Installation Hicup

Reaction score
So here's my situation...

Did a renovation to my house and was able to run CAT6 cables to 7 locations around the house for a new 4MP camera system.

Contractor sided the house and pulled my CAT6's through the new siding but it wasn't until I received the new cameras (this week) that I realized the Ethernet adapter plug on the cameras requires a 1" 1/4 hole to push the adapter back through when flush mounting the cameras.

My question >> How do I enlarge the existing holes that the CAT6 wires are coming through WITHOUT pushing the wire back into the house? I'll lose the wires if I push them back into the siding. My existing holes are 3/4" in diameter.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I normally use wall mounted brackets (turret). Just attach the included metal plate to the wall, insert the connector/cable inside the bracket and put some 3M emblem glue around the top edges (between metal and wall). Everything looks clean

Attachments

Reaction score
At 4 of my 7 camera locations, the cameras will be mounted to the underside of an eve. “L” style mounting brackets will not work in those positions. I’m not really looking to add to the height of the cameras by adding junction boxes. I was basically looking to see if anyone knows a way in which to enlarge a hole with a wire coming through it.

jaybowee

n3wb
Reaction score
At 4 of my 7 camera locations, the cameras will be mounted to the underside of an eve. “L” style mounting brackets will not work in those positions. I’m not really looking to add to the height of the cameras by adding junction boxes. I was basically looking to see if anyone knows a way in which to enlarge a hole with a wire coming through it.
Could maybe use a dremel, just careful with the wire.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sometimes, when need to enlarge a hole with an inserted cable, I cut a rounded metal tube in halve, producing a semicircle alone the tube. Mark around the area to cut, then embrace the cable with the halve tube and drill small holes around the marks. PVC tubing should work just fine, but be careful with the drill. Good Luck!

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
but in your case, no need to drill small holes. Just embrace the cable an drill a bigger hole above the existing one, connecting both holes

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So here's my situation...

Did a renovation to my house and was able to run CAT6 cables to 7 locations around the house for a new 4MP camera system.

Contractor sided the house and pulled my CAT6's through the new siding but it wasn't until I received the new cameras (this week) that I realized the Ethernet adapter plug on the cameras requires a 1" 1/4 hole to push the adapter back through when flush mounting the cameras.

My question >> How do I enlarge the existing holes that the CAT6 wires are coming through WITHOUT pushing the wire back into the house? I'll lose the wires if I push them back into the siding. My existing holes are 3/4" in diameter.
There are special drill bits that are made for this purpose, but they don’t come in such a large size.
You said under the eave... do you mean in the wood facia boards or underneath up on the soffit?
I’d use a junction box that matches the camera. Do you really want to drill out such massive holes?

Last edited:
Reaction score
but in your case, no need to drill small holes. Just embrace the cable an drill a bigger hole above the existing one, connecting both holes
Before posting, this was going to be my method of attack. Basically make an 8 with the original hole and new hole touching either other.

Reaction score
There are special drill bits that are made for this purpose, but they don’t come in such a large size.
You said under the eave... do you mean in the wood facia boards or underneath up on the soffit?
I’d use a junction box that matches the camera. Do you really want to drill out such massive holes?
Yes, 3’ deep vinyl fascia underneath the roofline. I know junction boxes are an option, but I don’t want to add the weight or height of junction boxes. I feel junction boxes take away from the look of the finished product. A lot of people like a flush mounted camera. I’m one of those people.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Before posting, this was going to be my method of attack. Basically make an 8 with the original hole and new hole touching either other.
Perfect. Wrapping around the cable with the metal semicircle is actually to isolate the cable in case the drill goes further. Hope everything goes well.

Baldcamman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I used tape around cable for protection and a aggressive round file to inlarge the whole.

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Drill a hole adjacent to the exiting hole, then you can use a keyhole saw or other device to merge the holes together.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious:
How do plan to help protect against moisture and condensation at the connection of the RJ-45 into the camera pigtail BEFORE you stuff it all into the hole and mount the camera?