HomeSeer for Pi3 is free. Something to consider

Reaction score
HS3-Pi3 Free Smart Home Automation Software | HomeSeer – HomeSeer Store
I am leaning towards HomeAssistant for my future Home Automation software due to it's price and power. Never programmed before so HomeSeer might be a close second. While digging around for info about automated shades, came across this HomeSeer for pi3 being free with associated HomeSeer ads. Of course, the plug in prices are not which are a concern. But still is good to label this as a consideration or a trial run.

Reaction score
If it were me, I would go with HS3 standard for $125 through tonight. The pi3 only allows for 5 plugins, if I recall.

We originally purchased HS3 Pro but could have saved some money by going the standard route.

While I am not familiar with Home Assistant, I can say that although HS3 has a bit of a learning curve, it is extremely powerful and adaptive. And, there is a pretty active forum where one can get answers to their questions.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
$125 is a decent price for their 'HS3 Standard'. If you actually look at what the 'Pro' version includes, chances are you won't use any of the extras

And, HomeSeer has a 50% off sale twice a year. As I recall, I think it is during the months of May and November. The $125 price is their standard 50% off price. They also have a plugin in for BlueIris, although I have not played around with it yet

Reaction score
is there an issue with this Free HS? From what I read, some ADS in a banner is all. Is the software limited for functions?

thendawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What about openhab? I wouldnt call working with it "programming" but it certainly is more in depth then using a point and click UI to configure everything, on the other hand its powerful, super customizable, and everything's free/open source. There's quite a bit of documentation to get a lot of things working, but I did find myself "expirementing" a lot to get things the way I want them.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Seconded for the openHAB recommendation. Been using it with blueiris for years and it runs great!

I've heard nice things about homeseer as well, but haven't had a chance to play with it. This is an attractive opportunity to try it out. Thanks for the heads up!

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Home assistant has continued to power ahead and is worth checking out.
It's been developing at a rapid rate and is ridiculously easy to get a good configuration up and running in minutes, not hours weeks or months like older versions.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here have utilized Homeseer since the late 1990's and initially only on Windows.

Today running Homeseer 3 on Ubuntu and some Homeseer 3 SAPI stuff on the same box using Windows 7 embedded.

That said a while back did implement OpenHAB and it worked well for me on Ubuntu.

I have also implemented and used the Securifi Almond Plus, Samsung Smartthings Hub and Hubitat hub.

Lately have been tinkering with Home Assistant and MQTT.

A few months back built a tiny lite Intel server based on a TV Box with built in Gb, WiFi, Blue tooth, 4Gb of RAM and a 64Gb eMMC.
The box came with Windows 10 which I wiped out. I installed a virtual box of Windows 7 embedded on it.

This box is running Homeseer (in Ubuntu), Home Assistant in Docker and Node Red.

With Intel I can run Windows virtual boxes. I also did similiar with a 9 Core ARM TV Box running Armbian Linux.

I am liking Home Assistant and currently do use my Amazon Alexa devices as TTS clients to Home Assistant. Works great.