Inexpensive cam needed for mouse trap detection

DRJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a HDW2231R-ZS which I'm using to detect mouse in a 'have a heart' trap, way overkill and I want to redepoy that one somewhere more useful. Need a Blue Iris compatible cam that only needs to detect a mouse at 4 foot range with IR, I have POE nearby but not required. Seen a lot of friction about don't use cheap cams but this is a specialty use.

Any suggestions appreciated.

John
mouse-night.JPG

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT !

I suggest you consider the Amcrest IP2M-841 (re-branded Dahua) . It's ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Available in black for under $50 here.

I've installed 3 of them and 3 of it's lower-res, 720p cousin the IPM-721 and all have functioned with no hiccups for the past 3 years.

BTW, love the image you attached. Reminds me of a TV game show contestant...mouse is wondering "Should I pick door #1 or door #3 ?" :idk:

EDIT: this cam is 5VDC @ 2 amps, if you just had to use your POE you could use an active POE splitter like this that includes the correct 3.5mm x 1.35mm male plug for 5VDC cameras: DSLRKIT Active PoE Splitter Power Over Ethernet 48V to 5V 2.4A Compliant IEEE 802.3af

EDIT 4/1/21: V3 of the IP2M-841 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.