Hipcam rtsp channels?

iphotoshop

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've recently taken over the IT of a small business. The previous IT guy left me very little so I'm trying to peice things together... anyways I've finally got around to taking a look at the ipcams set up around the building. All he has for the notes is open vlc and connect to rtsp:/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/11 although this works there are 3 cameras and it seems to loop through them randomly not timed just seems to be random I can sometimes get it to change by disconnecting and reconnecting and then I will have the feed of another camera, although this doesn't always work either. I've looked at the ispy hipcam commands and the Streaming/channel/1 uri doesn't seem to work at all. What am I missing? Sorry if this is vague or stupid my ipcam knowledge is non existent.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those are likely private IP's so no need to redact.
Yes, several questions:
  • Do you have the exact model number(s) of the cams?
  • Does that list include all the assigned IP's?
  • Do you know if those are static IP's?
  • How are the cams powered?
  • What are the cam's plugged into?
  • What is the URL that worked in VLC?

iphotoshop

n3wb
Reaction score
Those are likely private IP's so no need to redact.
Yes, several questions:
  • Do you have the exact model number(s) of the cams?
  • Does that list include all the assigned IP's?
  • Do you know if those are static IP's?
  • How are the cams powered?
  • What are the cam's plugged into?
  • What is the URL that worked in VLC?
So that's the kicker, these are Not on the private network they are on a public IP and I do not have any IP information other than that which was given to me(the single ip) As for the models I do not know the exact numbers but I'm at the point where I will need to rent out a large latter to climb up and check. The uri that does work for the rtsp stream is /11 but again this will loop through the cams at random so it can't be a specific cameras ip? I've reached out to the disgruntled previous employee but he is ignoring my requests. I've tried to find out if we are paying a security company for the monitoring but nobody here seems to know anything! It must be running a server somewhere that allows all the streams through this one Ip? I'm just very confused as to how this is even working.

iphotoshop

n3wb
Reaction score
So that's the kicker, these are Not on the private network they are on a public IP and I do not have any IP information other than that which was given to me(the single ip) As for the models I do not know the exact numbers but I'm at the point where I will need to rent out a large latter to climb up and check. The uri that does work for the rtsp stream is /11 but again this will loop through the cams at random so it can't be a specific cameras ip? I've reached out to the disgruntled previous employee but he is ignoring my requests. I've tried to find out if we are paying a security company for the monitoring but nobody here seems to know anything! It must be running a server somewhere that allows all the streams through this one Ip? I'm just very confused as to how this is even working.
I should add we are on a strip mall with a few other businesses, some of which no longer exist and the ones that do also have no clue about the cams... I'm guessing the public ip probably belongs to one of them... but judging from the mess left over to me all bets are off... I'm just curious for opinions on what these cams could possibly be running on, and if there are any solutions on how I could segregate them to have 1 stream per cam, with the limited info I have on hand

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ideally you want each IP cam to be POE and home-runned with a quality CAT-5e/6 cable back to a central spot where you have a POE NVR or a PC with VMS (such as Blue Iris).
That place should be secured, limited access and under surveillance as well.
The PC or NVR should have a UPS installed as well.

The above is a broad generalization and certainly there's more specifics when the time comes to plan, budget and order the items but it doesn't sound like what's in place will lend itself well to practical re-use.

iphotoshop

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the info, I fear this would not be approved in the budget for years to come, and I will be stuck just hoping the correct stream comes through... real head scratcher. I was under the impression each would need its own ip or atleast uri but here we are 3 cams linking to one ip and uri...