New Dahua 2231T - Best starlight settings?

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is that cropped? Are you using digital zoom?
Can you post a full size image? Are you not using IR? You don’t have enough light to not be using IR..
i cropped the image , no IR, just moonlight. i need to start another thread instead of hijacking this one.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A still picture means nothing, that's easy to get looking good. Its getting it to look good with movement is the trick.
You need to go back to the LPR section and do some reading.

That picture with just moonlight is nothing to brag about at all. The 2231T can stomp all over that.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A still picture means nothing, that's easy to get looking good. Its getting it to look good with movement is the trick.
You need to go back to the LPR section and do some reading.

That picture with just moonlight is nothing to brag about at all. The 2231T can stomp all over that.
yeah i'm learning, i can get a still image to look like daytime in color, as soon as something moves it's a huge blur. there's no substitute for ambient light or IR. i'm going to do more reading, and more hands-on tinkering, seems that's the only way i'll learn :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah i'm learning, i can get a still image to look like daytime in color, as soon as something moves it's a huge blur. there's no substitute for ambient light or IR. i'm going to do more reading, and more hands-on tinkering, seems that's the only way i'll learn :)
Shutter Speed / Exposure Tutorial

Reaction score
right now the $50 cam from B&H is looking better than the 2231T from andy, i'm hoping it's just settings i need to tinker with. then again i have the exposure cranked up and there's a full moon. :) here's the fire pit area as seen by the $50 cam. no IR, just moonlight. needs a lot of tweaking. View attachment 52105
Once you get the settings correct in the 2231t you will have a nicer image than this. Good luck you will get it tuned in and you will be happy. @bigredfish , @aristobrat, @looney2ns, are great helpers, they always have great information to fine tune your cameras. Thanks guys.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Once you get the settings correct in the 2231t you will have a nicer image than this. Good luck you will get it tuned in and you will be happy. @bigredfish is a great help, he helped me with suggestions also. Oh yeah and @looney2ns, they always have great information to fine tune your cameras. Thanks guys.
oh yeah, they are a great help. i swapped the 2231 for the N22 and they look identical during the daytime, about to take a snapshot and compare the two during night time.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i'd be glad to do whatever you guys want me to and take screenshots and post them. so far all i've been doing it taking day and night shots with factory default settings.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok great snap a shot with the IR on so we can see how that looks. thanks
i hate to clutter up this thread , i'll take a snap of both, default, crop them slightly, label them and combine into one photo, wish me luck :)

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Post raw images dont crop or downsize
well,i dont want to reveal my location so that's out. turns out i dont have a stock image for the 2231T at night with the IR on anyways. i have two daytime photos , those are almost identical, as far as the night images with IR, the 2231T didn't wash out the house lights as much, but it was nothing to shake a stick at. i'm actually impressed with the N22 for almost 1/3 the price.

Reaction score
That's good, and that is why we buy different cameras to compare and then we know what to spend more money on. I run my 2231t's in day mode all the time full color at night. And my pictures are great. I am also using blue iris on a dell optiplex computer. sidestreet1.20191215_230921956_1.jpgsidestreet2.20191215_230741526_1.jpg

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hahaha will the red laser or green laser show up better on camera? ;) we all need mini ptz's on every corner of the house lol. your images look great, you have lots of lights, street lights, etc. i have my dim led's and the neighbors christmas lights. i can get a good color image but when something moves it's game over, i've tried the 1/60 exposure trick, keeping wdr off, and low on the noise correction and it's still smeared even in IR. i guess i need more light but figured the cameras would be better. i'm sure it's operator error but i'm throwing in the towel for tonight, i've been tinkering with cams since 2pm.

Reaction score
hahaha will the red laser or green laser show up better on camera? ;) we all need mini ptz's on every corner of the house lol. your images look great, you have lots of lights, street lights, etc. i have my dim led's and the neighbors christmas lights. i can get a good color image but when something moves it's game over, i've tried the 1/60 exposure trick, keeping wdr off, and low on the noise correction and it's still smeared even in IR. i guess i need more light but figured the cameras would be better. i'm sure it's operator error but i'm throwing in the towel for tonight, i've been tinkering with cams since 2pm.
Yes the more lights you can put up the better. I am always tinkering to get what i think is the best, but i guess that is subjective.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well,i dont want to reveal my location so that's out. turns out i dont have a stock image for the 2231T at night with the IR on anyways. i have two daytime photos , those are almost identical, as far as the night images with IR, the 2231T didn't wash out the house lights as much, but it was nothing to shake a stick at. i'm actually impressed with the N22 for almost 1/3 the price.
Hi @funkybunch

That camera was sold at a very impressive price point. Since then the price has gone up to $75 now. Still a good deal imho.

Remember to value the camera for what you want it to do and how successful it is. I dropped a lot more on just one camera when I needed it.. and it was worth it. Thankfully now there are more affordable models which perform as well or even better.