How I choose a PoE from the list?

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello

I saw the sticky post. Pretty cool that someone would spend the time to do that. Great job!

However I'm not clear on how to use it to actually select a PoE. I'm trying to put together an 8x4mp camera setup. I believe gigabit uplink is a good choice for 8+ cameras if I'm not mistaken. Unless there is a good reason to spend more, I'd love to keep this thing under $100 and if cheaper all the better.

Based on this I keep arriving at the Amcrest AGPS9E8P-AT-96 as my best option at like $85. Anyone have any experience with this or can provide me with feedback on if this is a good choice? Should I be considering something else? Is PoE+ necessary?

Thanks
Sam

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello

I saw the sticky post. Pretty cool that someone would spend the time to do that. Great job!

However I'm not clear on how to use it to actually select a PoE. I'm trying to put together an 8x4mp camera setup. I believe gigabit uplink is a good choice for 8+ cameras if I'm not mistaken. Unless there is a good reason to spend more, I'd love to keep this thing under $100 and if cheaper all the better.

Based on this I keep arriving at the Amcrest AGPS9E8P-AT-96 as my best option at like $85. Anyone have any experience with this or can provide me with feedback on if this is a good choice? Should I be considering something else? Is PoE+ necessary?

Thanks
Sam
Hi @MonitorMyHome

Looks like a decent PoE switch, iirc Dahua distributes it and you'll also see the same switch under Montavue's branding.

Lorex may also rebrand it... or maybe just the larger PoE switches from Dahua.

If you're on a tight budget and can wait - during Black Friday - cyberweek I've seen it go for some of the best prices from Amcrest and Montavue.

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @MonitorMyHome

Looks like a decent PoE switch, iirc Dahua distributes it and you'll also see the same switch under Montavue's branding.

Lorex may also rebrand it... or maybe just the larger PoE switches from Dahua.

If you're on a tight budget and can wait - during Black Friday - cyberweek I've seen it go for some of the best prices from Amcrest and Montavue.
I’m not in a rush. And while not on a super tight budget a good deal is always appreciated. I’ll keep my eye out then.

Right now I have
i7-4790 PC w 8GB RAM
SSD
6TB Purple
Raspberry Pi for a VPN server

My shopping list is
Blue Iris
PoE
NIC
Cameras

Anything else I’m missing other than some Cat5/6? I don’t think I’m doing the wiring myself. Only so much time in my day.

thanks
Sam

Last edited:

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Look for the used open box deals on Amazon. I just got a $300 managed switch for $130. All it was missing was original box and the software cd. All the software was online so no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look for the used open box deals on Amazon. I just got a $300 managed switch for $130. All it was missing was original box and the software cd. All the software was online so no big deal.

great find. what model?

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

While tempting, I'd rather stick to something I can get under $100 unless you guys believe there is a good reason to pay more for one. For 8 cameras in my first system I just feel like I'd rather not over spend.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While tempting, I'd rather stick to something I can get under $100 unless you guys believe there is a good reason to pay more for one. For 8 cameras in my first system I just feel like I'd rather not over spend.
I was just pointing out that you can get a really good deal looking for used/open box on amazon. Every thing I’ve got like that from amazon was always just an unused returned item it something that the box was damaged or missing. None of it’s ever seemed used.
So if you look you can potentially get a nice switch for under $100 instead of just a mediocre switch.

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was just pointing out that you can get a really good deal looking for used/open box on amazon. Every thing I’ve got like that from amazon was always just an unused returned item it something that the box was damaged or missing. None of it’s ever seemed used.
So if you look you can potentially get a nice switch for under $100 instead of just a mediocre switch.

Yep appreciate you pointing that out. I’m just wondering if there is a good reason to pay up for an eight camera setup.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can get a used Netgear 24-Port JGS524PE for $100 used on eBay. 24-Ports | 12x POE 100w. Rack mountable. It's what I went with, not that that means anything. But I can say it does what I need it to. Only reason I can see wanting to change it out would be to get a 10gbps switch.

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can get a used Netgear 24-Port JGS524PE for $100 used on eBay. 24-Ports | 12x POE 100w. Rack mountable. It's what I went with, not that that means anything. But I can say it does what I need it to. Only reason I can see wanting to change it out would be to get a 10gbps switch.
Does it matter that it’s not PoE+?

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not that I know of. I'm powering 6x Dahua DH-IPC-HDBW4433R-ZS and 2x Netgear GS108T.V2 Pro Safe 8 Port Gigabit Switches off mine.

I think my camera's only use like 6 watts a piece or something. Same with the switches.

Last edited:

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not that I know of. I'm powering 6x Dahua DH-IPC-HDBW4433R-ZS and 2x Netgear GS108T.V2 Pro Safe 8 Port Gigabit Switches off mine.

I think my camera's only use like 6 watts a piece or something. Same with the switches.
Picked one up for $70 shipped. Next up picking cameras.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi @MonitorMyHome

Is Montavue a reputable company?
When I checked them out online the same location in Montana pops up that I saw when I originally scoped out Lorex hardware and found them as a supplier under the name of onpointsurveillance.com.The store front shown below shows nothing to do with security systems. Perhaps a backroom business for Thermal Supply Inc.? Just curious. Thanks.

montavue.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I checked them out online the same location in Montana pops up that I saw when I originally scoped out Lorex hardware and found them as a supplier under the name of onpointsurveillance.com.The store front shown below shows nothing to do with security systems. Perhaps a backroom business for Thermal Supply Inc.? Just curious. Thanks.

View attachment 48340
they simply rebrand dahua, they are reputable.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

View attachment 48340
Same folks iirc - sell both Dahua OEM international models under the brand Montavue and also Lorex models as a vendor onpointsurveillance.

( btw - keep an eye out for BF-cyberweek deals from them )

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
For an 8-port PoE Switch, you really can't go wrong this Zylex, GS1900-8HP

Their customer service is top-notch.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.