Looking for LPR software for Blue Iris

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've got it dialed in pretty good with two zones but how do I force BI to only trigger for vehicles going one way? Like they have to hit zone A first and then zone B. I tried setting A-B and A>B but it triggers with the vehicle coming in and leaving. I only need leaving since we only have rear plates here.

Edit: I've added a third zone, and like you, have zone A as the entire thing then have it set to trigger if an object enters zone B and cross into zone C. We'll see how that works. I think I needed that one zone to cover everything first.

Last edited:

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Interesting, when I changed it to 3 zones; Zone A being the entire image, B being one line and C being the last line, it does not trigger when I use AB>C or B>C.

Taigar

n3wb
Reaction score
Zones are explained on page 55-57 of the help file. I find this file really helpful with configuring Blue Iris.

Of important note, a motion detection object as used by object detection and tracking must always exist in one or more zones. This means there must be continuous zone coverage through areas where an object is being tracked. Instead of worrying about zones overlapping or abutting, it is much easier to just setup one zone to be used as an overall “mask” and then draw additional zones to be used with object detection and tracking. For example, if zone A is left as representing the entire image, you may then draw smaller zones B and C anywhere on the image, and then apply an object tracking rule B>C without consideration of how those zones are aligned or spaced.

So you did right to create zone A being the whole image.

An object is considered to have been in or traveled to a zone if the center point of that object touches the zone.

Maybe your zone is not big enough or the object is not touching the zone good enough? Can you post screenshots of your zones and settings?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks, I was trying to follow the help file but I was not getting any triggers with the three zones so I have since switched it back to just two smaller zones (A & B) in the middle and using "A-B" in the trigger section "Object crosses zones". This setup triggers both ways, but at least it works for now. It takes me a while to test because it is for my driveway and I normally do not get any vehicles. In both scenarios, my A & B zones had a small space in between each other, should they be up against each other with no space in between? Attached is a screenshot of where my A & B zones exist. Of course when I was using three zones, A would be the entire image and the other two were B & C. I only want triggers when a vehicle crosses from left to right, and when it was working with A&B in this location, I was getting the snapshot at the right time when the vehicle was in the middle and plate easily readable.

zones.png

Taigar

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, if the movement doesn't exist in at least 1 zone, it is lost. So if it first exists in zone A, then a moment in no zone, and after that in zone B, it will not work. That's why it is better to have in zone A the complete image.

When viewing recorded videos, you can right click and select 'test run through motion detector' (or something like that), and it will show you what the motion detector sees. It will be showing colored pixels where the motion is, and a rectangle around the complete movement. This rectangle is what is used in your zones. The center point of that rectangle needs to be in your zone, then it will count for your zone crossing setup.

If you have zone A as whole image, you don't need to specify this zone on your zone crossing setup.

Can you try the following:

Zone A: whole image
Zone B: left yellow part of your screenshot
Zone C: right yellow part of your screenshot

(Not Selected) Object travels (pixels)
(Selected) Object crosses zones: B>C

And after this, post some screenshots of it?

Taigar

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, do you still have your original camera recording all movement? So you still can manually go to the movement?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that, I have the cam recording continuously but that's on the NVR, I did not clone it in BI but I can for testing purposes.

Taigar

n3wb
Reaction score
If you clone the cam in Blue Iris, and let it record every motion (with a pre trigger time of about 3 seconds). You can playback the recordings and select 'Test run through motion detector'.
That way you can try and understand a little bit how the motion detector sees the motion happening.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I don't know what's going on with BI but I set my zones and it works for a while and then I go back in and my zones are all gone, just showing the entire image as the zone.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what's going on with BI but I set my zones and it works for a while and then I go back in and my zones are all gone, just showing the entire image as the zone.
zones are profile specific.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
zones are profile specific.
I never did anything with profiles, how does that affect the zones I have for one specific camera? Does it need to be only one profile for that cam?

Also should my alert "images" actually be clips instead of just an image? And why do some of my zones show very tiny hatches and some show a larger hatch when editing?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I never did anything with profiles, how does that affect the zones I have for one specific camera? Does it need to be only one profile for that cam?

Also should my alert "images" actually be clips instead of just an image?
No. You need to ensure you are setting your zones for profile 1 and that you are using profile 1.
Alerts are never clips. Alerts are pointers to a position in the clip. In fact, unless you choose to store high res alert images in your settings (which is generally wasteful and not needed), only a low res alert image is saved in the database.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So would I select "Profile 1" in the main BI interface at the top? Do I also need to press the "play" arrow or should it display the pause icon? And for the profile under the specific camera, do I make sure only profile one is highlighted as "active" and all the others are grayed out?

I used to only have image alerts, now they are actually motion clips when I select "alerts" from the drop down. The only thing I need an alert image for is plate recognizer though and I believe I have them set at 100%.

profile.png

profile1.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So would I select "Profile 1" in the main BI interface at the top? Do I also need to press the "play" arrow or should it display the pause icon? And for the profile under the specific camera, do I make sure only profile one is highlighted as "active" and all the others are grayed out?

I used to only have image alerts, now they are actually motion clips when I select "alerts" from the drop down. The only thing I need an alert image for is plate recognizer though and I believe I have them set at 100%.
if you are not using profiles the default is profile 1. So you dont have to do anything. The pause and play are related to temp and run of profiles. Only one profile will be active.
you dont have alert clips, the alert is pointing to a position in the clip and that is what is playing.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am not using profiles as far as I am aware so why are my zones disappearing or getting moved around for certain cams?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
=
I am not using profiles as far as I am aware so why are my zones disappearing or getting moved around for certain cams?
are you using ptz preset specific zones?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
No, I have a IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E with 3 zones and the zoom position never changes on the cam, its zoomed all the way. I had it working to trigger on B>C only and then it stopped working, doesn't trigger at all. Seems the settings get changed somehow and when in the zone setup, it used to show where all the other zones are with a lighter shade but it doesn't do that anymore. Been trying different setups. Right now I have zone A that is all of the image. Then the left half of the image is zone B and the right half of the image is zone C. I only want trigger when a vehicle goes from left to right, from zone B to zone C to capture plates.

Taigar

n3wb
Reaction score
I have no idea why your zones are disappearing. Can you post some screenshots of your settings?