How best to manually cut off wire ends on a pass through RJ45 connector

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just started doing my own cables; the wifi signal in our house can be a bit patchy so I decided to make a wired connection to my TV; with Wifi, it kept losing signal, wired connection is much better!

My first effort was okay-ish; the wires went in fine, but when I went to cut off the ends after the plug it affected the No. 1 connection (Orange/white). While the tester said all was fine I still had to cut the rest of the wires shorter, thats what distorted the first connection.View attachment 177436
Those wire ends dont look very good and No.1 connection is a bit sorry for itself.:(

I decided to do this plug again.
THIS TIME, I prepared the wires in the normal way, got it all set up and pushed the wires in - I must say these pass through RJ45's are brilliant! They take all the guess work out of a rather tricky operation (if your hands are large like mine it can make it tough, and if they are prone to the shakes! Wires are fine, all in the right order; I then cut off the extra as close to the plug as possible, pulled the plug forward a tiny bit over the cut wire ends and 'Crimp'! I'm alot happier with this, no bent contacts, neater and tests out perfectly.:cool:
View attachment 177437
Much better and with a tiny bit of further improvement in future but this is far better than my first result by miles! Next time I can pull the plug forwards a tiny bit more.

It was after reading through this thread that gave me a bit more confidence on what to do and how to achieve it, so thanks to all!:wave: Cheers guys!
The wires are still sticking out past the connector.
Best way I found with the pass-thrus is to push all wires out past the connector, then snip all parallel to the connector, then pull back cable so wires are just inside the connector. Then crimp.

Markh_75

n3wb
Reaction score
What I was trying to achieve, it looks alot better than my first attempt, it’ll do for me, next time I’ll pull the plug over just a little more next time

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Can’t you just use a sharp utility knife, should give you a nice sharp finish rather then what looks like the cat chewed the ends off finish that you currently have

Markh_75

n3wb
Reaction score
The second try is alot better than the first, maybe you are looking at the wrong pictures. I’m not doing it again. You can’t use a utility knife because it’s harder wire and will damage the blade, I already tried that; which is why I redid this plug.
Thank you.