Motion everywhere... :(

Sammy0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
but the IVS tripwire is working for you on the camera now, correct?
if so , open the suppoort case with synology as a starter.
Yes, I just startes playing with it, but so far I did not get notified like I did with motion detection. :(

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I just startes playing with it, but so far I did not get notified like I did with motion detection. :(
When I still used my Synology, I had the cameras set to directly email when Tripwire happened.

One hassle I had with that is the camera emails twice -- once with the picture of the event, and then again when the event has stopped. The second email didn't contain a picture or anything I found useful. Ended up making a rule on my email server (gmail) to automatically delete the second email.

Sammy0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have exactly the same setup as you. Check out the last page of this thread: Trigger blue iris with IVS?. You might be able to get the script running on your Synology, but I use a RPi so Synology updates don’t mess up my custom scripts and configurations.
I wanted to start trying this script that you mentioned.
What I read in the description though is "This version was built to instead trigger Synology Surveillance Station to start a External Event recording when a configured IVS event is received. "
Is that the right one?

Sammy

Sammy0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Sammy0815 ,

I have a synology to and while it's not my main thing, I do have some testing setup with it. I thought IVS should work with it, even with generic dahua ONVIF.
do you have the smart codec shut off ? (at the camera for starters) or do you have IVS working on the camera just not seeing the proper stuff on the syno side ?
I have smart codec shut off and IVS works on the camera. But... still, nothing is triggered on the Synology side (when I used MD, I instantly got an alert through the DSCam App).

Sammy0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have a micro SD card installed and recording as well? You can set IVS tripwire in the camera settings itself and get notifications that way. Your NAS can still be recording.
That is acutally not a bad idea. Why would I need a micro SD card for that?
My NAS is recording 24/7 anyways, so it seems I could get notified by the Dahua, then get on DSCam and look at the exact time, right?

Sammy

thansen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has everyone opened support cases on the IVS events not being natively picked up, especially for timeline ? I am thinking if there is a ground swell of cases maybe they (synology) will look at fixing it.
I have opened a support case with Synology on this subject as well, I really thought IVS events was supported when i bought the cameras. It makes the Synology more or less useless for surveillance without this.

For now I will use this method and record IVS events on the SD card, and hope Synology add support for IVS events.
Do you have a micro SD card installed and recording as well? You can set IVS tripwire in the camera settings itself and get notifications that way. Your NAS can still be recording.

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wanted to start trying this script that you mentioned.
What I read in the description though is "This version was built to instead trigger Synology Surveillance Station to start a External Event recording when a configured IVS event is received. "
Is that the right one?

Sammy
Yes, that is the correct script. It does require some basic experience with Linux and Python to get started. I put some comments in the code as well since I published it as a quick hack rather than aiming for it to be well documented. Please contribute if you feel up to it!

Last edited:

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have opened a support case with Synology on this subject as well, I really thought IVS events was supported when i bought the cameras. It makes the Synology more or less useless for surveillance without this.
You have to remember the only safe way to get IVS working with either Dahua or Hikvision is to get a NVR from the same supplier. And even then you’ll run into problems as seen in numerous threads, because the NVR still requires you to configure some things directly on the camera. Not always clear what those things are, though. I don’t think Blue Iris supports IVS events either.

I’d be really happy if you get Synology to add IVS support but I wouldn’t hold my breath, since it seems to be specific for Dahua and Hikvision. All in all, as long as you don’t have to get the expensive camera licenses, I think Surevillance Station offers great value for money.

thansen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have to remember the only safe way to get IVS working with either Dahua or Hikvision is to get a NVR from the same supplier. And even then you’ll run into problems as seen in numerous threads, because the NVR still requires you to configure some things directly on the camera. Not always clear what those things are, though. I don’t think Blue Iris supports IVS events either.

I’d be really happy if you get Synology to add IVS support but I wouldn’t hold my breath, since it seems to be specific for Dahua and Hikvision. All in all, as long as you don’t have to get the expensive camera licenses, I think Surevillance Station offers great value for money.
I wouldn’t hold my breath either ;-) but it would be pretty nice if Synology added IVS Support. From the script you provided, and according to the HTTP API, it does not seem to be such a big deal to implement in Surveillance Station, it is just a couple of messages SS should look for, apart from VideoMotion:.

But thank you for the script, i will give it a try later.

Sammy0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am just thinking and trying out another option:
I downloaded the gDMSS Plus app and connected my Dahuas to it.
Then I create notifications for tripwire and it seems that it works fine.
So now, whenever I get a push from that Dahua App, I open my Syno DSCam App on my Phone and can look at the recording.

Yes, the event doesnt show at the Syno NAS, but I have a pretty good time stamp on what to look for.

What do you think about that?

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wouldn’t hold my breath either ;-) but it would be pretty nice if Synology added IVS Support. From the script you provided, and according to the HTTP API, it does not seem to be such a big deal to implement in Surveillance Station, it is just a couple of messages SS should look for, apart from VideoMotion:.

But thank you for the script, i will give it a try later.
You’re absolutely right. It would indeed be pretty easy for Synology to add rudimentary IVS event notification support. I guess a problem for Synology is that they would have to tell users that if they configure IVS events at the camera itself (which requires reading here or watching YouTube), then they can have event notification support in Surveillance Station. Opens up for a lot of confused support tickets, I’d say

Can you copy the ticket you opened with them and I can open one as well? Also post on community.synology.com to encourage even more users!

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am just thinking and trying out another option:
I downloaded the gDMSS Plus app and connected my Dahuas to it.
Then I create notifications for tripwire and it seems that it works fine.
So now, whenever I get a push from that Dahua App, I open my Syno DSCam App on my Phone and can look at the recording.

Yes, the event doesnt show at the Syno NAS, but I have a pretty good time stamp on what to look for.

What do you think about that?
Sounds like a working workaround, good!

Me, I want to avoid gDMSS and keep as much as possible within Synology, but that requires the script. It’s probably easier to get started the way you did.

thansen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You’re absolutely right. It would indeed be pretty easy for Synology to add rudimentary IVS event notification support. I guess a problem for Synology is that they would have to tell users that if they configure IVS events at the camera itself (which requires reading here or watching YouTube), then they can have event notification support in Surveillance Station. Opens up for a lot of confused support tickets, I’d say

Can you copy the ticket you opened with them and I can open one as well? Also post on community.synology.com to encourage even more users!
Here is the reply from Synology support, it's sort of good news, but the time frame is still unknown.

2019-12-12 17:50:50

Hi,
Thank you for contacting Synology support.
Sorry to learn of the issue that you are experiencing.
Unfortunately I am not entirely sure if these features are supported in Surveillance Station.
I have asked our HQ in regards to this and I will update you as soon as I have an answer.
Apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause but hopefully this helps.
Best regards,
Daryl
Technical Support
Hours of operation: 9AM-5:30PM Monday-Thursday, 9AM-5PM Friday.
LiveChat is available for basic support 9AM-5PM, Monday-Friday.
Email Powered by Synology MailPlus
Daryl
2019-12-13 10:29:45

Hi,
Thank you for your email.
I have confirmed that the IVS features of Dahua cameras are not currently supported.
This is a feature that our HQ are aware of and intend to add in a future update however at this present time I have no information regarding a timescale for implementation.
Apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause but hopefully this helps.
Best regards,
Daryl

thansen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@The North Face

As i understand it, Smart Event is a Hikvision feature, and IVS is a Dahua feature. So maybe they are prioritizing Hikvisions Smart Events, and have a time frame for that, and after that, i we are lucky they are looking into IVS, and that's why there is no time frame for that.

But it is all guess work from my side, but hey, at least they are aware of the issue :)

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the dumb thing is they just released some disk station that is a surveillance station specialized device with some wiz bang GPU it to do all this hardcore video analysis, and we are all over here like "just plumb in the notifications that the cameras already are making for starters"

Sammy0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It goes on... I successfully set up IVS and my workaround on notification works nicely. The thing is though, also IVS detects motion where there is none.
Around 5 to 10 times a day this happens and I have idea why.
Any advice?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I ran a Dahua NVR and reviewed the IVS alert recordings through their free SmartPSS tool, there was an option to show the IVS lines on the screen and they would change color as motion was detected and when it crossed the IVS line. Made seeing what caused the IVS alert easy.

I’m wondering if that would work if the camera was configured to temporarily save IVS alert recordings to a SMB share for a few days so you can see what’s tripping it.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also don’t expect to get IVS working through Surveillance Station. If you do, I’d be very happy to hear how you did it. Surveillance Station only supports Motion Detection events, as far as I know.
this is my experience as well which is why i went with blue iris on a dedicated pc, like most on here