Mac or Windows (Security Spy vs Blue Iris)

8urt0

n3wb
Reaction score
So as the title suggests I am considering to stick with my fully mac apple house or run my network cameras from a windows machine. I have both options available so buying new hardware is not a problem. I just wonder..

Is there anybody who has used SecuritySpy for mac and converted to Blue Iris that can help convince me to do this?
Does Blue Iris have any advantage for Dahua cameras?

I watched some online youtube videos and it looks like Blue Iris has much more control however does it have AI for detecting Human vs Vehicles ? That is one advantage of Security Spy I can set the thresholds for this in the app for the motion recordings and the alerts via IOS.

I have done many different CCTV options over the years but this is my first time to really be getting into a proper NVR setup. Sorry if this is a stupid question or the wrong place to post guys.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does Blue Iris have any advantage for Dahua cameras?
IMO, Blue Iris treats most cameras equally, brand doesn't matter. It does have the ability (via PullPointSubscription) to use the IVS "advanced motion detection" feature of Dahua cameras, which includes Dahua's version of AI in recent models.

does it have AI for detecting Human vs Vehicles
Not directly. Right now it just has the option of using a 3rd-party service (SmartSentry?) to analyze clips for humans/vehicles. I think I saw mentioned that BI was working towards its own AI, but I can't find a source for that right now.

Looking at SecuritySpy's webpage, one other difference I see is that Blue Iris doesn't have hardware acceleration for H.265 yet.

ipOsX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you using SecuritySpy? Have you found it to be lacking? In my tests with Hikvision cameras, it was fast, stable and full-featured (which accomplishments on the Mac platform are obviously beyond the camera manufacturers). My only real objection is to the pricing model.

8urt0

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you using SecuritySpy? Have you found it to be lacking? In my tests with Hikvision cameras, it was fast, stable and full-featured (which accomplishments on the Mac platform are obviously beyond the camera manufacturers). My only real objection is to the pricing model.
I had the previous version so paid for the discounted upgrade of SecuritySpy. It is ok for just a couple of cameras but when you start to get up to completely surrounding your house with cameras yes I fully agree the pricing structure is horrible. This was also one of the reasons I was starting to look at Blue Iris as an option after discovering it on this forum.

Honestly I like security spy and never had a problem with it and the AI detection levels in it are very good. From what aristobrat said above if Blue Iris incorporated this would be amazing.

See another positive I saw was using a small tower up next to my network switch would be easier for having larger storage space. Right now I am running SecuritySpy on my iMac but was contemplating buying a mac mini to dedicate to it. Then I would also need a add on external hard drive though. (thus the idea of using a PC tower i have doing nothing at the moment).

I think i am going to have to do some research into PullPointSubscription & SmartSentry then possibly just try out Blue Iris and see how I feel about it. :cool: