Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Last edited:

dubb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Atleast 100-200ft

Brand doesn’t matter.

I think the dahua sd49225 is good too right?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is a very good camera with a large sensor - it will perform well at night. You most likely dont need a ptz though.

Chris BC

n3wb
Reaction score
I was looking at this one. It might be cheaper if I buy from China right?

I couldn’t find any reviews on it.

HikvisionDS-2DE4A404IW-DE 4MP Outdoor PTZ Network Dome Camera with Night Vision

Edit: nevermind, found the post about that camera.

Apparently, this is a mini ptz camera? What is the difference between the mini and regular size?
This is not mini at all. It is a large "speed dome" beast. Check out the dimensions in the attached data sheet.

It also has "smart tracking", which unfortunately is hit and miss. This is one of the reasons I bought it, but I'm about to return it to B&H if I still can based on the erratic behavior of the smart tracking, and the cost. I would be curious to know if a model like this could be had directly from China for considerably less. It's over $600 from B&H or Provantage, as you found already. The smart tracking, when it works, will zoom in and out (as well as panning/tilting) to track the subject. Based on that it would cover 100 to 200 feet.

Low light performance is very good. Also has PTZ settings out the wazoo. You may need an associate's degree to familiarize yourself with all of them.

One thing about this camera versus all the other Hiks I've tried, is that it does have quite a bit of dynamic range with its ability to combine settings that many other cameras will not let you use in combination. I had it inside the house, looking out into the bright daylight (One of those scenes you see on TV where the human eye could easily perceive things inside and outside at the same time, yet the video camera blows out the outdoor view until they expose for it, and at that point indoors is nearly black.), and by turning on HLC along with WDR I could see a decent exposure on the inside and on the outside at the same time.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is not mini at all. It is a large "speed dome" beast. Check out the dimensions in the attached data sheet.

It also has "smart tracking", which unfortunately is hit and miss. This is one of the reasons I bought it, but I'm about to return it to B&H if I still can based on the erratic behavior of the smart tracking, and the cost. I would be curious to know if a model like this could be had directly from China for considerably less. It's over $600 from B&H or Provantage, as you found already. The smart tracking, when it works, will zoom in and out (as well as panning/tilting) to track the subject. Based on that it would cover 100 to 200 feet.

Low light performance is very good. Also has PTZ settings out the wazoo. You may need an associate's degree to familiarize yourself with all of them.

One thing about this camera versus all the other Hiks I've tried, is that it does have quite a bit of dynamic range with its ability to combine settings that many other cameras will not let you use in combination. I had it inside the house, looking out into the bright daylight (One of those scenes you see on TV where the human eye could easily perceive things inside and outside at the same time, yet the video camera blows out the outdoor view until they expose for it, and at that point indoors is nearly black.), and by turning on HLC along with WDR I could see a decent exposure on the inside and on the outside at the same time.
This is a medium sized ptz. The full size units are larger. Smart tracking is a gimmick in every camera.

Chris BC

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a medium sized ptz. The full size units are larger. Smart tracking is a gimmick in every camera.
Yeah, I was about to add that my large is relative to my other domes, and that there are other even larger domes.

So you've tested numerous "smart tracking" models and none of them are all that smart? Sometimes this one will lock on and follow you accurately for quite a ways, back and forth and side to side. Other times it acts like it's blind. And then there's the wobbling back and forth when the tracked subject leaves the field of view....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was about to add that my large is relative to my other domes, and that there are other even larger domes.

So you've tested numerous "smart tracking" models and none of them are all that smart? Sometimes this one will lock on and follow you accurately for quite a ways, back and forth and side to side. Other times it acts like it's blind. And then there's the wobbling back and forth when the tracked subject leaves the field of view....
This is common across the board. The only way to get true auto tracking is to use multiple cameras one wide angle the others that can zoom mated with expensive software.
Suppose two objects are in the scene, auto tracking will only track one and miss everything else. Its useless.

Chris BC

n3wb
Reaction score
This is common across the board. The only way to get true auto tracking is to use multiple cameras one wide angle the others that can zoom mated with expensive software.
Suppose two objects are in the scene, auto tracking will only track one and miss everything else. Its useless.
In a crowd or multiple people/moving objects scenario, I would agree completely. In a single intruder, or a couple of intruders together scenario, I would expect it to work from okay to pretty well. I had a kid steal one of my kid's bikes right out of my garage about a month ago, and the fact he was caught by one of the cams (and the video posted on local Facebook groups) lead to him ditching the bike 3 days later such that it was recovered, even though there was no view of his face on video. I expect in most residential neighborhoods the thieves/vandals will often be alone, or will often be grouped together at points even if there are 2 or 3 of them.

I would always also have a fixed wide view camera so nothing is missed, but the idea with this type of camera is to try and get a closer view via the tracking feature. And often catching just one of a group is enough to get the rest.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In a crowd or multiple people/moving objects scenario, I would agree completely. In a single intruder, or a couple of intruders together scenario, I would expect it to work from okay to pretty well. I had a kid steal one of my kid's bikes right out of my garage about a month ago, and the fact he was caught by one of the cams (and the video posted on local Facebook groups) lead to him ditching the bike 3 days later such that it was recovered, even though there was no view of his face on video. I expect in most residential neighborhoods the thieves/vandals will often be alone, or will often be grouped together at points even if there are 2 or 3 of them.

I would always also have a fixed wide view camera so nothing is missed, but the idea with this type of camera is to try and get a closer view via the tracking feature. And often catching just one of a group is enough to get the rest.
You are much better off with multiple fix cameras...

Chris BC

n3wb
Reaction score
You are much better off with multiple fix cameras...
If the smart tracking works, and it zooms in and gets more details to complement a fixed wide angle, then no, unless I want to blanket my entire house with dozens of cameras such that I have wide and close up coverage everywhere. I've got 7 fixed cams already, and I still have some areas with no cam coverage at all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If the smart tracking works, and it zooms in and gets more details to complement a fixed wide angle, then no, unless I want to blanket my entire house with dozens of cameras such that I have wide and close up coverage everywhere. I've got 7 fixed cams already, and I still have some areas with no cam coverage at all.
It doesnt work. It will never work. Even if you think you have it dialed in, I promise you that when you need it, it wont. Murphy. Instead of the ptz add 2-3 fixed cameras. Problem solved. Ptz are only useful if you trigger their movement by way of sensor or other cameras and/or if you have a live person controlling it.

Reaction score
Hello. I have a question to the owners of this camera (DS-2DE4A404IW-DE). The specs claim: "The 2.8-12mm varifocal lens delivers a 69.5 to 26.48° horizontal field of view. The camera features endless panning, a -5 to 90° tilt range, and 4x optical zoom. " So the 4MP version only supports 70 degree angle, whereas the almost identical 2MP version called DS-2DE4A204IW-DE (both have a 1/1.9" sensor) has a 90 degree horizontal viewing angle. I always thought that 2.8mm deliver around 90-100° viewing angle. This 69.5° seem a bit strange and narrow to me. Can someone confirm this?

I ordered one on Aliexpress for around 340 $ but now I am confused and contemplate cancelling my order. But the price (considering it features Darkfighter) was very tempting and I couldn't resist, so I tought I give it a try. But 70° are less than my current bullet camera with fixed lens (2.8mm).

Last edited: