How much P on a POE slitter?

HoosierD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I want to throw an IR ulliminator next a camera. The cam gets power from my switch and I was thinking of using splitters and wall wart to power the illuminator. How many amps (or watts) can you run through CAT5? And, will this work? Are the "two" power feeds on separate pairs?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's better to stick to the 802.3af and 802.3at standards. 802.3at is rated for more power, but within the spec, you'd be limited by both the rating of the PoE switch and splitter. no-name PoE splitters often overstate the amount of power they can deliver.

802.3at uses all the wires in a cat5e cable.

Power over Ethernet - Wikipedia

HoosierD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is why you always pull 2 or more ethernet cables, one more than you think you will need.
I understand running two cables to each location, and have two CAT5 cables in this location. I wanted to save the extra as the intended backup. Apparently two cables are pointless if one were to exceet 802.3at which allows for 25.5W max over the cable and an illuminator exceeds that. But thanks for the advice.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So that says, "48V Passive PoE and 12VDC outputs".
Does this mean it would power the device connected to the 12VDC plug out but there would no longer be power going to the ethernet out?
I would need something that does this but splits the power so both the camera connected to the ethernet cable and the IR connected to the 12VDC plug received power. Or am I misunderstanding how these work?