Looking for recommendations on LPR w/Lorex NVR

CaliberGSD

n3wb
Reaction score
I am installing a 19 Cam system with these cameras.

Client would like 2 LPR cameras. I am not 100% educated with them. I have attached a overhead view that will show the 2 entrances (on the east side) that he would like to see the plates.

Any suggestions on a camera that would work with the Lorex NVR?

Thanks in advanced!

Attachments

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@CaliberGSD

Up front let me point out that the weakest link for the LPR setup would be the Lorex NVR only because it won’t support things like IVS triggers or ANPR metadata etc itself. If there is an option to change this then I would highly recommend it. If the Lorex is being used as a starter system then that’s fine but again would look at switching the NVR when possible.

With regards to LPR, it also really depends on what you need and expect from the setup, capture video with great quality plates that you manually review OR full blown ANPR processing that gives full plate metadata as the end result.

Ok with those caveats out the way:

Unless they need a ‘true’ LPR cam then I would recommend going with Dahua 5231-Z12s or the newer 5241-Z12’s. I run 2 of these and they are great for LPR duties. The 5241 is part of the Pro AI series so although doesn’t do in cam ANPR it DOES support vehicle detection which accurately marks Vehicles so that you can easily find those clips (only in cam on SD card if using Lorex NVR) when reviewing video and can then manually review for plates. These cams will work fine with basic recording and motion detection tagging back to a Lorex NVR.

If they want a step up then the Ultra AI’s like the 7442 cam I’m currently reviewing (check my threads) do ANPR in cam and can capture plate details directly to cam or push to AI NVR. I would recommend (based on the distance you show in the pic) that the Z4 (longest focal length in that series) would be the way to go there with 32mm on the tele end.

Lastly, If they want ANPR / LPR processing on NVR then they would need to step up to an AI NVR such as Dahua (or equivalent) 5216 etc that can capture metadata including plate and vehicle details on the NVR.

I do want to point out again that the Lorex NVRs won’t recognize IVS rules directly (such as those used for Vehicle Identification etc) BUT throw an SD card in cam and those features would be available in cam for review directly through the web GUI.

Hope that helps and definitely check out the LPR forums where a number of us post setups, configs and associated captures.

I am installing a 19 Cam system with these cameras.

Client would like 2 LPR cameras. I am not 100% educated with them. I have attached a overhead view that will show the 2 entrances (on the east side) that he would like to see the plates.

Any suggestions on a camera that would work with the Lorex NVR?

Thanks in advanced!

CaliberGSD

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank You SO much! This is AWESOME useful information. Thank you for your time!

Unfortunately we will be sticking with the Lorex do to budget and already being set up. Client decided for LPR cameras after the order. Any recommendations on where to locate these two cameras for purchase?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
You are welcome, for the Dahua cameras then I highly recommend Andy @EMPIRETECANDY on this forum for great service.

Please do remember what I pointed out about the fact that if sticking with Lorex then the client would have to manually review video captures (when using NVR) BUT with the cams dialed in would at least get great plate detail. The dialing in of the image is an art (you have to dedicate these cams to LPR duties for bear capture) but if you read the LPR forum (or feel free to reach out) you can get some amazing images

Alternatively, depending on the cams you pick from my recommendations (or others) you also have the in cam processing to assist for vehicle detection or full plate detail. Just remember to throw SD cards recommend Samsung Pro Endurance) in them at install to benefit from it.

Thank You SO much! This is AWESOME useful information. Thank you for your time!

Unfortunately we will be sticking with the Lorex do to budget and already being set up. Client decided for LPR cameras after the order. Any recommendations on where to locate these two cameras for purchase?