iSPY quality very subpar

Natani

n3wb
Reaction score
I been testing connections on 3 different pieces of software, iSPY, Blue Iris trial and Zoneminder. So far I got Blue Iris to work perfect with my Reolinks, the RCL-410 and 420 but iSPY on the other hand.. the quality is real crap and I cannot seem to fix it. I want to use iSPY because of the cost but nothing I do in the settings fixes the quality issue. Both of my Reolink cameras are 5mp, the grabs are from my dome camera.BlueIris Pic.jpg iSPY pic.jpg

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
reolink cameras are crap.

You will have problems because you can not set the IFRAME value. You will get spots, blurs and tails on moving object.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
iSpy should not be affecting the image quality. You probably configured it to pull a sub stream or something.

Natani

n3wb
Reaction score
iSpy should not be affecting the image quality. You probably configured it to pull a sub stream or something.
The settings are the exact same in both applications as far as the stream selection.

reolink cameras are crap.

You will have problems because you can not set the IFRAME value. You will get spots, blurs and tails on moving object.
I haven't since I have had them? I don't have any issues except with iSpy. I have double checked all the settings. Checked all the streams and everything. When I use the web login its fine.

My standard welcome to the forum message. Please read the [URL='https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/ip-cam-talk-cliff-notes' said:
cliff notes[/URL] and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess
I did plan and read reviews, I do not use open ports or wifi or cloud storage. Everything is hardwired with Cat 5e AWG 24. I have a bullet and dome. And I did test mount it all. This isnt my first rodeo with IP cameras but first with iSPY, I poured over the wiki for hours.

I went with the Reolink because of the average reviews and feed back across all sorts of places. I cannot afford 90+ for a camera at this time or else I would have bought more well known brands.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As I've never run iSpy before, I'm not sure what it does and doesn't do. If you want help troubleshooting you may need to provide screenshots or a video (not using a cell phone to capture) demonstrating the problem. Most people here would just tell you to buy a Blue Iris license for $60 before the price goes up next week.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The settings are the exact same in both applications as far as the stream selection.

I haven't since I have had them? I don't have any issues except with iSpy. I have double checked all the settings. Checked all the streams and everything. When I use the web login its fine.

I did plan and read reviews, I do not use open ports or wifi or cloud storage. Everything is hardwired with Cat 5e AWG 24. I have a bullet and dome. And I did test mount it all. This isnt my first rodeo with IP cameras but first with iSPY, I poured over the wiki for hours.

I went with the Reolink because of the average reviews and feed back across all sorts of places. I cannot afford 90+ for a camera at this time or else I would have bought more well known brands.
Sounds like it is your first rodeo based on this post.

Natani

n3wb
Reaction score
Screw it, im sending the reolink ones back because after adding it up, with purchasing blue Iris after the trial, it's cheaper for me to get one of the cheaper Duhua cameras. And atm I can use just one because my Swann CCTV system is still "operational" but it's going out.

And no it's not. I've used and help setup systems before and have been told before first hand that Reolink was okay if you need to go cheap. I've never used iSpy, I verified all the settings between the two applications and they we're the same stream, same connection method and everything. That's why I titled it the way I did and asked what I did. But all I got as responses was saying I have a setting wrong,no help. Why? Because like I said I double checked. Both were set to the main stream, both at 30fps, both bit rate the same, porta, login, everything. I even tweaked saturation and contrast within the camera itself. Hell even Reolinks software had better quality.

I'm not trying to dis on iSpy,I want to use it. The "helpful" bit I got was the link that explained more details and about the forum member selling Duhua cameras. That helped because I looked into them more. I've only known them as being hella expensive. Every other time I have helped with configuration of a ip cam system it has been Blue Iris or an NVR.

But now that the Reolink ones have shown their true colours with iSpy,in the long run it will be cheaper to go Duhua so thank you for that. But I don't appreciate being talked down to when I was simply explain my experiences.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Screw it, im sending the reolink ones back because after adding it up, with purchasing blue Iris after the trial, it's cheaper for me to get one of the cheaper Duhua cameras. And atm I can use just one because my Swann CCTV system is still "operational" but it's going out.

And no it's not. I've used and help setup systems before and have been told before first hand that Reolink was okay if you need to go cheap. I've never used iSpy, I verified all the settings between the two applications and they we're the same stream, same connection method and everything. That's why I titled it the way I did and asked what I did. But all I got as responses was saying I have a setting wrong,no help. Why? Because like I said I double checked. Both were set to the main stream, both at 30fps, both bit rate the same, porta, login, everything. I even tweaked saturation and contrast within the camera itself. Hell even Reolinks software had better quality.

I'm not trying to dis on iSpy,I want to use it. The "helpful" bit I got was the link that explained more details and about the forum member selling Duhua cameras. That helped because I looked into them more. I've only known them as being hella expensive. Every other time I have helped with configuration of a ip cam system it has been Blue Iris or an NVR.

But now that the Reolink ones have shown their true colours with iSpy,in the long run it will be cheaper to go Duhua so thank you for that. But I don't appreciate being talked down to when I was simply explain my experiences.
You will get talked down to when you profess to have experience that you clearly lack. Admit what you don't know. Reading Amazon reviews and hooking up a wife camera for Grandma is not experience.