Low Voltage Transformer to Power IR Illuminator(s)

kclarke

n3wb
Reaction score
Since an IR illuminator is just a light (no data), can I just use my existing landscape low voltage transformer to power the illuminator? I have a flag pole circuit that goes on and off automatically, so I could just tie in to that. Seems like 12V DC would be easy to pirate off that wire.

I don't want to run POE or AC out to the locations I need if I already have 12V DC low voltage sitting there with capacity. ;)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since an IR illuminator is just a light (no data), can I just use my existing landscape low voltage transformer to power the illuminator? I have a flag pole circuit that goes on and off automatically, so I could just tie in to that. Seems like 12V DC would be easy to pirate off that wire.

I don't want to run POE or AC out to the locations I need if I already have 12V DC low voltage sitting there with capacity. ;)
Should work and probably a better option than using cat-5e cable. Different illuminators have different power requirements, some are going to require a pretty specific voltage others will tolerate a wider voltage range depends on how their circuitry is designed. If the cable runs are too long or overloaded, you could end up with excess voltage drop. Measure the voltage out of your landscape wiring transformer and at the illuminator when it's connected. Also using landscape light wire would be a good choice.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

If it's 12VAC, consider this from July 2023:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it's 12VAC, consider this from July 2023:
You're right, I think most landscape lighting is 12 or 24VAC.
The illuminator may be accept a wide range of voltages both AC and DC. Some have pretty tolerant power supplies.

What's the model of the illuminator you're looking at?

Last edited:

kclarke

n3wb
Reaction score
You're right, I think most landscape lighting is 12 or 24VAC. Fully rectified 12VAC gives you around 33.9VDC.
The illuminator may be accept a wide range of voltages both AC and DC. Some have pretty tolerant power supplies.

What's the model of the illuminator you're looking at?
Something like this: Tendelux DI20 IR Illuminator

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@kclarke ,
Have you checked your "existing landscape low voltage transformer" to see its ratings regarding voltage and wattage or current?
Or have you checked its output with a multimeter or DVM when it's under load?

kclarke

n3wb
Reaction score
@kclarke ,
Have you checked your "existing landscape low voltage transformer" to see its ratings regarding voltage and wattage or current?
Or have you checked its output with a multimeter or DVM when it's under load?
Haven't checked it, but that's a good idea. It's a small 75w transformer that just runs two 4w LED flag pole uplights, but still worth checking.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
For my easement camera I have a Tendelux 10w illuminator temporarily wired into the 12v landscaping transformer. It works fine.

The plan is to add a power supply into the power cabinet/junction box on the fence that houses the power and POE switch, but I didn't want to commit to drilling a hole in it for the power port just yet.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I replaced my landscape lighting “transformer,” I noted that some are AC and some are DC. So make sure your power supply is the same as your illuminator.
Yep, incandescent lamps and most quartz lamps don't give a rip about whether it's AC or DC, although they'll generally last longer on AC (which is strange, I think).