LOL...Anyone still running XP?

Reaction score
I know-- silly damn question. Although I DO know of an organization with an XP machine running for a special purpose involved with an AC/Heat system for a large building.... and yes, it IS exposed to the internet for no good reason. Cool article...

1716300534055.png

The Youtube video associated with this little experiment...

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m sad to report I run a XP Enterprise server for the very reason the other person does. :(

The software developer passed away many years ago and nobody ever picked up the development for it. :banghead:

The server is isolated, sandboxed, and only powers on once a month. The server is NOT accessible over the WAN!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m sad to report I run a XP Enterprise server for the very reason the other person does. :(

The software developer passed away many years ago and nobody ever picked up the development for it. :banghead:

The server is isolated, sandboxed, and only powers on once a month. The server is NOT accessible over the WAN!
I know-- silly damn question. Although I DO know of an organization with an XP machine running for a special purpose involved with an AC/Heat system for a large building.... and yes, it IS exposed to the internet for no good reason. Cool article...

View attachment 194961

The Youtube video associated with this little experiment...

Windows XP .. yes know of industrial equipment still running Windows XP .. irritates that it basically is a open vulnerability waiting to blow up ..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a client with a Dell Dimension 2400 with XP from 2003 cutting vinyl signs commercially which I wrote about this past Jan. of '24. They go online to download new graphics and I've already warned them...several times the last several years :idk::

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe these target adds mentioned in another thread is working then... I watched a YouTube video about a similar thing yesterday albeit it was Windows 2000 though :rofl:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Had a site where they had an XP machine controlling some kind of CNC machine. It was shoved into a broom closet piled to the rafters with every piece of random garbage you could imagine. :facepalm:

I get the call to assist a colleague about the security networking on something unrelated at this site.

He tells me nobody knows where the computer that manages the CNC. As stated up above after walking around two football fields worth of building we find the broom closet storage where this 1990 PC is sitting buried eight feet deep!:(

My friend asks what he should do?!?

I tell him instantly do nothing and run!

He looks at me and starts to laugh but wants to know why?!? I told him as soon as you look at it never mind touch it.

You’ll own that problem and tens of thousands of dollars in lost revenue! He followed what I said and simply reported it to the management in the company and let them figure it out and to call him later when they were ready.

Fast forward about two hours we are both off site having lunch. My friend gets what is known as a CRISIT.

This is a Critical Situation and requires what we term (Sudden Service) onsite within 30 minutes!

So guess what senior management does?!? They grab Bob in the custodial services and some third party IT to come work on the computer. :rofl:

Anyone’s who’s been around computers for any length of time will know. Any PSU, MOBO, FAN, HDD, that has been running none stop for years. IF and When you power it down there’s a 99.9999999% it will NEVER power up again!

Long story short the HDD died . . .

Nobody has the CNC floppy disks, XP Key, and the BIOS password!

This computer stopped a multi million dollar operation for three months! The 3rd party IT Company had to file for bankruptcy protection.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Had a site where they had an XP machine controlling some kind of CNC machine. It was shoved into a broom closet piled to the rafters with every piece of random garbage you could imagine. :facepalm:

I get the call to assist a colleague about the security networking on something unrelated at this site.

He tells me nobody knows where the computer that manages the CNC. As stated up above after walking around two football fields worth of building we find the broom closet storage where this 1990 PC is sitting buried eight feet deep!:(

My friend asks what he should do?!?

I tell him instantly do nothing and run!

He looks at me and starts to laugh but wants to know why?!? I told him as soon as you look at it never mind touch it.

You’ll own that problem and tens of thousands of dollars in lost revenue! He followed what I said and simply reported it to the management in the company and let them figure it out and to call him later when they were ready.

Fast forward about two hours we are both off site having lunch. My friend gets what is known as a CRISIT.

This is a Critical Situation and requires what we term (Sudden Service) onsite within 30 minutes!

So guess what senior management does?!? They grab Bob in the custodial services and some third party IT to come work on the computer. :rofl:

Anyone’s who’s been around computers for any length of time will know. Any PSU, MOBO, FAN, HDD, that has been running none stop for years. IF and When you power it down there’s a 99.9999999% it will NEVER power up again!

Long story short the HDD died . . .

Nobody has the CNC floppy disks, XP Key, and the BIOS password!

This computer stopped a multi million dollar operation for three months! The 3rd party IT Company had to file for bankruptcy protection.
Exactly !!

lol .. I know of companies who did massive layoffs and ended up with lost and abandoned systems nobody knew how to admin, no account info for admins, no passwords, .. just waiting for them to basically die .. hoping whatever customer / line of business transitioned off those systems before they die ..

SNAFU ..

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly !!

lol .. I know of companies who did massive layoffs and ended up with lost and abandoned system nobody knew how to admin, no account info for admins, no passwords, .. just waiting for them to basically die .. hoping whatever customer / line of business transitioned off those systems before they die ..

SNAFU ..
Preach . . . :thumb:

I’ve always found it ironic that the vast majority of SMB to large enterprises companies spend more time and money on stationary and furniture than IT
Personal / Hardware ?!?:facepalm:

It’s not like every human being doesn’t rely on the computer technology! My friend dodged a huge bullet that day for sure!
:lmao:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
"One YouTuber, Eric Parker, decided to find out (via XDA)."

Kind of reminds me of the news media "According to reports....", "Sources say.....". I'm not going to believe one uncorroborated report that could very well be click bait. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it sounds awfully suspicious to me.

For the record, I occasionally use an XP box under win 7 to run a couple of XP-only apps.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ve got a couple of sound engineers that still run xp because the music/recording industry jumped on the greed bandwagon and want to either charge annually or make you buy manufacturer specific hardware.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Will windows 10 be like that in November ‘25? One wonders if there isn’t a little department in the basement at Microsoft churning out the viruses that will force us all to abandon W10 when they decide it’s time.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
15 years ago or so I had the pleasure of using an electron microscope that only worked with a custom ISA interface on an ancient PC running still running Windows 3.1.

It would be interesting to see a fully patched XP SP3, with firewall still enabled, and USGCB applied put through a similar test. There are obviously major unpatched vulns, but it would be interesting to give the poor widdle xp install a fighting chance. That might survive without a hostile actor on the LAN and no web browsing.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
We still have companies using Embedded XP on their POS / Terminals at some random company. Besides that I was leading a project for the Government of Canada.

On my first day someone sets up what appear to be an early 2000 computer system for us to use.

I almost burst out crying and laughing when I saw they still use Lotus Notes!!! :facepalm:

I can honestly say thank god for Google and YouTube! Because I didn’t remember all the things about this IBM Shit Notes!:angry:

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We still have companies using Embedded XP on their POS / Terminals at some random company. Besides that I was leading a project for the Government of Canada.

On my first day someone sets up what appear to be an early 2000 computer system for us to use.

I almost burst out crying and laughing when I saw they still use Lotus Notes!!! :facepalm:

I can honestly say thank god for Google and YouTube! Because I didn’t remember all the things about this IBM Shit Notes!:angry:
Was it a cash only business? Here in the US win 7 is no longer credit card compliant.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Was it a cash only business? Here in the US win 7 is no longer credit card compliant.
Going off memory one of them was setup in Kiosk mode to provide the customer information about products and directory services / mapping location in the building.

The facility was more than three football fields in length and five floors. The other I believe was some kind of access portal with touch display that integrated with the different network devices to allow logged printing, scanning, and fax.

It doubled as an encrypter so documents could be sent securely but also track it for billing purposes. They were a contractor for the military on behalf of Lockheed Martin.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Going off memory one of them was setup in Kiosk mode to provide the customer information about products and directory services / mapping location in the building.

The facility was more than three football fields in length and five floors. The other I believe was some kind of access portal with touch display that integrated with the different network devices to allow logged printing, scanning, and fax.

It doubled as an encrypter so documents could be sent securely but also track it for billing purposes. They were a contractor for the military on behalf of Lockheed Martin.
Kinda like cameras, don’t fix something that’s not broken!

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Kinda like cameras, don’t fix something that’s not broken!
I mean it works and is a read only device. But given, it’s on the network and has zero patching capability.

I would really hope it’s completely isolated and sandboxed from anything else on the LAN / InterLAN.

If not it’s just a gaping door for someone else.