How much "hidden" should be a dome camera from sunlight....

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
As title shows, I'm trying to use the wedge camera on(around) one of the columns of my porch. Columns are 3-3/8" square wood ones.
How far in has to be the camera(dome), that the sun would not damage the dome?

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sunlight won't damage the dome but bright, direct sunlight could potentially wash-out the picture. Place it where it will be shaded from direct, strong sunlight that is directly in your focal path if possible. Other than that anywhere is fine.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sunlight won't damage the dome but bright, direct sunlight could potentially wash-out the picture. Place it where it will be shaded from direct, strong sunlight that is directly in your focal path if possible. Other than that anywhere is fine.
Hi The_E

I will testify that yes, overtime heat / sunlight and UV will damage / hasten the decay of the dome and foam / rubber "gasket" around the lens. Just a question of time before you notice...

As title shows, I'm trying to use the wedge camera on(around) one of the columns of my porch. Columns are 3-3/8" square wood ones.
How far in has to be the camera(dome), that the sun would not damage the dome?
Hi tibimakai,

We've seen reports here that within 1-2 years dome cameras exposed outdoors can start to have failures with internal IR reflections within the dome hitting the camera lens due to the internal foam / rubber decaying ( this can also be due to temp extremes within the dome ). The dome itself seems to be more durable and thus we see less frequent cloudy dome issues.

Domes can be replaced, and there is some possible DIY foam / rubber "gasket" replacements you can do. So if you're needing to go with one of those nice wedge models, just plan the life of those components to be reduced. How much? Hard to say. I'd keep it shaded as much as possible during the hottest / strongest sunlight time of the day.

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi The_E

I will testify that yes, overtime heat / sunlight and UV will damage / hasten the decay of the dome and foam / rubber "gasket" around the lens. Just a question of time before you notice...

Hi tibimakai,

We've seen reports here that within 1-2 years dome cameras exposed outdoors can start to have failures with internal IR reflections within the dome hitting the camera lens due to the internal foam / rubber decaying ( this can also be due to temp extremes within the dome ). The dome itself seems to be more durable and thus we see less frequent cloudy dome issues.

Domes can be replaced, and there is some possible DIY foam / rubber "gasket" replacements you can do. So if you're needing to go with one of those nice wedge models, just plan the life of those components to be reduced. How much? Hard to say. I'd keep it shaded as much as possible during the hottest / strongest sunlight time of the day.
Well obviously the sun and elements will have their way with just about everything, cameras or otherwise. Would you pass up a prime viewing location because the dome may cloud up and the gasket may fail after a couple years? Maybe we should just keep all the gear inside, in bubble wrap so that we don't have to worry about what might happen a couple years down the road? :p

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well obviously the sun and elements will have their way with just about everything, cameras or otherwise. Would you pass up a prime viewing location because the dome may could up and the gasket may fail after a couple years? Maybe we should just keep all the gear inside, in bubble wrap so that we don't have to worry about what might happen a couple years down the road? :p
Hi @The_E

I would NOT install a dome camera there, instead I would install a turret which has less issues.

Also if the customer is OK with replacing / refurbishing the dome camera every 1-3 years.. then that's up to them. For me I like my equipment to last 5 years+

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem is, that I need it at the entrance/porch and a turret would look a bit to big/obvious. Another thing is, that I would really have the best camera there, a 4MP Starlight varifocal eyeball, which they don't sell yet.
And I already have the 2MP wedge camera.
Initially, I wanted installed on the stucco by the door, but things have changed. Now I can only install it, at the entrance of the porch.

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The problem is, that I need it at the entrance/porch and a turret would look a bit to big/obvious. Another thing is, that I would really have the best camera there, a 4MP Starlight varifocal eyeball, which they don't sell yet.
And I already have the 2MP wedge camera.
Initially, I wanted installed on the stucco by the door, but things have changed. Now I can only install it, at the entrance of the porch.
I'd say go for it! Will you be upset if you get two to three good years out of it? I know I'd be okay with that if it's capturing the angles that I need. And chances are you'll get more... where do you live?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Los Angeles.
I'm trying right now, my older 5231R-Z(Mickey Mouse), it is less noticeable, than the ZE model. I have switched the ZE, with the Z.
The wedge will be placed, on the side of the house, that area is fully covered.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles.
I'm trying right now, my older 5231R-Z(Mickey Mouse), it is less noticeable, than the ZE model. I have switched the ZE, with the Z.
The wedge will be placed, on the side of the house, that area is fully covered.
Hi tibimakai

So one way which I believe works well ( I also have a nice wedge camera ) is to install the wedge in a place where there is enough ambient light to keep it in color mode at night. This way the internal IR leds will not light up and you will not have to worry about the IR light reflecting back into the lens. This would keep the camera functioning longer as one of the major complaints about issues with domes outdoors is the internal reflection of IR light back into the lens ( especially an issue when the foam / rubber gasket decays ). It will take longer for the dome itself to show decay to where it gets "foggy" when under direct UV exposure.

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi tibimakai

So one way which I believe works well ( I also have a nice wedge camera ) is to install the wedge in a place where there is enough ambient light to keep it in color mode at night. This way the internal IR leds will not light up and you will not have to worry about the IR light reflecting back into the lens. This would keep the camera functioning longer as one of the major complaints about issues with domes outdoors is the internal reflection of IR light back into the lens ( especially an issue when the foam / rubber gasket decays ). It will take longer for the dome itself to show decay to where it gets "foggy" when under direct UV exposure.
I keep chuckling when you refer to these wedge cameras as "nice". C'mon, they're just about the biggest (or smallest) pieces of sheet out there. Hmm... don't place it in the sun, and don't use the IR.... hell... why use the camera? :lol:

Kidding aside, I love the form factor, but they really are junk. Great concept, poor execution.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I keep chuckling when you refer to these wedge cameras as "nice". C'mon, they're just about the biggest (or smallest) pieces of sheet out there. Hmm... don't place it in the sun, and don't use the IR.... hell... why use the camera? :lol:

Kidding aside, I love the form factor, but they really are junk. Great concept, poor execution.
Hi @The_E

I have once again to completely disagree with your view on this.

1) IR mode is not required for all cameras in low light conditions. With enough ambient light I can keep my Dahua OEM 2MP starlight mini-dome wedge in color mode around the clock. No problems at all.

2) While I think it can be improved upon as a camera, the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight mini-dome wedge ( or the dual lens version ), is my preferred "at eye level" by my front door camera. I have found no better option for that position.

If you've not read prior posts here by me and others on this topic, I suggest you do so before deciding to get argumentative on this topic.

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @The_E

I have once again to completely disagree with your view on this.

1) IR mode is not required for all cameras in low light conditions. With enough ambient light I can keep my Dahua OEM 2MP starlight mini-dome wedge in color mode around the clock. No problems at all.

2) While I think it can be improved upon as a camera, the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight mini-dome wedge ( or the dual lens version ), is my preferred "at eye level" by my front door camera. I have found no better option for that position.

If you've not read prior posts here by me and others on this topic, I suggest you do so before deciding to get argumentative on this topic.
Wow. Okay then. Argumentative? No problem, mat200..... sorry I stepped on your lawn big fella. I mean, what do I know, right? Please don't assume that because my Profile says "n3wb" and I have less than 30posts that somehow I actually am a newbie. I feel like there's a few of you old timers here that are of the "my way or the highway" mentality.

I'm happy that mini-domes work for you... but they're not necessarily the best option for everyone just because they've served your particular situation well. YOUR opinion is just that, and no more or less valid than mine.

Also, if you're going to reference yourself perhaps do me the solid of posting a link, so I don't have to weed through 4700 posts. Cheers, take care.

Last edited:

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What do you suggest to install around the door then, if the wedge is not good?
Well you already have it, so it'll probably be fine. I'm not anti-mini dome, I just had to chuckle at the absurdity of being warned against using it as it's intended and still being referred to as "nice". :lol: (But they really do seem to suffer quite badly with IR bounce back issues)

I suppose my answer is to ask more questions.... Is your doorway open and exposed, or more corridor/vestibule like? Is it lit at night, or mainly dark? What are you trying to capture... an overview of the entire area, only people/faces at the door up close and personal, do you need to see the ground / packages? Do you require vandal-resistant cams, or is a turret acceptable? You live in LA so I guess rain isn't a huge factor very often, but is the area you're thinking about exposed to full elements? Is it particularly dusty where you live / where the cam will be?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
It is fully covered porch, no light nearby, just out in the street. I also have a 5231R-ZE watching across the porch(mounted it on the garage wall).
Turret would be to big of a camera around the door.
I don't care in other areas of my house, but at the front door, I don't want to go bigger, than an eyeball camera

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say go for it! Will you be upset if you get two to three good years out of it? I know I'd be okay with that if it's capturing the angles that I need. And chances are you'll get more... where do you live?
Personally, Id be upset. To me CCTV is fit and forget (with the exception of the odd wipe), until the camera dies or something so ground breakingly better comes out that it's time to replace it. The last camera I want to fit is one that requires me to spend $200 replacing it every 2 years. We have a dome camera outside where I work. It's not the sunniest site nor am I in the sunniest country, UK, but after 5 years, it's so opaque it might as well not be there. As Matt said, domes are also prone to reflections both from IR and other light sources as the dome is not optically perfect. For this reason domes are best suited to internal use and turrets outside.

Tibi, I'd be most worried for it's long term clarity if it gets any direct sunlight. It's direct sunlight that results in the highest UV exposure. If it's shaded for the whole day, then it will last considerably longer as the IR will be limited to what is reflected off nearby surfaces and so be very much lower. That said, a turret is still a very much better option if you haven't already purchased.

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Personally, Id be upset. To me CCTV is fit and forget (with the exception of the odd wipe), until the camera dies or something so ground breakingly better comes out that it's time to replace it. The last camera I want to fit is one that requires me to spend $200 replacing it every 2 years.

We have a dome camera outside where I work. It's not the sunniest site nor am I in the sunniest country, UK, but after 5 years, it's so opaque it might as well not be there. As Matt said, domes are also prone to reflections both from IR and other light sources as the dome is not optically perfect. For this reason domes are best suited to internal use and turrets outside.
Fair point Sir. You could have someone spend 10 Pounds and 15 minutes replacing the lexan dome. Turrets are great I'm not debating that. But they're not as vandal resistant as domes, so if mounted down low and reachable sometimes a dome is preferable over a turret. There's pros and cons to each style, right? The man has a mini dome - he should use it wherever it makes sense for him. It's not like its an $800.00 camera. The most inexpensive camera is the one you already have.

Last edited:

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@tibimakai, check out this thread.
Remember it isn't just sunlight that destroys plastic. I've spent enough time in So. Cal. to know that the atmosphere carries other items that will degrade the plastic quickly.
Also remember, nothing will beat a baseball bat, can of spray paint, or the good 'ol mask and hat!!!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well you already have it, so it'll probably be fine. I'm not anti-mini dome, I just had to chuckle at the absurdity of being warned against using it as it's intended and still being referred to as "nice". :lol: (But they really do seem to suffer quite badly with IR bounce back issues)

I suppose my answer is to ask more questions.... Is your doorway open and exposed, or more corridor/vestibule like? Is it lit at night, or mainly dark? What are you trying to capture... an overview of the entire area, only people/faces at the door up close and personal, do you need to see the ground / packages? Do you require vandal-resistant cams, or is a turret acceptable? You live in LA so I guess rain isn't a huge factor very often, but is the area you're thinking about exposed to full elements? Is it particularly dusty where you live / where the cam will be?
Hi @The_E

We've covered the topic of problems with dome cameras extensively here in the forum. It is covered in the cliff notes.
We've also covered the usefulness of the wedge camera models extensively here in the forum.
We even have numerous reviews on mini-dome cameras and members recommendations on use and setup.

You're clearly overlooking or purposefully ignoring the extensive amount of knowledge and experience that members of this forum are sharing with each others and imho being a jerk about it when folks are getting the executive summary about it.

Wow. Okay then. Argumentative? No problem, mat200..... sorry I stepped on your lawn big fella. I mean, what do I know, right? Please don't assume that because my Profile says "n3wb" and I have less than 30posts that somehow I actually am a newbie. I feel like there's a few of you old timers here that are of the "my way or the highway" mentality.

I'm happy that mini-domes work for you... but they're not necessarily the best option for everyone just because they've served your particular situation well. YOUR opinion is just that, and no more or less valid than mine.

Also, if you're going to reference yourself perhaps do me the solid of posting a link, so I don't have to weed through 4700 posts. Cheers, take care.
Search is in the upper corner of the desktop version of this website.
Cliff notes are pointed to repeatedly.

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @The_E

We've covered the topic of problems with dome cameras extensively here in the forum. It is covered in the cliff notes.
We've also covered the usefulness of the wedge camera models extensively here in the forum.
We even have numerous reviews on mini-dome cameras and members recommendations on use and setup.

You're clearly overlooking or purposefully ignoring the extensive amount of knowledge and experience that members of this forum are sharing with each others and imho being a jerk about it when folks are getting the executive summary about it.

Search is in the upper corner of the desktop version of this website.
Cliff notes are pointed to repeatedly.
Thanks mat200. I appreciate your opinion and insight.

I am not and have not disagreed with the facts. In my opinion people that provide only one option and sell that as the only way are ignoring different end user requirements. I didn't see you asking thoughtful, purposeful questions about the end user's requirements or environment.

You and I have a different style. Lets leave well enough alone and move on. Thanks again for your insight and experience. I look forward to learning from you!