Is it possible to "intercept" the signal from a cheap IP camera?

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it possible to "intercept" the signal from a cheap IP camera that doesn't support RTSP/ONVIF? I received one for free and as expected, it can't be pulled into BI. I am thinking that there may be a way to connect it to an NVR directly.
Is it possible to cut the ethernet cable, identify the video wires, connect to an ethernet plug and plug into an NVR so that it can "see" the camera feed?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It doesn't work that way LOL.

The video wires would be the same regardless.

It is the CPU processor in the camera that puts out the video feed.

And if the cheap camera is cloud based, then it probably won't let you see a feed without being on the internet.

You "might" be able to do something like VLC the feed and feed that into BI but it would be terribly inefficient and not worth the effort.

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess I just don't understand how the cloud-based ones work. I was assuming that there must be a video feed coming from the camera that isn't available without internet connection. I was hoping I could intercept the raw signal. Sounds like it can't be done. Thanks for your help!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If that were the case, everyone would be doing it.

Instead people bought Ring and then got fed up with the subscription fees and then had to ditch the cameras if they got new ones.

Maybe a tech guru could figure out how to "break" or hack into the proprietary code and rewrite firmware, but that would be an undertaking! And for the sensors they put on them, not worth the effort LOL.

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh well, I'm not sure what I'll use it for. I'll have to figure out how I can protect it on the network to use it.
thanks