Lonnky LED IR Illuminator 8-Leds

Reaction score

I just wanted to contribute something as this site has been a huge help to me in my quest to install a custom security camera system. Also instrumental, was a friend of mine that passed away last week from a massive heart attack. He was really patient with me and 'squarred me ' away on many aspects of security systems.
I have 6 of 9 cameras installed, and couldn't be happier with them. However on the side of my house, I have a rather narrow, long fenced in area that is partially 'dark' to the IR light on my camera. I wanted a IR light that matched, as well as I could, my Dahua IPC-HDW4631C-A cameras (absolutely love them). So I picked the Lonnky LED IR Illuminator. It has about the same positive to negative review ratio as all the rest, so my only concern is the longevity of it. Only time will tell. It does seem to be well made.

I took it out side last night on my patio, and was absolutely blown away by how much light it gave to the camera. I haven't experienced anything like this since I tried on my first set of AN/PVS-5 googles in the Philippines, and then was really blown away by the '7-Bravo' googles. Wow, what a huge difference. I haven't had time to mount it, that is a weekend project, as being a attic rat is not my favorite thing to do. If I had needed a larger area to light up, I definitely would have gone with the Univivi IR 12 LED's Wide Angle IR Illuminator. I still might for other parts of my back yard. I will take some before and after screen shots once I get it up this weekend.

Until then, thank you all for some outstanding reading and be safe out there!

Day picture....(No, neighbor doesn't care, mof he likes it-retired school teacher) and current night picture.

Updated:

Picture of Side Fence with IR Illuminator. Also, a picture of my 'freak'n laser beam'. :)

Attachments

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Make sure you go out and walk around in front of your external IR light. I have found these high power IR LED lights easily wash out the face/body, even the 4 LED lights that I use. I had to cut out a plastic diffuser that you see in overhead florescent lights and glue to the front of my IR lights to attenuate and spread the light out. Good luck with them. Post some video/pics when you have it set up.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
TonyR, I didn't even think about that. But, what I am planning on doing, is having the 'wart' plugged into a power strip I have in my closet (power strip not visible in pics), just like my main switch and my two 8 port POE's are. I already have a 30 foot 12V power extension cable that I will run thru my my attic, and drop into my closet like I did my POE cameras. I would certainly leave nothing powered (like the adapter) in my attic specifically because of our brutal summers here. Here is a pic of my network setup.....I decided on two 8 port 123 watt Netgear POE's, to split the power consumption...probably not needed, but good enough for me. Obviously, you are not seeing the 6 camera cables plugged into the POE as well. That and I didn't want the sound of a high speed fan blowing in this room as well. And thank you about my friend. He was far too young....39. I am 57. :(

Attachments

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've made it a practice to pull a 16/2, CMR rated, cable along with the CAT cables to each camera location. That lets me have 12VDC power available, whether I need it or not, and centrally manage the power supply rather than rely on a bunch of cheap wall warts. I do still have some PoE splitters and "Y" cables hanging around, but they are a just in case measure now.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I just wanted to contribute something as this site has been a huge help to me in my quest to install a custom security camera system. Also instrumental, was a friend of mine that passed away last week from a massive heart attack. He was really patient with me and 'squarred me ' away on many aspects of security systems.
I have 6 of 9 cameras installed, and couldn't be happier with them. However on the side of my house, I have a rather narrow, long fenced in area that is partially 'dark' to the IR light on my camera. I wanted a IR light that matched, as well as I could, my Dahua IPC-HDW4631C-A cameras (absolutely love them). So I picked the Lonnky LED IR Illuminator. It has about the same positive to negative review ratio as all the rest, so my only concern is the longevity of it. Only time will tell. It does seem to be well made.

I took it out side last night on my patio, and was absolutely blown away by how much light it gave to the camera. I haven't experienced anything like this since I tried on my first set of AN/PVS-5 googles in the Philippines, and then was really blown away by the '7-Bravo' googles. Wow, what a huge difference. I haven't had time to mount it, that is a weekend project, as being a attic rat is not my favorite thing to do. If I had needed a larger area to light up, I definitely would have gone with the Univivi IR 12 LED's Wide Angle IR Illuminator. I still might for other parts of my back yard. I will take some before and after screen shots once I get it up this weekend.

Until then, thank you all for some outstanding reading and be safe out there!

Day picture....(No, neighbor doesn't care, mof he likes it-retired school teacher) and current night picture.
Have you tried turning the camera 90 degrees, and using corridor mode? The IR bouncing off the brick is killing your exposure.
Like this:
SunroomWalk 2020-10-01 11.08.05.797 AM.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
TonyR, I didn't even think about that. But, what I am planning on doing, is having the 'wart' plugged into a power strip I have in my closet (power strip not visible in pics), just like my main switch and my two 8 port POE's are. I already have a 30 foot 12V power extension cable that I will run thru my my attic, and drop into my closet like I did my POE cameras. I would certainly leave nothing powered (like the adapter) in my attic specifically because of our brutal summers here. Here is a pic of my network setup.....I decided on two 8 port 123 watt Netgear POE's, to split the power consumption...probably not needed, but good enough for me. Obviously, you are not seeing the 6 camera cables plugged into the POE as well. That and I didn't want the sound of a high speed fan blowing in this room as well. And thank you about my friend. He was far too young....39. I am 57. :(
FYI: If you are energy conscious, those plates you used on the ceiling will not prevent air passage from or into the attic.
Sorry about your friend.

Reaction score
Have you tried turning the camera 90 degrees, and using corridor mode? The IR bouncing off the brick is killing your exposure.
Like this:
View attachment 71772

Funny you said that. When I first installed it...I was like, holy crap that's a lot of over exposure. So I remembered to go into the camera itself and yes, I did turn the camera around 90 degrees. Made a huge difference. I will have to look for 'corridor' mode. Didn't see that. Thank you!
FYI: If you are energy conscious, those plates you used on the ceiling will not prevent air passage from or into the attic.
Sorry about your friend.
Thank you, it was quite the shock. As for the plates, not overly concerned about it. By next summer, I will make a cover for the plates as well as place back in the attic the insulation I pushed to the side for access. Until then, I am WELCOMING the cool air from the attic into my room for fall and winter! :)

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 3 of these Lonnky's and use POE splitters to power them. I use a regular POE splitter for one and an Ubiquite FLex 5 POE switch for the others. I bought them on sale for $25 USD each. For the price they work great but they do give a hotspot area. Two of mine have been in the Pacific NW weather for the past 6 months and are still working fine.

....Regarding the bullet IR illuminator, have you considered running a POE-to-12VDC splitter such as this ? ==>> Waterproof 802.3af PoE Splitter, PLUSPOE 12V Power Over Ethernet for Non-PoE Devices
That way you wouldn't have to deal with running 120VAC for that wall wart, much less having to protect it, especially from attic heat in TX summers.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had one of these installed since January of 2017 and it's still working fine. I see they're not available right now but there seem to be equivalents from the same vendor. I use it to "flood" most of my back yard which is about 200 feet deep and 300 feet wide. The Dahua cameras easily see out to 150 feet using this. It is powered with adedicated wall wart though.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like external IR illumination because I can then shut of the camera's IR and that greatly reduces bugs (spider webs) and rain drops from triggering the motion detection. Just mount the external IR illuminator a bit away from the cams so the bugs that get attracted to it don't fly in front of the camera.

Reaction score
I've had one of these installed since January of 2017 and it's still working fine. I see they're not available right now but there seem to be equivalents from the same vendor. I use it to "flood" most of my back yard which is about 200 feet deep and 300 feet wide. The Dahua cameras easily see out to 150 feet using this. It is powered with adedicated wall wart though.

Heck yes that thing will just about blast a death ray! :) Didn't need anything that big, but I did think about it. Glad it is holding up.

Reaction score
I wanted to update the use and longevity of my IR Lights by Lonnky. Of the 4 I have, 3 are still working, one died, and two of the power warts bit the dust. I am just shy of 3 years, so I guess for the price, that isn't bad. $15.95 for two power warts and will order a replacement for the one that did die. I am thinking that this is pretty good considering the different elements they have been exposed to in 3 years. Just a FYI update.