IPC-HDW5831RP-ZE Web Interface Questions

vintage65

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased an IPC-HDW5831R-ZE from Andy's Amazon store and received a IPC-HDW5831RP-ZE. My understanding is the different "label name" makes no difference as the hardware is identical and since PAL/NTSC are selected in the web interface, the label names make no difference. Correct?

The issue I've been unable to figure out has to do with the live feed from the camera's web interface. I have set the main stream to H.265, smart codec off, resolution 3840x2160, 15fps, vbr, quality 6, bit rate max of 3072, and IF interval 30. If I move/wiggle the camera or walk through the frame, I'm experiencing about a 10 second delay in the live feed and the video is slow motion. If I don't wiggle the camera or walk through the frame, the live stream will switch to Sub Stream 1 after appox,. 30 seconds. I have tried a number of different H.265 4K configurations and all result in the delay and slow motion feed. With that said, BI and Disk Station tests seem to work fine for all H.265 4K settings from this camera.

My system is fully capable of handling H.265 4K video from GoPros, 4K camcorders, Youtube, including rendering in Adobe Premiere. I have tried multiple network cables, switches, and various combinations of cables/switches, different browsers, etc. and have not been able to figure out the cause of the delay/slow motion video from the direct live feed or why it switches to Sub Stream 1.

Does anyone have any thoughts or know why the live feed on the web interface would exhibit such behavior?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using the firmware version that doesn't require a webplugin? If so ... don't know if this applies to the 5831 ... but on my other cameras I had better luck with the Live View in the camera's web interface by making the iFrame value match the FPS value.

Also for VBR, since the bit rate you set there is maximum (and will only be used when needed), you might want to try setting that to the suggested value (which I'd guess is a bit higher). I'm wondering if the camera having to do the work of compressing the frames down to meet the 3072 bit rate might be having an impact? I don't have any experience with that, so just a thought.

And you are right about the camera label name not really mattering since PAL/NTSC is changeable either via a web interface toggle or loading a new firmware.

vintage65

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and confirmation regarding the label name.

The 3072 bit rate is the default the interface sets when H.265 is selected. Setting a higher bit rate causes additional delay while reducing the bit rate causes slightly less delay. Overall, regardless of the bit rate or whether VBR/CBR is selected, H.265 has the delay/slow motion affect. The longer the live feed is visible, the longer the delay becomes. Based on your reply, I also tried setting iframe to 15 and it made no difference.

Could it be a possible the hardware (e.g. onboard encoder) is bad and I should simply exchange the camera?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't use h.265 in my environment, ... when I get home I'll try switching one of my cameras to use it and see how the built-in live view reacts.

The newer camera firmware that can display the live view in a browser without needing a plug-in still acts wonky for me in some cases. Curious to know if you use a tool like gDMSS/iDMSS to view the camera from a smartphone, does the live feed have the same delay?

vintage65

n3wb
Reaction score
As far as I know, no browser plug-in is in play. The camera firmware is the latest from Andy.

I gave gDMSS a try on Android and the stream functions perfectly in all resolutions for h.265. The only interface causing problems in the direct live feed from the camera interface. All others apps and web interfaces for BI, gDMSS, Disk Station, etc seem to be working fine. Interestingly, I lowered the resolution to 3072x2048 at 20fps using a variety of high and low bit rates - all performed as expected. The only issue is with h.265 3840x2160 regardless of fps and bit rate with the cameras direct interface.

Adding a bit more to the mystery. If I set backlight to WDR, the interface forces fps to 14 (15 not an option). At full resolution, 14fps, WDR on, the live feed performs better. At 14fps without WDR on, the problem resurfaces. BLC/HLC allow for 15fps with a marginal performance improvement over backlight off. I'm beginning to think this camera might have a glitch. I have not seen this with any other cameras.

Appreciate you taking the time to check some of your cameras. It my help me decide if this one is faulty.

Last edited:

mmmburritos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had a IPC-HDW5831R-ZE for a couple of weeks now and I've noticed the same thing. Been running it at H.265 4k, 15fps...actually, I thought I had it at 15fps but it got bumped down to 14fps for some reason. I had adjusted the bitrate up to 4096 and was noticing way more delay, glad you pointed out that lower bitrates seem to improve the delay so I set it back to the default 3072. I'm running the 2019-08-07 firmware that was posted on here but I was seeing the same thing with the firmware it shipped with, don't recall the version, I want to say somewhere in the neighborhood of May 2019.

It almost seems like the processor in this camera is struggling when you attempt to do high bitrate H.265, but that's just a total guess on my part. It's good to see that someone else is experiencing the same thing with this camera, at least I'm not nuts. This is my first 4k camera and a bit of an experiment so I wasn't sure what to expect.

vintage65

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you have WDR enabled when you noticed the drop to 14fps? I found that WDR with h265 forces the drop to a max of 14fps.

After continued testing, I simply leave the camera at default settings. This creates some pixelation under different lighting conditions, but allows the onboard web interface to stream correctly.

I will likely keep the camera for it's intended purpose. With that said, I don't believe I would buy another until the live view issue is resolved. I may look to other 4K options or consider 4MP as a step up from 2MP. I simply have a couple locations I need more megapixels for additional clarity.

mmmburritos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't have WDR enabled actually, the only things I had really adjusted were changing it to H.265, changing the bitrate and enabling a single IVS tripwire. I do have it connected to an NVR, so maybe something I did on the NVR adjusted something. I'm not much of a tinkerer with the settings on these cameras.

roger561

n3wb
Reaction score
I have this same camera and I realize something similar, but my problem is another now, I am connected to it with NVR Hikvision DS7616 NI Q2, the NVR device only displays her image in Main Stream 4k if you choose codec H264.H if you choose H265, the NVR seems to be a bit confusing and no longer displays the image in Main Stream, only Substream or vice versa .. Has anyone been through this?

As for the problem mentioned LAG I also had the same problem here that you mentioned, at times the camera seemed to be in slow motion, but I do not know what I did that it returned to normal without moving anything, use cabling CAT-6 and POE by the NVR