Moving Hikvision NVR.

Munzz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve been testing a Hik NVR and camera setup over the past few days, camera being powered by the NVR via PoE.

The setup is actually for a relative so I will be moving the equipment and relocating it to its new home this weekend.

Am I likely to run into any network issues when I do this?

I assume the IP address of the camera will not change or be affected and it should be plug and play?

I will be sorting out the port forwarding there and then as it’s not currently set up so no issues there.

Thanks for your continued support.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I will be sorting out the port forwarding there and then as it’s not currently set up so no issues there.
Be aware that you will be putting your relative's LAN, it's data and any devices on it at risk by port-forwarding the NVR such that anyone on the internet could access and potentially compromise it.
You must let them know you will be doing this.
NVRs are far from being a hardened internet security appliance - quite the opposite in fact.

Munzz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Be aware that you will be putting your relative's LAN, it's data and any devices on it at risk by port-forwarding the NVR such that anyone on the internet could access and potentially compromise it.
You must let them know you will be doing this.
NVRs are far from being a hardened internet security appliance - quite the opposite in fact.
Thanks for the response, I was under the impression this was a standard thing to do, with limited security risk.

Is there a better method of accessing the NVR from outside the network then?