IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 LPR from 137 feet

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A wireless bridge would be the best solution. It is encrypted and "transparent" as far as your network is concerned. A unit at each end, the remote with its' own PoE switch and the local end plugged into your dedicated camera switch will extend your LAN out to the remote end seamlessly. The big problem is power at the remote end, but apparently you already have that.

Ubiquity makes a whole line of them with varying capabilities. You do need a clear line of sight for them to work, though.

Another consideration is the electrical isolation that a wireless or fiber link will provide. Surges, EMP, from lightning can wreak havoc on anything with a hardwired connection.

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This camera is really starting to piss me off.

Last night my neighbors vehicle got wrecked- drunk slammed into it. Looks to be about 5-7k worth of damage, easily. Camera was properly focused at 0100. at 0300 when it happened, it's all out of focus. WTF? What the hell is wrong with this camera that it can't stay in focus? Autofocus is turned off. If I try to use autofocus, everything, even during the day, is totally out of focus.

Is this model seriously junk? I'm also using the Sunrise/SunSet tool and that has worked (most of the time) but I really don't expect the camera to change itself during the middle of the night.

ARG!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like it lost power if it was focused at one point in the night and then lost focus at another without a profile switch.

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like it lost power if it was focused at one point in the night and then lost focus at another without a profile switch.
I don't believe so- the switch is on an UPS and it is loud as ... well, you know. Nothing in the UPS logs indicate a reboot either... but who really knows.

Well, F-me.

Detailed Information
Time:2021-07-25 03:14:03Username:SystemType:Event BeginContent:Ethernet Card: eth0Event Type: Off-line Event

Guess who programmed the bloody switch to reboot at 0314 am on Sunday Morning. Seriously. What are the freaking odds.

I downloaded the sunrise/sunset code. I guess I'm going to be seeing if I can brush up on my skills to make another daemon to go out and query the camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow that sucks.

Many here have done as Task Schedule to send a focus API to the camera every X many minutes so in the event of a reboot it will hold focus.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't believe so- the switch is on an UPS and it is loud as ... well, you know. Nothing in the UPS logs indicate a reboot either... but who really knows.

Well, F-me.

Detailed Information
Time:2021-07-25 03:14:03Username:SystemType:Event BeginContent:Ethernet Card: eth0Event Type: Off-line Event

Guess who programmed the bloody switch to reboot at 0314 am on Sunday Morning. Seriously. What are the freaking odds.

I downloaded the sunrise/sunset code. I guess I'm going to be seeing if I can brush up on my skills to make another daemon to go out and query the camera.
Yeah, it's a problem if these cameras lose power at night. Even with set for manual focus, they don't return to their focus point precisely upon power up at night. I have no idea why. Thats why we all have to flip them to night settings while there is still ample daylight for it to achieve the proper focus.

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a problem if these cameras lose power at night. Even with set for manual focus, they don't return to their focus point precisely upon power up at night. I have no idea why. Thats why we all have to flip them to night settings while there is still ample daylight for it to achieve the proper focus.
I still don't understand why it won't achieve focus during the day though. I mean- middle of the day, sun coming straight down- and it can't focus a single time. It's frustrating more than anything I've dealt with.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I still don't understand why it won't achieve focus during the day though. I mean- middle of the day, sun coming straight down- and it can't focus a single time. It's frustrating more than anything I've dealt with.
That's not normal. During the day, it should focus with no issue. You don't have your Iris set > 75 or < 25 do you? May want to post a picture of what the scene looks like.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are zoomed in tight enough that all you see is the road, it will struggle with auto focus.

I had to have someone stop a car in my field of view to get a good focus number for day and night focus settings.

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are zoomed in tight enough that all you see is the road, it will struggle with auto focus.

I had to have someone stop a car in my field of view to get a good focus number for day and night focus settings.
Not too bad on zoom, say 90%, and the iris was set to about 30 to 50%; i'll be checking. Maybe I have a screen cap that can show the focus process.