Network setup for existing house

Sawman

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for advice on my plan. I live in the country with no internet. My setup will be 8 POE cameras scattered around the exterior of home and shop. They will be wired to three separate switches and those will be networked to a dedicated BlueIris computer (which has no internet)in the shop. I plan to route the BlueIris feed into the house (100ft)via a wifi router to allow viewing on the TV.
Is there a simple way to control the computer without wiring? Really don't want to run wiring to the TV, which tends to get moved as the wife rearranges the living room.
PS, no internet at all.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Currently, my powerline adapters are reporting the ability to transfer up to 765 Mbps over the powerline which is more than enough since my internet service is 400 Mbps currently.

1699030976838.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the TV is a "smart" TV with a compatible browser, you should be able to open up BI's UI3 webserver over the Wi-Fi.
I have a Logitech K-400 keyboard and touchpad combo that allows me to sit on the couch about 12 ft. away and enter characters into the browser, Youtube, etc.

My TV is a Sony with Google TV O/S and Chrome browser.

I've heard of people with a dumb TV or a TV with not-so-good browser ability using an Amazon Firestick, plugged into HDMI port, connecting to the wireless and streaming BI's UI3 webserver. From the Google PlayStore they sideloaded onto the Firestick the Android version of Google Chrome (Chromium-based) which is UI3's preferred browser.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Regarding TV browsers I'm not having much luck. UI3 in the Samsung browser doesn't work so well (a lot of error messages) and my other Samsung TV is connected to a Roku but Roku doesn't have a browser. I kind of didn't want to move to Firestick or Chromecast for either TV but maybe I will eventually do it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for advice on my plan. I live in the country with no internet. My setup will be 8 POE cameras scattered around the exterior of home and shop. They will be wired to three separate switches and those will be networked to a dedicated BlueIris computer (which has no internet)in the shop. I plan to route the BlueIris feed into the house (100ft)via a wifi router to allow viewing on the TV.
Is there a simple way to control the computer without wiring? Really don't want to run wiring to the TV, which tends to get moved as the wife rearranges the living room.
PS, no internet at all.
Hi @Sawman,

imho I like to wire my home .. of course depends on the construction of the house.

sometimes with a crawl space or 1 story with an attic, it is not too hard to run cat5e/6 in the house ..

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
BTW, many of us run a "headless" BI server. That is, our BI computer doesn't have a monitor or keyboard/mouse connected. From another computer connected to the LAN (wired or wireless) you can access the headless BI computer. Many use RDP (aka Microsoft Remote Desktop). For example, my BI server is in a closet on a shelf. To access it I use my laptop connected to that same network via WiFi using RDP. It's just like having a monitor/keyboard/mouse connected to the BI computer.