How best to manually cut off wire ends on a pass through RJ45 connector

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thought I would try those pass through RJ45 connectors but did not know you need a special tool to crimp and cut the ends. I just have one to do but it’s in a barely accessible spot so I do not want to screw it up! Has anyone used these pass through connectors and hand trimmed off the ends with electrician scissors or a razor blade? Perhaps you have a better technique?

Tubac

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I use the crimper tool as well. Works great. Some times, I need to crimp 2 or 3 times to get the ends to cut off completely. If not, after the 2nd crimp typically you can pull the excess of with your fingers.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I use the crimper tool as well. Works great. Some times, I need to crimp 2 or 3 times to get the ends to cut off completely. If not, after the 2nd crimp typically you can pull the excess of with your fingers.
On my crimpers - there is a screw and a small metal plate that holds the blade in place (see pic). I made sure the screw is nice and tight, and no more problemsGR8II-208.jpg

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
FWIW, I press the wires through as hard as I can and cut with my tiny wire snips. Then I pull the cable back ever so slightly and crimp with my regular crimper. Not saying it's the best way out there, but it's worked without issue for me.
That's the best way to do it, I have never used the cut crimp combo, I use electrician scissors and cut the extra as close as possible at a slight angle the pull back a little so any conductor is a bit below flush, after you crimp it will be just about flush.

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use the crimp tool. Worth every penny. Buy once, cry once. I'm about through the 50 pack for my current build and I find the crimper to be invaluable. I'll never go back to the old ends. If you just have one to do it's likely not worth it, but man is it ever a time saver -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S3VHKPM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
YUP! It is a better mousetrap and I would not go back. I am done much quicker and never had an issue. I tossed my other crimping tool and connectors after using the pass through connectors and crimping tool.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
YUP! It is a better mousetrap and I would not go back. I am done much quicker and never had an issue. I tossed my other crimping tool and connectors after using the pass through connectors and crimping tool.
Nothing like making terminations while on a ladder or with the cable above your head. The less time I spend doing that, the better. Accuracy is key and I like to get it right the first time!

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have also injected dielectric grease into the connection prior to inserting the wire, especially if they're going to be somewhere with weather fluctuations. I haven't noted significant issues anywhere, but I'm sure they'll dry out eventually.

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^^I did this same dielectric grease into the connection and then wrap the dahua waterproof connectors with Silicone Rubber Self Fusing Tape.

PJBeee

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW, I press the wires through as hard as I can and cut with my tiny wire snips. Then I pull the cable back ever so slightly and crimp with my regular crimper. Not saying it's the best way out there, but it's worked without issue for me.
I concur, doctor. This works like a champ. My regular crimper, an old Milestek 40-20016 (had it for years, can't find them online these days) lets me view the front of the plug before it's fully crimped. I can pull the cable back slightly, as noted, and bingo.

I bought a 100-pack of Wbox connectors, which were fairly expensive, but I generally trust the brand (ADI's house brand). Says they are for both solid and stranded wire, and so far 100% after about 10 connectors attached, solid and stranded.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thought I would try those pass through RJ45 connectors but did not know you need a special tool to crimp and cut the ends. I just have one to do but it’s in a barely accessible spot so I do not want to screw it up! Has anyone used these pass through connectors and hand trimmed off the ends with electrician scissors or a razor blade? Perhaps you have a better technique?

Tubac
Once I pass the wires through I cut them as close as possible with my wire scissors and then pull the cable back just enough to make the wire ends flush with the connector.

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I did not already have a tool for cutting the jacket off that I like, that looks like a winner too.

Markh_75

n3wb
Reaction score
Just started doing my own cables; the wifi signal in our house can be a bit patchy so I decided to make a wired connection to my TV; with Wifi, it kept losing signal, wired connection is much better!

My first effort was okay-ish; the wires went in fine, but when I went to cut off the ends after the plug it affected the No. 1 connection (Orange/white). While the tester said all was fine I still had to cut the rest of the wires shorter, thats what distorted the first connection.IMG_1880 2.JPG
Those wire ends dont look very good and No.1 connection is a bit sorry for itself.:(

I decided to do this plug again.
THIS TIME, I prepared the wires in the normal way, got it all set up and pushed the wires in - I must say these pass through RJ45's are brilliant! They take all the guess work out of a rather tricky operation (if your hands are large like mine it can make it tough, and if they are prone to the shakes! Wires are fine, all in the right order; I then cut off the extra as close to the plug as possible, pulled the plug forward a tiny bit over the cut wire ends and 'Crimp'! I'm alot happier with this, no bent contacts, neater and tests out perfectly.:cool:
IMG_1884 2.JPG
Much better and with a tiny bit of further improvement in future but this is far better than my first result by miles! Next time I can pull the plug forwards a tiny bit more.

It was after reading through this thread that gave me a bit more confidence on what to do and how to achieve it, so thanks to all!:wave: Cheers guys!