IPC-HDW5231R-ZE vs IPC-T5442TM-AS

neagle392

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking to upgrade some cameras to starlight models. I know the 2MP starlight models are pretty hard to beat, but how do these two cameras stack up? Same price point, but one is 2MP and one is 4MP.
For me, it screams that there has to be a reason that the 4MP isn't more expensive than the 2MP.

I am interested in the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE based on everyone's reviews etc for night time quality. But I was also interested in a 4MP starlight model that might provide more detail during daylight applications.
Any suggestions, or should I run with the HDW5231R-ZE?

Thanks

Reaction score
Well, for one thing, the HDW5231R-ZE is a varifocal lens camera and the T5442TM is fixed focal lens.

See review here:

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Neagle392,
I have a T5442TM-AS LED and am quite happy with it. I just got a the non LED model and will hook it up in the next couple of days. I have a 2231 which I had hooked up for a while and was happy with it as well. I read Loony2ns review when I decided on the 2231 as I thought it looked better than the 5231. The 5442 with the LED is great. I hope the new camera is as good. Also like Samplenhold points out the 5231/2231 are varifocals.

gansle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking to upgrade some cameras to starlight models. I know the 2MP starlight models are pretty hard to beat, but how do these two cameras stack up? Same price point, but one is 2MP and one is 4MP.
For me, it screams that there has to be a reason that the 4MP isn't more expensive than the 2MP.

I am interested in the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE based on everyone's reviews etc for night time quality. But I was also interested in a 4MP starlight model that might provide more detail during daylight applications.
Any suggestions, or should I run with the HDW5231R-ZE?

Thanks
Check out bigredfish review of the 5442 bullet on this forum and his youtube channel.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Aside from the fixed lens, are there any "gotchas" (for want of a better term) for the 5442 against the venerable 5231 and its new mate the 2231?

I appreciate all points have likely been mentioned in the review threads. However it would be fantastic for us less studious folk to get some summary of points to consider from those who have put in the work doing actual performance comparisons.

Cheers, Steve

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i've been pulling my hair out also and made a post that has some good info in it. i'm buying a 2231S2 varifocal so i can see what i need exactly in the mm department. there's a few other 2mp starlights and 4mp starlight plus cams out there, some are color, led, have mics, lots of cameras. there's only so much the cliff notes has. you have to poke thru the forums and find looneys unlisted video comparisons, those are like gold.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5231 and 2231 series are still great cameras. I have a number of them.

The 5442 series does have a VF bullet. Bullets work fine, in fact I think they have better depth.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Aside from the fixed lens, are there any "gotchas" (for want of a better term) for the 5442 against the venerable 5231 and its new mate the 2231?

I appreciate all points have likely been mentioned in the review threads. However it would be fantastic for us less studious folk to get some summary of points to consider from those who have put in the work doing actual performance comparisons.

Cheers, Steve

Functionally, the 5442 series have more advanced features and AI, and a better sensor, AND 4MP vs 2

The deciding factor for me is the image
Review: Dahua HFW5442T-ASE 4MP Starlight+

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It’s a new series so not everything in the firmware is totally baked yet. The 5231 had the same issue when it came out in 2016 and IMO Dahua eventually got just about everything nailed down, it just took a little time. I think many of these new series that came out over the summer will need some time like the 5231s did for that to happen.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what is the turret variant of the 5442T-ASE again? this is the non LED version right? and how does it compare to the 2231S2?

neagle392

n3wb
Reaction score
In my opinion, and its worth exactly what you paid for it, the 5442 series has Trumped the 5231 series in performance both day and night.
Has the 5442 received any firmware updates yet? I'm concerned about the lack of SmartIR. I don't like the washout at close range with the IR's and no smartIR. Otherwise, I was and still might be sold on the 5442. I almost pressed order before I read the smartIR issue.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Great, I have just let Andy know, that I need one. I need something at the entrance. Any of you would know the ball size of this camera? I just had an idea, on how to install it in my porch, hide the ball in a fake birdhouse.

Last edited: