IPC-T2385G-I Hikvision 8MP fixed turret (night videos added)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Again, you can see the light "shards" that precede the appearance of a vehicle approaching from the side of the scene.
I wonder if that could be reflections from the raised angled part of the plastic fascia getting in to the lens.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
guessing no audio on this one? Is there an interface for an external mic but having it inserted inside the camera housing? Thx
You're correct, no audio. It doesn't have an audio input either. Here's a quick photo of what's under the hatch (reset button and card slot) and the cables (network and optional 12V power)).

20191116_081640[1].jpg

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wonder if that could be reflections from the raised angled part of the plastic fascia getting in to the lens.
Seems likely. I can live with those, they're not out of control. Also, the most likely orientation I'll pick will rule out cars coming into the scene from the side.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got another 8MP Hik installed, this one with a 6mm lens. With the longer lens and more resolution, I positioned it further back from the location of the camera it replaces, which was an aging 3.6mm 3MP FuzzyCam (not really, but...). The scene it's looking at is one of the two paths prowlers usually approach from (down the sidewalk from the east or west) and they would be walking toward the camera, so I'm hoping this gets me some good close-ups when it counts.

Forced-color mode at night

Above we got the Hik doing its Darkfighter thing at the following settings:
16Mbit/sec CBR
1/150th-second exposure
max gain at 90
BLC disabled
forced color
Contrast at 10 (this has the effect of brightening the dark areas without the use of WDR or other compensations that would reduce detail)

It's getting some light from a single LED porch light about 10 feet above the camera, partially through tree branches. As a general yardstick, you can contrast this with a 2231 at full AUTO, forced color, below, where the walking guy is basically a ghost.

(above: Dahua 2231 in full AUTO, forced color)

That one's a home run for the Hik over the Dahua, despite cramming 8MP into a 1/2" sensor (and at a forced 1/150th shutter, versus AUTO). It should not be able to pull this off with that little light, but it manages.

Color mode, near dusk

Above: the Hik nearly at dusk, 1/200th shutter, I think I had Gain capped at 60, noise reduction low, no backlight compensation. Based on this, I should be able to get daytime IDs on people on the sidewalk, which its FuzzyCam predecessor was not doing well.

Infrared mode
I tried out infrared mode since that's going to be of interest to most of us. There's a tree in the foreground which is illuminated by the white light from the overhead porch light, plus the camera's IR, and as a result the camera darkens the rest of the scene more than I'd like. Despite a relatively shallow angle of view, it also highlights the nearby ground that it's aimed at, which is inevitable.

To counteract those effects, one option is to (surprise) turn the IR down to minimum. Why not OFF? Because as far as I can see, there's no OFF setting. I don't see much change in the scene between Smart on or off.

Above, IR is minimized at a setting of 1 out of 100. I'm holding a brown cardboard box with a white label that has barcodes on it, to see whether that detail comes through.
This is at 1/150th shutter.

Above, IR is on Smart mode / Auto. I don't remember if HLC was enabled here, but it looks like it isn't. To me, it looks somewhat overexposed when I walk up to the camera, but I have that complaint about IR cams in general. You're walking up to a light source, what do you expect is going to happen? Yeah.
This is at 1/150th shutter.

mech's conclusion for this scene: for night mode, call me crazy but I think I like the forced-color sample best of any of these. With some more light, especially from further out in the scene, I could definitely improve the results... maybe I can sweet-talk the landlord into slapping a light on this side of the building. The other thing I'll have to deal with eventually, is when the tree grows leaves again and blocks that porch light.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@mech I have a guy bought one of this, meet some troubles, do you have any idea? Thank you.

'' However, I cannot get the VSPlayer software to display the camera’s picture. VSPlayer says it cannot connect to the source. I have also tried scanning the IP address and no ports appear open. Finally, Blue Iris has failed to find the camera.
The only software which sees the camera is SAPD tool, which shows the IP address (192.168.4.64) and port 8000 and SDK port 8443. When I scan the 192.168.4.64 address using nmap it shows ports 8000 and 8443 closed. I cannot connect to ports 8000 or 8443 using BlueIris, a browser, telnet or ssh. ''

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@mech I have a guy bought one of this, meet some troubles, do you have any idea? Thank you.

'' However, I cannot get the VSPlayer software to display the camera’s picture. VSPlayer says it cannot connect to the source. I have also tried scanning the IP address and no ports appear open. Finally, Blue Iris has failed to find the camera.
The only software which sees the camera is SAPD tool, which shows the IP address (192.168.4.64) and port 8000 and SDK port 8443. When I scan the 192.168.4.64 address using nmap it shows ports 8000 and 8443 closed. I cannot connect to ports 8000 or 8443 using BlueIris, a browser, telnet or ssh. ''
@EMPIRETECANDY My cameras started with IP address 192.168.1.64. The instructions say this is the factory setting. If the customer did not already try the RESET button, I recommend this:

1. use RESET button to reset camera to the factory settings

2. if his home computer network uses 192.168.1.__ address zone, then try to connect to camera again at after the RESET

3. if his home computer network uses 192.168.4.__ address zone, then change a computer to a 192.168.1.__ address and now try to connect to the camera at factory 192.168.1.64 while the computer has a 192.168.1.__ address. If he can connect, he can change the camera to the IP address zone that his Blue Iris computer uses.

If he knows how to use nMap, he should be able to change the computer IPv4 address, but here is a movie to show where to find the setting if he needs it (English language):

I also recommend that your customer should check the 192.168.4.64 address while the camera is unplugged, because it is possible there is another device already using the .64 address. I did that here at home once, two cameras had the same IP address, and I could not connect to the new one.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY My cameras started with IP address 192.168.1.64. The instructions say this is the factory setting. If the customer did not already try the RESET button, I recommend this:

1. use RESET button to reset camera to the factory settings

2. if his home computer network uses 192.168.1.__ address zone, then try to connect to camera again at after the RESET

3. if his home computer network uses 192.168.4.__ address zone, then change a computer to a 192.168.1.__ address and now try to connect to the camera at factory 192.168.1.64 while the computer has a 192.168.1.__ address. If he can connect, he can change the camera to the IP address zone that his Blue Iris computer uses.

If he knows how to use nMap, he should be able to change the computer IPv4 address, but here is a movie to show where to find the setting if he needs it (English language):

I also recommend that your customer should check the 192.168.4.64 address while the camera is unplugged, because it is possible there is another device already using the .64 address. I did that here at home once, two cameras had the same IP address, and I could not connect to the new one.
That is great, thank you!

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@mech

Do you have experience with dahua 2831 ?

I want to get a 8MP 3.6/4mm but I cannot decide between 2831 or the slightly more expensive 2385

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One item worth noting is that the FOV of the 2385G1-I may be larger than Hikvision specifies.

I purchased a new 2CD2385G1-I to replace a 2CD2385FWD-I hoping to improve night time viewing at the front of my property.

My previous camera was fitted with a 4mm lens which allowed me to resolve license plates at around 25-30 metres from the camera on a good day. Happy with the performance of the 4mm lens I order the G1 with the same lens.

Hikvision quotes the 2385FWD-I with the 4mm lens as having a 79 degrees horizontal FOV and the 2385G1-I 4mm having 78mm horizontal FOV which should provide almost identical coverage and pixel density.

The problem was that when I put the 2385FWD-I and the new 2385G1-I side by side pointed at the same scene, the G1 camera had a notably wider horizontal FOV than the FWD-I. I estimate it could be as much as 5 degrees more. The same is also true of the vertical FOV. The new G1 camera has a taller image.

Normally, I wouldn't be complaining when getting something extra for nothing but the wider than specified FOV of the G1 with the 4mm lens results in less pixels/metre at any given distance from the camera.

I was already pushing the limits of the old 2385FWD-I by trying to read number plates at 25-30 meters.

Surprisingly, when I trialed the 2385G1-I and 2385FWD-I at around 12 metres from a test number plate and zoomed into the plate until the characters filled the display, the image was actually sharper/clearer on the G1. That could just be that the G1 has a better focused lens.

I would have preferred the 78 degree FOV as specified by Hikvision as it would have resulted in better license plate recognition at the same distance compared to the 2385FWD-I.
About the field of view. So you are saying the 4mm here is actually likely closer in line to a Dahua 3.6mm roughly ? That would seem perfect in my case to replace my high up 5442 overview cam with a 4K

Mike Oz

n3wb
Reaction score
Forgive the basic question but does this this camera use a larger mount size than the older turret style hikvision cams? Is it the same size as the colorvu or a little smaller? Thanks!

Edit: Looked a little closer at the datasheets and this looks to be the same size as the colorvu. This is 5.4" wide by 5" deep, the older cams are 5" wide by 3.78" deep.

Last edited: