Network VPN Help Please! Setting up IP Passthrough on AT&T Fiber Modem/Router to my Deco Router.

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have Fiber Optic from AT&T which came with a Router/Modem (BGW320-500) and seperately purchased a Deco Mesh Wifi System (XE 5300). AT&T provides a modem/router, so I have tried to "IP passthrough" the IP address to my Deco Mesh Router so that I can setup a VPN server on the Deco Router to connect to Blue Iris. Ultimately my Deco Router will be providing internet to my Blue Iris Server.

This is where nothing works. I login to my AT&T router/modem and go to "IP Passthrough", select "DHCPS-fixed" and then select my Deco Mesh Router, since its the only device connected to my AT&T Modem/router. I restart my AT&T modem/router and the Deco Router. I login to my Deco Router and check the IP Address on the Deco Router. It still lists a private IP Address (192.168.X.X.) and is not passing through the IP Address from AT&T modem/router. I've tried hard restarting the devices, creating new networks, everything and nothing seems to work. I go to my Deco device and notice that the last digit of its Mac Address is different that what AT&T says. Instead of ending in "C1", Deco says its ends in "C0". So i go to the IP Passthrough and manually insert the Mac Address with C0 and then restart all devices. Still nothing works.

What the hell am i doing wrong?

IP Passthrough
1694496907957.png

DEVICE LIST
1694496764471.png

Deco Mesh Mac Address:
1694496997277.png

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
How is the TP-link (XE 5300) connected to the AT&T (BGW320-500)? Via Ethernet cable, or WiFi?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It appears the device ending in C0 is your "hallwall" mesh AP and likely not the main router. I would remove all the "mesh" APs from the system temporarily to see if the system "finds" the main XE 5300 device.

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It’s connected via Ethernet cable and it’s the main router. The other deco meshes aren’t even connected
Isn't the passthrough mode supposed to be static? It has been over 10+ years since I worked with att passthrough but I think it was supposed to run with static. DHCPS mode would give out the 192.168... address if my memory serves me correct. Try it out. Then again, I might have bought the static ip with mine at that time.

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. I tried the advice and still no luck. I will probably have to revert to zero tier. Is there any worry with just using zero tier? I’ve spent a couple days on the up pass through and it just stumps me….I follow all the guides and reset my routers. Ugh

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
try turning off the DHCP server / investigating those settings. Screenshots of other settings pages could be helpful.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i talked with deco and its basically not possible because their mesh system sucks.
Ahh, the joy's of companies idiot proofing their products and taking away features or hiding them behind subscriptions. I do think AT&T gets more of the blame, but deco's have their limits.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good ol' AT&T.

I've had the joy of setting up some of their Motorola/Arris/<name of the week> modems using their "pinhole' terminology and methods....which I think were devised by "pinHEADS." :headbang:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i talked with deco and its basically not possible because their mesh system sucks.
You might be able to add a third router to the mix, let it do the routing, and make the Deco mesh system function as access points. Worth a try at least to see if you can make 'passthrough' work.

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You might be able to add a third router to the mix, let it do the routing, and make the Deco mesh system function as access points. Worth a try at least to see if you can make 'passthrough' work.
I was thinking about this since I have an Asus router …but Asus is only compatible with Asus products

OakleyFreak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
AT&T is using CGNat
You can't use normal vpn.
But I just installed tailscale. I get to blue Iris UI3 on my android phone now. I'm on T mobile