaps the lack of support for ONVIF motion detection is a 'feature' of that specific Hikvision NVR model.
On the other Hikvision NVRs I've used (E-series, K1 series, K2 series), that does work OK.

Maybe try again with this very specific question :

"Please advise whether NVR model : HiLook NVR-104H-D/4P supports ONVIF motion event subscriptions."

Actually, i used another HIKVISION IP camera with that NVR.
Motion detection have been configured easily, and function worked properly, without anything special.
I should notice that Hikvision global support answering rarely, and i cant see that they are interested in solving of that issue.
They`ve been ignoring me for almost month. And only after 4 repetitive emails they answered me the next:

Sorry to tell you that if IPC didn’t support tns1:VideoSource/MotionAlarm or tns1:RuleEngine/CellMotionDetector/Motion topic, Hikvision NVR will not support camera's motion detection.

My question, is it possible to "play" from camera side, to add any rules, events which are being suported by HiLook?
Or those settings are not configurable?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to tell you that if IPC didn’t support tns1:VideoSource/MotionAlarm or tns1:RuleEngine/CellMotionDetector/Motion topic, Hikvision NVR will not support camera's motion detection.
According to what I can see in your screenshots, the camera does support those requirements.

Actually, i used another HIKVISION IP camera with that NVR.
Motion detection have been configured easily, and function worked properly, without anything special.
Yes indeed.
As a general rule, it is more effective, and safer, especially for a critical application, to not 'mix and match' brands between cameras and NVRs.
ONVIF compatibility generally works OK, but is not guaranteed.
The Hikvision camera was presumably connected with the Hikvsion protocol, as opposed to the ONVIF protocol.

My question, is it possible to "play" from camera side, to add any rules, events which are being suported by HiLook?
Or those settings are not configurable?
I think that is unlikely. The ONVIF support in the camera will be hard-coded in to the firmware, though sometimes it can be enabled or disabled.

But in our case it works ONLY with NON STOP recording.
I'm assuming that in this case you successfully used the ONVIF protocol to connect the camera, as opposed to RTSP which would only support continuous recording.

For a critical application such as you described, it may be best to use continuous recording anyway.
Motion recording might miss important events.

kidches

n3wb
Reaction score
According to what I can see in your screenshots, the camera does support those requirements.
then, this is very weird answer from Hikvision support.

Yes indeed.
As a general rule, it is more effective, and safer, especially for a critical application, to not 'mix and match' brands between cameras and NVRs.
ONVIF compatibility generally works OK, but is not guaranteed.
The Hikvision camera was presumably connected with the Hikvsion protocol, as opposed to the ONVIF protocol.
Yes, i forgot another protocol, another story.

I think that is unlikely. The ONVIF support in the camera will be hard-coded in to the firmware, though sometimes it can be enabled or disabled.
I feel that its more chances that IPC support team, are ready to help with that issue. And actually i trying to figure out, what should i ask them to do.

Thank you for your help. Anyway i will contact IPC support may be they have any ideas about that issue.
And if it possible could you please help in one more question.
So, we already have 100 of mentioned NVR each have, 1TB hard disk and 2 cameras.
1 TB can store approximately 15 days of non stop recording in required quality from 2 cameras.
But client requires to store 30 days of non stop recording. Do you know any less expensive option to accomplish that?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So, we already have 100 of mentioned NVR each have, 1TB hard disk and 2 cameras.
1 TB can store approximately 15 days of non stop recording in required quality from 2 cameras.
But client requires to store 30 days of non stop recording. Do you know any less expensive option to accomplish that
Without knowing how the camera is encoding data, what the bitrate is - it's not possible to say what changes could be made to increase the storage history.
A 1TB HDD on an NVR is very small.
Using the h.265 codec instead of h.264 and VBR instead of CBR will reduce storage requirements a lot.
You might find this storage calculator useful : HIKVISION UK PORTAL

CQR-View

n3wb
Reaction score
Agree with Alastair in regard to Encoding Formats to reduce storage consumption, However, so often i have seen (which makes my blood boil) certain parameters such as Frame Rates drastically reduced or Resolutions dumbed down in an effort to save on storage space.
As far as i'm concerned, doing this defeats the intended purpose of the system.................... you want the recorded video to be the best quality & highest standard possible because this is the evidence.
So why would anyone sacrifice recording quality instead of spending a few dollars on another/larger Hard Drive???