LPR Night Time Settings

Reaction score
Hi Can any one help with some guidance on exposure setting and such to capture plate numbers at night? We have our cameras so they take superb shots when our test vehicle is static but when it is moving it is just a blur.
Its a fairly High end Vivotek Camera and is using a fairly grunty IR Led array.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Distance, speed, ambient light, angle of attack, and other factors can play a role, but the biggest factor is usually Exposure/shutter speed. Generally most are running 1/1000 - 1/2000 exposure, as little DNR as you can stand, and up the contrast. Use of WDR isnt recommended at night, but HLC can be helpful in some situations.

My Night settings for one at 120ft, bad angle 30+ degrees. I run same but 1/1000 during the day.

EntTagNight.jpg

Generally you will only see the plate and small dots for headlights/taillights

__main_20190311225156_@0.jpg

(chnage youtube player to 1080p, Pause at 0:04 for tag capture)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running a dahua HFW4231E-SE 6mm, close to the traffic, with external IR. This is what works for me:

Picture: Style standard, brightness, contrast+saturation+gamma all at 50, sharpness 0.
Exposure: anti flicker outdoor, mode manual, shutter 1/500, gain 10~60, 3d dnr off, grade 46.
Backlight: HLC @ 100, white balance auto.

I'm using the camera's automatic day/night profile switch. Without that the day picture would be useless.

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm heavy on the HLC -> 70
Tune focus in the day, and then set to manual.
Everything else is the same as above or fairly close.
Thats for night mode.
I think we all switch between day/night mode. Some use the Surise/Sunset program. Others use schedule. I use web commamds via Python code.

Good Luck

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As to the iris, I found by playing with it that anything over 40-45 created more IR washout. Can’t say as I fully understand it, but learned from member @nayr that especially at longer distances, it allows me to go to say 1/2000 and by dialing in the iris I get the right amount of light. Auto Iris decides by itself and doesn’t always give you the best image at night at 120ft

On the gain, just trial and error. Maybe a smidge more brightness at 10-0