In over my head. Anyone have skills with Adtran Advanta 7100's?

Reaction score
My day job is running networking cable for business's. Today, a customer was going to toss out a fully functioning Adtran Netvanta 7100, which is a 10/100 24port POE voip router/phone system/voicemail/switch all in one. Would love to convert this to simply a basic POE switch on it's own subnet (not routing, no firewall, no vlans) similar to my current unmanaged 12 port POE switch. Primary duty will be to supply POE to cam's and switch abilities.
However, Adtran hardware are Enterprise level. Not as simple programming as compared to Netgear routers :) Anyone have experience with programming these beasts?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My day job is running networking cable for business's. Today, a customer was going to toss out a fully functioning Adtran Netvanta 7100, which is a 10/100 24port POE voip router/phone system/voicemail/switch all in one. Would love to convert this to simply a basic POE switch on it's own subnet (not routing, no firewall, no vlans) similar to my current unmanaged 12 port POE switch. Primary duty will be to supply POE to cam's and switch abilities.
However, Adtran hardware are Enterprise level. Not as simple programming as compared to Netgear routers :) Anyone have experience with programming these beasts?
I really admire anyone who is willing to admit they're in over their head on something. Just an idea would be to resell the Netvanta and then buy a new(er) model switch even if it has less POE ports.

Either way, congrats on your find! I'm currently debating on my next switch actually. I don't like the idea of going only 10/100 as I'm sure when I do, technology will change, or my setup will change and then I'll surely need gigabit. lol...

Reaction score
Doubt I could resell it. It's an EOL device (end of line). No support. And is only 10/100 ports, not gigabit. Only reason why I saved it from the trash was due to the history of really great Adtran products. These things are built like tanks as they have to be since Enterprise level quality. Perfect for 24 port POE switch :) IF......

Reaction score
Yeah that's a sweet grab, and tbh 24 POE ports (every one with 15.4W power budget) and 2 gig uplink ports will be solid for this use case if 1) it doesn't draw a bunch of idle power and 2) it isn't waaaay too loud due to the fans in most enterprise gear are small and running at a million RPM.

Reaction score
gots it up and running. 384w of POE power x 24 ports. Happy Camper! Plugged in my new HFW2831TP-ZS 8MP cam (thanx Andy!) in one port, laptop into another port. Set static IP's and connected/configured camera. Just wanted to make sure static IP switching works. This Adtran is one of those $3000+ units when new as it's a phone system/voicemail unit (which I'm not going to be using). Lots and lots of other configuration options that I am afraid to tinker with. This Adtran will be on it's own subnet after BlueIris computer so will never see the internet.
This is certainly Enterprise class device with firewalls, VPN, VLAN. If I was more knowledgeable with Adtran hardware, I would consider this as my main router. However, since EOL and no firmware updates any longer, not sure viable solution in today's world of needing upto date security & firmware.
* side note: is a quiet fan inside. normal network device. The BV tech 16 port I am using currently sounds like a vacuum cleaner.