HiSeeU - Slowing down my internet speeds

YMS_1975

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I didn't see a section for the brand name : HiSeeU, so I hope I'm posting this in the right area. I have a HiSeeU brand name IP security camera setup. I have 13 cameras in total connected, and I'm using a switch because the NVR's inputs were all used up.
Anyways, today I upgraded my internet to 1 Gbps (download). But when the cable internet technician came out, we noticed the speeds weren't passing 400 Mbps (download). So he disconnected everything from the modem. It was at that point that he realized the NVR was slowing down my internet considerably.

Any idea how to remedy this situation? I'd like to have the blazing fast speeds I'm paying for.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would assume the cameras are going thru the router or you set it up to route. If so that is why.

At a minimum the NVR and cameras should all be connected to the same switch such that if you unplug the router, the NVR should still see the cameras. If not and the NVR loses the cameras, then your cameras are going thru the router. The router cannot keep up with non-buffering data demands of cameras. Netflix buffers, these cameras do not.

YMS_1975

n3wb
Reaction score
I would assume the cameras are going thru the router or you set it up to route. If so that is why.

At a minimum the NVR and cameras should all be connected to the same switch such that if you unplug the router, the NVR should still see the cameras. If not and the NVR loses the cameras, then your cameras are going thru the router. The router cannot keep up with non-buffering data demands of cameras. Netflix buffers, these cameras do not.
Basically, I have my NVR with like 8 inputs. Then I have a separate switch, where one ethernet cable is bridging the NVR to the switch. But.....there's only one ethernet cable, running from the POE Switch to the modem/router. It's a Sagemcom F@ST 3896 cable modem/router.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
If he’s streaming the cameras to another device on his LAN, or remotely over the Internet, the entire bandwidth of all cameras would be going through the router when he’s streaming no?

If as above, (assuming no wifi cams) then when he’s not streaming, the router shouldn’t see any traffic from the NVR right?

Unless there is something else streaming the video feed through the router he’s unaware of…

Does that sound right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have seen the router do some crazy things.

In theory, if the cameras do not have to go thru the router, then the router shouldn't be touching it, but some routers still try to.

There was a troubleshooting post here I think last year where someone had cameras keep dropping signal. It was with BI, but as a "box" it is an NVR. He had all the cameras and BI computer connected to a switch and then from the switch to the router. In theory the router shouldn't be routing the cameras, nor should the cameras even be going thru the router. But when he would unplug the router, the BI computer lost all the cameras.

So I like to say a good test is to unplug the router and see if the VMS system, so in this case the NVR, sees all of the cameras. So watch the NVR with the HDMI port - if any cameras drop off when the router is unplugged, then the cameras are passing thru the router and that will slow down the entire network. Then it is a matter of figuring out how to get the cameras to not go thru the router on the way to the NVR.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree. That's the fast way to see. I'm just saying his setup doesnt sound any different than most, so if the NVR is dragging down the router, my bet is video is being streamed somewhere....or something is using the NVR to stream some other type of traffic which could be bad

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The question is how is the switch with cameras connected to the NVR - is it thru a POE port on the NVR or thru the WAN/LAN port?

He says their is only one cable coming from the NVR to the router - so does that mean the cameras are in essence going thru the router because the NVR shouldn't be connected directly to the router once he adds an external switch.

He should have the cameras and NVR connected to the same switch via the WAN/LAN port of the NVR and then a cable from the switch to the router.

Or like you said, the feed is being streamed somewhere - maybe HiSeeU is one of those cloud-based systems feeding a constant feed to their servers?

Or as you said, maybe some of the cameras are wifi and that would do it as well.

A network topology diagram would be helpful.

YMS_1975

n3wb
Reaction score
The question is how is the switch with cameras connected to the NVR - is it thru a POE port on the NVR or thru the WAN/LAN port?

He says their is only one cable coming from the NVR to the router - so does that mean the cameras are in essence going thru the router because the NVR shouldn't be connected directly to the router once he adds an external switch.

He should have the cameras and NVR connected to the same switch via the WAN/LAN port of the NVR and then a cable from the switch to the router.

Or like you said, the feed is being streamed somewhere - maybe HiSeeU is one of those cloud-based systems feeding a constant feed to their servers?

Or as you said, maybe some of the cameras are wifi and that would do it as well.

A network topology diagram would be helpful.

The NVR has an ethernet connection to this 8 Port POE Switch. The only ethernet cable running from my security camera system is from the POE Switch to the modem/router. I don't even think I have to connect it to the modem/router. I'm starting to think the only benefit of connecting the NVR to the modem/router, is if I wish to use the app., so I can view it on my phone (which I don't currently do anyways).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, unless that system requires an internet connection (some systems are proprietary cloud-based and do), then you only need it connected to the router if you want to review remotely.

YMS_1975

n3wb
Reaction score
I made a slight error in my previous posts (which I just updated). The only ethernet cable running from the security system was actually from the POE Switch (NOT the NVR) to the cable modem/router. So....I have my NVR bridged to my POE Switch via ethernet cable & then another cable runs from my POE Switch to the cable modem/router.

I just unplugged it & ran a speed test. It's still slow. This is so crazy! My VPN is disconnected & I unplugged both of the ethernet cables I had plugged into my cable modem/router (for my XBox One & The POE Switch).

YMS_1975

n3wb
Reaction score
This is so odd. I just did a speed test using Cogeco's app.(on my smartphone). For some reason, I get high speeds only when I use the app on my cellphone. Otherwise, if I do a speed test from my laptop and/or smartphone (using a browser), it's not as fast. On my phone's app. I get the 1 Gbps. When I use my laptop or my smartphones browser, it's only 330 Mbps.

Any ideas?

YMS_1975

n3wb
Reaction score
For anyone still reading this thread (LOL), Itried connecting my laptop to my cable modem/router, via ethernet cable (hardwire connection) & I am in fact getting speeds of 1 Gbps. And that's with the XBox 1 & POE Switch connected to the cable modem/router.

I understand & acknowledge that there are numerous factors to take into consideration when dealing with wireless, so I will consider this case closed. I know I'm getting good speeds.

Cheers.