IOS Blue Iris: Do alerts give sound notifications?

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I pursued past blogs, and couldn't find anything regarding this. If I missed it, I apologize. However, I notice people with a Ring camera get a sound notification that their camera has detected motion. However, I have to look at the app to see whether there are any new alerts. I have everything turned on as far as Notifications, Banners, Sounds, etc., but if my phone is in my pocket, someone can break into my house and I wouldn't know it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I pursued past blogs, and couldn't find anything regarding this. If I missed it, I apologize. However, I notice people with a Ring camera get a sound notification that their camera has detected motion. However, I have to look at the app to see whether there are any new alerts. I have everything turned on as far as Notifications, Banners, Sounds, etc., but if my phone is in my pocket, someone can break into my house and I wouldn't know it.
For each camera you need to go into the alerts tab and set the type of alert you want.... You can receive alerts via push notification , text email or any combination

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Fenderman. I do have this set up in for each individual camera. In fact, the speakers connected to the server PC gives me a verbal announcement whenever a camera detects motion. And on my iPhone, I do get push notifications. However, I don't get an audible notification that a camera has been triggered. I don't have it set up to receive an email notification. I think my phone makes some kind of noise when I get an email. Maybe that is the only way to do it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Fenderman. I do have this set up in for each individual camera. In fact, the speakers connected to the server PC gives me a verbal announcement whenever a camera detects motion. And on my iPhone, I do get push notifications. However, I don't get an audible notification that a camera has been triggered. I don't have it set up to receive an email notification. I think my phone makes some kind of noise when I get an email. Maybe that is the only way to do it.
No the app makes an audible alert. You don't have it set up correctly.

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Gotcha. When I get home, I'm going to go over my setup more carefully. Thanks!

Reaction score
What is the correct way to set it up to make sure we get the audible alert? Mine was working on two phones for the past year or more and then all the sudden this past Saturday the audible alert stopped working.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the correct way to set it up to make sure we get the audible alert? Mine was working on two phones for the past year or more and then all the sudden this past Saturday the audible alert stopped working.
Same here. Saturday mine stopped working too! I've racked my brain all night and can't get it working again.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, the actual BI app shows alerts when you open it. The phone itself isn't getting triggered/notification beep. In the log file I see iOS push notification failure, so it isn't able to send the phone the notification for whatever reason.

Reaction score
So as odd as this problem started is as odd as it went away. I updated the server end version of blue iris and it started working again??? idk but it is working again...

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So as odd as this problem started is as odd as it went away. I updated the server end version of blue iris and it started working again??? idk but it is working again...
You're lucky. I ran the update again and still nothing. I also removed and re-installed the BI app on my phone and no luck. This is maddening. Sent BI an email to see if they can shed some light on the subject since it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue and just popped up out of nowhere with no system changes. I'm now also getting a bunch of Event errors, requests and subscription warnings.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You're lucky. I ran the update again and still nothing. I also removed and re-installed the BI app on my phone and no luck. This is maddening. Sent BI an email to see if they can shed some light on the subject since it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue and just popped up out of nowhere with no system changes. I'm now also getting a bunch of Event errors, requests and subscription warnings.
Read the manual.