How do I confirm VPN is working?

Rick Simonton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm using OpenVPN Connect on my phone, and I get the VPN indicator at the top of the screen, but I don't know where to go from there. How do I see my home network, or Mac, or especially my Hik IP Camera.
I'm attempting to connect to the camera via iVMS-4500. But I keep getting connection failed or that it is not registered with DDNS...I'm sure i'm not adding the camera to the app correctly, but I'm not 100% the VPN is working either. Can anybody point me to documentation to get me over this last hurdle?

Thanks in advance!
Rick

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use the app on your phone at home on wifi without the openvpn. Verify it works.
Go to a remote location that has wifi, coffee shop. Start the openvpn,try the app.

On the phone at home withoout VPN, use the browser and a camera IP address, do you see the camera login page.
On the phone remote location wifi , start openvpn, access the camera on the browser.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You dont have to go to a remote location. You simply need to disable wifi on your phone so it connects via cellular.
Ensure you are using your LOCAL ip in the address box.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to go to a remote location. Not all cell services will work with a VPN. You need to determine if the VPN is working and then if it is supported by your cell service.

Using the cell phone at home will tell you it is working. But if it is not working it will provide no information as to the cause of the problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to go to a remote location. Not all cell services will work with a VPN. You need to determine if the VPN is working and then if it is supported by your cell service.

Using the cell phone at home will tell you it is working. But if it is not working it will provide no information as to the cause of the problem.
All cell services that I know of work with vpn. A vpn would be pointless if you could only use it when you are on wifi someplace else.

Rick Simonton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think I understand the concept of using the two different networks one at a time. And I can make my iPhone display the VPN indicator on either, as if its working...but I don't think it is.
Using the cameras IP address in safari, I can't get to the Login page with VPN on !
HOWEVER ... I can get to the login page with VPN turned off. I can't see the video, because there is no safari ios plugin. Also ivms 4500 won't find my camera for some reason, so its no help.
Taking the cameras out of the equation, the first baby step I need to understand is, how can I confirm if the VPN is on and working,
If the VPN tunnels me to my home network I should be able to see the macs on my network. Getting a file from my mac might be a good test of connectivity. What app on my phone would give me this visibility ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I understand the concept of using the two different networks one at a time. And I can make my iPhone display the VPN indicator on either, as if its working...but I don't think it is.
Using the cameras IP address in safari, I can't get to the Login page with VPN on !
HOWEVER ... I can get to the login page with VPN turned off. I can't see the video, because there is no safari ios plugin. Also ivms 4500 won't find my camera for some reason, so its no help.
Taking the cameras out of the equation, the first baby step I need to understand is, how can I confirm if the VPN is on and working,
If the VPN tunnels me to my home network I should be able to see the macs on my network. Getting a file from my mac might be a good test of connectivity. What app on my phone would give me this visibility ?
a simple way to test would be to check the public ip of the cell phone, it should match the home.
ensure you are NOT connected to the home wifi when attempting to connect to the vpn. Disable the wifi on the phone.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not knowledgeable of MAC or apple products !

What are you using for your openVPN server ?
Is it an application on a router ?
Who is your internet service provider ?
What is ISP modem/router make and model number ?
Are you using a ASUS router as the server for the openVPN ?
What service are you using for your DDNS ?

Provide a simple diagram of your home network, modem,router, switches, cameras. Include make and model number,

There should be a log file for the openVPN server, what does it indicate

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Make sure to check "Send all traffic" on your VPN setup on your iPhone.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the home network what are you running openVPN on. The hardware ?

Provide a simple diagram of your home network, modem,router, switches, cameras. Include make and model number,

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is an ASUS and you should be able to see the "connected" indication on the router OpenVPN status page for confirmation.
Also need to verify the DDNS you set up (ASUS?) is working correctly.

Rick Simonton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am not knowledgeable of MAC or apple products !

What are you using for your openVPN server ?
Is it an application on a router ?
Who is your internet service provider ?
What is ISP modem/router make and model number ?
Are you using a ASUS router as the server for the openVPN ?
What service are you using for your DDNS ?
There should be a log file for the openVPN server, what does it indicate
Most of this is on the diagram above but I will respond tomorrow a.m. more completely . I'm fading now and need to hit the sack.

Rick

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm using OpenVPN Connect, and i can't find "Send all traffic" either on the client app or in the iPhone settings section.
Where do I find it?
This may not be necessary when using OpenVPN. I needed to do it when using the VPN app which came with the IOS software.

Bob

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the hardwired Mac can not access all the cameras, then you need to solve that problem first.
As I said I am not a Mac person.
Are all the cameras have static IP addresses ?
What are the IP address of
1) IP cameras
2) the Mac with sdap.
3) the Asus router.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
a simple way to test would be to check the public ip of the cell phone, it should match the home.
ensure you are NOT connected to the home wifi when attempting to connect to the vpn. Disable the wifi on the phone.
As fenderman suggests, make sure the VPN is turned on and use Safari to check your IP address. (whatismyip.com)

You should return your home ip address.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at Rick's diagram almost nothing is working. He needs to get his home network and devices work, before attempting to get VPN working.

Rick Simonton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I've been down with the flu for a couple of days and not as responsive on this forum as I would liked to have been.
It seems that the diagram I created was confusing so please allow me to clarify...

Both macs can see all three cameras, via IP address into the browser. The "not working" only applies to the specific software it is co-located with.
On the macs: The iVMS-4200 software can not see the video though it can see some of the camera data.
Also the SADP software can recognize the two newer cameras but not my first (gray market) camera
On the iphone: the iVMS-4500 can not see the cameras but i think that has more to do with my feeble attempts to create an OpenVPN.
Currently with the VPN OFF i can get to the login page of all three cameras by via IP addreess into the browser of the iphone.