How to digital zoom?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are now using IE. A number of options ‘disappear’ or just don’t work properly when using other browsers especially in some of the newer cams.

The glitch that you are seeing with video off the page I’ve seen before and it does manifest itself on occasion. What I would have you try first is zooming the web browser window (not the cam) in and out to see if that helps. In other words CTRL and - keys or CTRL and + keys. Not knowing what resolution you are running your monitor in, I’m not going to state that this will absolutely resolve but try that first.

With regards to your question about NVRs. For individuals wanting easier management of their system, don’t like messing with Windows, Mac, Linux based solutions then YES these can absolutely be a great option. Also those that don’t want / need to separate their cams on POE switches for specific topology or infrastructure reasons but instead want to wire directly to the NVR (with built in POE switch) than again this can be a good option. No disrespect meant whatsoever when I say that it does look like you are getting frustrated with your current situation (using a browser, setup, configuration etc for the cam) and may be out of your comfort zone so therefore you may benefit and enjoy an NVR based solution so you can set and forget (within reason). Regardless of set top based or computer I would definitely recommend you firewall your devices and NVR. Certainly down to individual preference but always advocate for that in any security install, simple or complex.

Just make sure that if you go with an NVR you build an element of future proofing in. No technology is future proof as we all know BUT with an NVR always size up (have 8 cams then get a 16 port etc), make sure it supports features you need (AI compatibility for newer cams, amount of hard drive support you want / need such as 2 minimum, maybe 4), POE switch version (if wanting to run cams directly) and lastly ensure the NVR you buy supports the number of concurrent streams you need at the resolution your cams feature. For example buying a lower end NVR may give you the ability in total Mbps to sustain 2 4K channels but when you add in a couple of 4MP & 2MP cams to the mix then you can saturate the processing capabilities of the NVR channels. Not a big deal with residential or smaller systems but something to take into account.

With regards to microphone issues using the Mic7 you will need to give us specifics on how you installed, screen grabs of the audio page in the cam menu etc so any of us can try to assist with fault isolation there. I can tell you that I use a number of external mics (am testing another cam now with external run to it) including the fantastic Mic7 you mentioned and all run very well even when using in a 2 way audio environment (based on cam).

HTH

Here's what I get in Internet Explorer. Various options are now visible. (Like speaker, mic and digital zoom) but as you can see the video feed is improper. I'm assuming I'm missing a setting somewhere.

Would using an NVR in conjunction with the camera make any difference? I plan on buying one anyway. Will do it now if I'm wasting my time messing with this. Is an NVR web interface any different? Having to use an outdated browser to view cameras doesn't seem like a viable option to me.

I'm also having trouble with audio. I picked up a microseven mic that was suggested and have it connected properly. Just can't get any sound. I'm wondering if this browser trouble has anything to do with it.

Thanks for your support.

View attachment 51827View attachment 51828

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for your help. You sensed my frustration correctly. lol. Not that I dislike the learning opportunity, but I keep asking myself how much I'll toy with this equipment once it's all set up. Hate having to rely on you folks and others not being able to work through issues on my own. I was leaning toward Blue Iris and a PC. But after these challenges, wondering if I'd be more suited to an NVR.

I've tried zooming in and out with no change. Also tried changing my screen resolution with no luck. I'm semi convinced it's the browser somehow. No idea where to go from here tho.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
The only things I would have you try (without being on your system to see whats going on) would be:

1) Update Flash (although you are now able to view the video so unlikely this will help)
2) Update browser (not sure which version of IE you are running)
3) Try the NACL plugin for Chrome although even that has had some issues recently.
4) Try accessing the camera through iDMSS (iOS version - ‎iDMSS Plus on the App Store) or gDMSS (Android version - gDMSS Plus - Apps on Google Play) to make sure you can connect to the cam. You can also zoom etc here as well as listen in to audio from the Mic (assuming its been configured in the Web GUI of the cam first)

In answer to your question on BI vs NVR. With the frustration you have had then I would personally recommend the NVR in this case. Don't get me wrong BI is phenomenal and I highly recommend it (except for certain use cases / audience requirements) but feel this would be the best bet for you at this time.

Again, on the audio front would need to see the install setup, then the GUI pages from the Audio tab on the camera to assist further.

HTH

Hey man, thanks for your help. You sensed my frustration correctly. lol. Not that I dislike the learning opportunity, but I keep asking myself how much I'll toy with this equipment once it's all set up. Hate having to rely on you folks and others not being able to work through issues on my own. I was leaning toward Blue Iris and a PC. But after these challenges, wondering if I'd be more suited to an NVR.

I've tried zooming in and out with no change. Also tried changing my screen resolution with no luck. I'm semi convinced it's the browser somehow. No idea where to go from here tho.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1. Flash updated.
2. Browser IE 11.
3. I installed the NACL plugin. It's turned on, but doesn't seem to make any difference.
4. I can view the video in IDMSS. No audio.

I also had purchased a PoE splitter with the microseven mic and using it, I tried wiring the mic differently. (As seen in one of the pics. This gave me audio but with pretty sever feedback and echo.

I'm attaching pics of my audio and video settings as well as the two different wiring configurations of the mic.

Audio Setup.jpg Video Setup.jpg

Mic Wiring.png With Poe Splitter.png

Thanks.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While playing around, I noticed when in the Live window (as well as the camera > conditions window), and I restore down the browser window, I can then scroll left/right and up/down inside the window and the video feed moves independently almost in a layer on top of the normal IP Cam window. Definitely weird.

Think resetting the camera and staring fresh would help?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
looks to be more system related than cam. Doesn’t hurt resetting but again looks like system configuration for the viewing window piece.
I’ll review your audio piece you posted too

While playing around, I noticed when in the Live window (as well as the camera > conditions window), and I restore down the browser window, I can then scroll left/right and up/down inside the window and the video feed moves independently almost in a layer on top of the normal IP Cam window. Definitely weird.

Think resetting the camera and staring fresh would help?

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have some additional info.

My laptop is a Microsoft Surface Book. It's display is a little odd. Display resolution is 3000x2000. I installed IE 11 on another laptop with a display resolution of 1366x768. The cam displays fine on it. So, it's definitely my surface book display.

Now how to fix it. I've tried several different resolution settings with no luck. Will keep messing around with it, but if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Audio still an issue on both laptops.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, with some resolution and zoom adjustments, I've managed to solve the issue. When I set the resolution is 1366x768 with 100% zoom, everything is as it should be. I can't use my laptop like this however. But at least I know what is going on.

Hopefully this will help someone else with a surface book searching to figure out what the heck is going on.

Really want to manage things on my Surface Book, so now I need a workaround so I don't have to screw around with my display settings every time I want to work with cameras. I'm wondering if I'll have the same issues with either an NVR web interface (I assume likely) or software like BI.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The audio feed back is because (I'm guessing) is that you have the mic and the laptop in close proximity to each other. Move the laptop into another room.
Or turn down the mic input volume in the cam gui to 50%.
I will wager that a surface won't be something you want to use long term for cameras.
Install Pale Moon 32bit browser, use it to interact with your cameras. You will get at prompt at the first connection with PM that will want you to do download the cameras plug-in....do so.

IMHO, everything new to you\us has a learning curve, I feel that BI is actually easier to setup than any NVR, and certainly has much more capabilities.
Since your fresh to this world, if you want to do it right, don't expect that you will get your head wrapped around it all in one afternoon. Won't happen for most folks.
Patience is a virtue. Take your time to do it right.

If you haven't, study these links:
Cliff Notes
IP Cam Talk Cliff NotesSetup Dahua
IPC/Camera Configuration - Dahua Wiki
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm not an impatient guy and am pretty skilled in many areas of construction. I've done a lot of electrical work. Including wiring homes and installing distribution panels. I have a house full of smart home products. Mostly Insteon, but several other formats. I have all exterior lighting, doors, a bunch of interior lights/outlets controlled by smart devices, I've designed and wired wifi speaker switches for sound and video at several areas outside my home. We frequently watch a 110 inch screen/projector on my back patio that can all be controlled by my android phone or tablet. My home has a monitored, fairly sophisticated security alarm system. I'm not new to technology.

I lowered the mic volume down to 15 and it's much better. (Why didn't I try that before?) but I'm still getting echo and very poor quality audio from the mic when connected with the PoE splitter even with the laptop far away from the camera. (different floor). Don't get any audio when connected the way Microseven suggested. Maybe the mic is bad? I've messed with the sampling frequency and encode modes in the GUI without much change. Don't really see what else I can change to rectify this issue. I've read most of what you suggested. I guess what I really don't get is why doesn't Dahua update their software to work reliably on current browsers? Using an antiquated, insecure browser like IE11 is crazy. Is the software any different on the Dahua branded product vs. Andy's stuff? Is this typical in the surveillance camera world? Is Hikvision the same?

Microsoft's own security chief has warned millions of people who continue to use Internet Explorer as a default web browser are placing themselves in "peril".

The company, which first developed Internet Explorer in 1995, is no longer supporting new development for the web browser. Continued use of the software was potentially risky, according to Chris Jackson, Microsoft’s worldwide lead for cyber security.

Pretty ironic that we're using a browser like IE11 to configure surveillance cameras in a security system.

Pale moon gives me an Error-Error #2154

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IE STATUS

You don't have to have IE as default browser, and only use IE for camera Web UI. IE is supported. Read the first paragraph of the updated article you refererenced.
Also, in the comments of the article is a link to google that shows how to automatically go from Chrome to IE for specified URLs if desired. It might be useful.

IE WEB UI PROBLEM

Perhaps you could use this to fix your IE Web UI scaling problem. The folders in Webrec may have different names on your PC.

1) Please navigate to C:/Program Files.
2) Go to the folder named 'Webrec'.
Go to Torch folder.
3) Go to the folder named 3.0.0.3
4) Right Click on the WebActiveX and go to 'Properties'.
5) Click on the 'Compatibility' tab and check the box 'Override high DPI scaling behavior ' and select 'Application' for 'Scaling performed by'.
6) Click on apply and OK and now restart internet explorer.

AUDIO

I saw your POE splitter snapshot. A few suggested troubleshooting things to see if sound improves.
Point the mic away from the camera, etc.
Plug in a different 12V source to the mic separate from the splitter 12V to camera.
Remove power from mic. I remember reading once that the mic will still work if less than 10-15ft from camera.
Or maybe you need a better splitter. See amazon microseven splitter user comments...

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will continue to work on this. Thanks for your comments!