Isolation from internet.

Killhippie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sorry If this has been asked a million times before, my memory is not great due to a disability its the medication that causes the issues for a spinal degenerative issue so any help would be great.

I saw recent a CVE about the new variant of the Mirai botnet being aware my NVR was not getting security updates and was EOL I decided to take my NVR down, while I decided what to do, I did have it connected to the internet but no intrusion was detected and it has protected by a complex password and its own firewall behind the routers firewall.

I want to put it back up and use the DMSS app for the Dahua NVR for inside of my home only as I am housebound mainly. If I use access control to block the NVR accessing the internet on my router, turn off P2P and UPNP on the NVR, so can I use the NVR and my two Dahua TioC 2.0 cameras via the dmss app, using just the IP of the NVR to see who is at my door and to communicate and to record of course, I just need to be able to use a mobile device indoors via Wi-Fi, not from outside my home though. I can remove the DNS servers from the NVR and leave its IP set up on DHCP so its dead headed as such, so my tablet and phone can use DMSS to acess the NVR only over my LAN but not beyond my property. Does this sound feasible?

Access Control on a Netgear RAX500E stops all internet communication for new devices , the NVR will have no DNS servers and no services running apart from CGI which seems needed for the cameras night to day auto settings, they are already on their own subnet in the NVR, and have no communication with the outside world. I just dont want to waste a Dahua NVR5216-16P-I/L and two 4K TioC 2.0 SMD 3 cameras which work well enough for my needs, both Turrets and give a good enough picture for my needs, would ths setup keep the NVR safe from outside communication or should I do anything else to its NIC?? I need to acess the cameras from the DMSS app using just the IP of the NVR over my LAN as I cannot always get to a seperate main screen. It may mean the time drifts a little but its the only way I can think of to use the EOL turrets and EOL NVR safely without a seperate screen which is not how I want to use the system.

Thank you for any advice you have reguarding this.