IDMS plus or lite not working with phone data

Mikefsm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

I have installed on my Iphone the IDMSS app for watching the cameras, however, when I try to access it from the data on my plan the app doesn't connect. Now when I connect though a WI-FI network it does? What is happening?

Thanks

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi there, that can be couple of things. There were some forum members with a particular 4G provider that some capabilities did not work.

But first things first: did you actually set port forwards on your WAN IP address to connect iDMSS to? If so, please disable that RIGHT NOW. Why? Because read the Cliff Notes.

There are secure alternatives available which will not only protect your devices but also your home network from alien invasions.

This being said: when implementing a VPN, you will for sure eliminate ANY interference caused by your 4G provider: your VPN tunnel will encrypt all your 4G data, so they cannot actually see/inspect what traffic you are generating (eg towards port 80 of your IPC/NVR), so they cannot block any traffic either. Please read VPN Primer for Noobs for more details.

Hope this helps!
CC

Mikefsm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey there!
Thanks for taking your time to help me with this
. Now some updates, I checked the configuration on my video recorder and there was nothing about a wan ip or so..
Then, about the vpn thing, I’m not sure what you mean, if you mean a vpn on my cellphone or somewhere, the thing is that the app was working just fine on Sunday, a day after I got error messages saying error connecting. I gruñiré to uninstalled the app, even registering the recorder from scratch and still nothing!
The app works well with wi-fi but no data phone

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey there!
Thanks for taking your time to help me with this
. Now some updates, I checked the configuration on my video recorder and there was nothing about a wan ip or so..
Then, about the vpn thing, I’m not sure what you mean, if you mean a vpn on my cellphone or somewhere, the thing is that the app was working just fine on Sunday, a day after I got error messages saying error connecting. I gruñiré to uninstalled the app, even registering the recorder from scratch and still nothing!
The app works well with wi-fi but no data phone
Hi Mike, it would be easier is you make a network diagram: how is your NVR connected to the internet - there is (somewhere) a router/modem, maybe a switch. Your "LAN" is your internal network, WAN is your external IP address from your ISP. If I'm talking chinese when mentioning "port forwarding on your router", did you configure something like P2P (peer to peer) ? Which is, in second order, as worse as port forwarding on your router.

Thanks!
CC

Mikefsm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey there
Thanks again

Ok ok now you are making sense. So I didn’t configure anything different on my router, however, the way I connect the IDMSS app is using the QR code on p2p
The thing is that it used to work before, I didn’t change anything.
What do you think?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are using p2p and the QR code, you may have been hacked. Those communication methods are very insecure.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Set up a VPN. On you home network. Connect to the VPN then run idmss as if you are on your local network.

Mikefsm

n3wb
Reaction score
I am sorry but I am no so technical
Please help me
I purchase a VPN service but I don’t know if you mesn that
Then I don’t know how to connect my router to the VPN service I have
Then I still don’t know why I can’t see my cámaras on my phone data and only works on wifi

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am sorry but I am no so technical
Please help me
I purchase a VPN service but I don’t know if you mesn that
Then I don’t know how to connect my router to the VPN service I have
Then I still don’t know why I can’t see my cámaras on my phone data and only works on wifi
The vpn service you signed up for is worthless, it cannot be used for this purpose. Cancel it. See How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I already explained you why. Please follow the advice of @fenderman: configure a VPN server IN your network (LMGTFY), configure your mobile device to use this tunnel (LMGTFY) and thus secure your connection.
And disable P2P immediately.