Iphone App for Dauha NVR

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all,

Still a newbe with all this stuff. I had a question I am using mobile app IDMSS for my iPhone when I am home under my wifi my cameras load up in 2 seconds, but when I leave my house this is when I need remote viewing and 90% of the time it falls to connect under At&t LTE. So this is totaling defeating the purpose I need to view outside of my house. Is there settings that can be adjusted on the iPhone app? Is there a better app for iPhone and I read a lot about Blue Iris but I only have Mac's in the house. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How are you exposing your cameras to the internet? And what is address/server name are you connecting to when not at home?

Exposing cameras to the internet directly (via port forwarding) is not recommended. There are a number of cases where cameras have been used as an extra point to the network.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Even with MACs in house, you might still have the possibility to run an OpenVPN on your router (ASUS/Netgear/...) or add one single component to host the OpenVPN service. Main advantages, like @psycik wrote, no need for portforwarding anymore, but also added layer of security, encryption and compression. Which improves your viewing experience!

Good luck!
CC

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My bad I’m using IDMSS Plus for remote viewing. I’m using P2P and the address I’m connecting I imagine is the IP my router assigned to the NVR. Is there a place I can confirm this. Also, what is the best way to connect through VPN?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
My bad I’m using IDMSS Plus for remote viewing. I’m using P2P and the address I’m connecting I imagine is the IP my router assigned to the NVR. Is there a place I can confirm this. Also, what is the best way to connect through VPN?
Best way is NOT to use any P2P, it "exposes" your cams/NVR.

With OpenVPN, you deploy a "background" app (‎OpenVPN Connect) which you enable when leaving home, it makes your device "as being" on your LAN (eg like you would be at home). When connected, you'll see a [VPN] on top of your screen, indicating that you're good to go.

Easy peasy :)
CC

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice really appreciate it. One more question I just purchased a security appliance WatchGuard M270 which allows me multiple VPN you think it’s more secure to go through my firewall?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice really appreciate it. One more question I just purchased a security appliance WatchGuard M270 which allows me multiple VPN you think it’s more secure to go through my firewall?
That beast is midrange to highrange business class stuff, so yes, use that appliance as a VPN "concentrator", and you are much better off than with P2P and other hocus pocus.

Good luck!
CC

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey catcamstar,

I have a question on the Open VPN where it asked for host server name. What do I put there? The NVR host name?

Thanks,
Alex1FBD7355-60C2-4DD4-904F-13AA4A12EEAB.png

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Alex, there are two ways to configure this VPN client:
- you do many things manually
- you let VPN server do the "work" for you :)

So when you return to your VPN Server (and I'm guessing your appliance has an OpenVPN interface), you can export "openvpn-client.ovpn" configuration files. That's why at the bottom of your screenshot is mentioned: import a profile. Within that profile, tons of information (such as the ip, port, protocol) are auto-filled in. The best thing is that you can export your security keys within that file too, handy on iOS because keychainhandling might be stubborn at times.

In summary:
- export client.ovpn on server
- import client.ovpn on iOS
- (depending on config: enter user/pass combo, but this can be bypassed in configuration)
- login and off you go!

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don’t know if anyone still viewing this post. I finally setup a vpn through my firewall and on the nvr have p2p not active. Now how do I configure the dahua nvr so I can access through my vpn?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
In short: you don't have to configure anything on your NVR.

Imagine the device is running on 192.168.x.100.

If your VPN Server is configured correctly, your VPN device will be connected through your WAN ISP, over a "hidden" 10.x.x.x subnet into your 192.168.x.y subnet. Assume your VPN device gets 192.168.x.201, at it would have when being connected to your local LAN.

So the iDMSS/gDMSS app has to be configured by IP/Domain and you simply enter 192.168.x.100 to connect to.

That's all! Like I wrote in post #10 above :p

Good luck!
CC

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My vpn type is IKEv2 and configured my vpn through firewall with a range of vip and I downloaded client vpn setting to IPhone and it assigns 192.167.1.3 and I connected successfully. So I am not using ovpn. Do I have to use ovpn.
Thanks,
Alex

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't mind you using IKEv2, ovpn or any other type of VPN. If you can reach, from 4g/wifi neighbours to your internal LAN, all is fine! As long as the traffic is encrypted, you are good to go.

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I configured the app. Now when I’m out of my and try to connect through LTE and it won’t connect but when I turn my vpn on it connects. I guess it’s working.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Affirmative, then your NVR is only reachable through the VPN tunnel. Now tripple check that UPNP and any portforwards are disabled, and you are good to go!

Well done!
CC