New member has a concern

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. Is shielded cable the best one? . Most on Amazon don`t specify shielding ,only Cable Matters. Most of them say copper.I wanted to buy the lengths all ready made as I only need a few.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone recommend the best wires to use for my cameras? I see Cat5 to Cat8 round and flat available. Is one brand or specific type best for best quality signal and durability?I`ll probably go with premade lengths. Thanks
Stay away from the flat cables. Cat 5e is suffuicent as long as they are either 23awg or 24awg wire gauge and solid copper.

Reaction score
Thanks. Is shielded cable the best one? . Most on Amazon don`t specify shielding ,only Cable Matters. Most of them say copper.I wanted to buy the lengths all ready made as I only need a few.
Unless you have a commercial welding shop next door, or a commercial radio station, shielded Cat-5 is unnecessary. The twisted pairs and unused conductors in Cat5 and Cat6 cables provide all the noise protection needed.

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK trying to install a camera IPC-HDBW5231R-ZE from Andy to test on my Synology DS718+ through a 8 port switch. Cannot get it found. Have my NAS`s IP , If I go to its icon and right click on properties it shows up . If thats the info this i looking for.I How do you find an open port # or the right port #. Can that be it ? Downloaded Config tool from Dahau included with camera is not helping or finding. Is there an easy way to find the correct setting to get this recognised? So far alot of time an seeminly simple procedure It seems I need to change the camera IP adress to the NAS??? Thanks!

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your camera's default ip is 192.168.1.108. Your computer's nic should be set to an ip address in the 192.168.1.x subnet. You should then be able to enter the camera's ip in your browser and access it's web interface from where you can change it's ip address.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone recommend the best wires to use for my cameras? I see Cat5 to Cat8 round and flat available. Is one brand or specific type best for best quality signal and durability?I`ll probably go with premade lengths. Thanks
FYI - there is a LOT of fraudulent vendors on Amazon claiming their super thin flat cables meet cat7 / cat6a / cat8 specs. DO NOT TRUST them, even if they have very good reviews.

You want copper wires in the cable, 23 or 24 AWG, and with the proper sheathing for where you will be running it.

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tha
Your camera's default ip is 192.168.1.108. Your computer's nic should be set to an ip address in the 192.168.1.x subnet. You should then be able to enter the camera's ip in your browser and access it's web interface from where you can change it's ip address.
Thanks. I was hoping the cameras get recognised and information populated as it does in those wonderfull You Tube videos! Anyway I tried this adress . I have to admit I`m not really understanding it all yet. I attached a few snips to show my results. Can the port be a problem.How can I tell if that information is correct? It shows up as 80 which when checked shows closed.View attachment 52143 It keeps saying something is wrong. I have 2 other 8MP cameras from Andy. Should I try a different one or is it just my inexperience and ignorance in this field?Camera 1.JPGCamera 1.JPGCamera 1.JPG

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Lets take this one step at a time. What are the screenshots from? I've not seen them before so I don't know if they are from your router or something else. How is your equipment connected i.e. is it camera to poe switch to pc? What ip address is each device using?

This is a general remark for anyone that needs help and not aimed at you directly. No one but you knows what your network setup is and it gets to be a little difficult for anyone on the internet who is trying to help to visiualise what that setup may be, so it's always a good idea to try and include a network diagram if you can. The more information we have, the quicker and easier it is to help. :)

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The screenshots are from the SynologyDS718+ NAS Surveillance Station. I have the camera to an 8 port POE switch to the router which is connected to the NAS. IS that correct? I was trying to add the first camera a IPC-HDBW5231R-ZE . It did not find the camera under ONVIF or Brand name on its own. If I enter the camera IP adress you gave it says invalid format.A few times it seemed to add the camera then not activate it. The Dahua Config tool does not find it either.On the switch I get green and orange flashing lights. on camera in and switch out . Thanks for any help. I have spent alot of time trying to get the basic things done

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the NAS. Lets start off by going back to basics and bypassing the router. Set the network adapter in your pc with a network ip of 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and no default gateway. Plug your pc into the POE switch and then pull up the browser and go to 192.168.1.108. Does the web interface for the camera appear?

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It looks like I might be in over my head ,It will take me awhile just to figure out how to follow your instructions as this is too new and I dont grasp most of it. I was hoping camera gets recognised and go from there.Maybe with an NVR that would be possible. Is there was a IP cam for idiots with simple diagrams and pictures!! I might have to give up for now,until I can get somebody like you guys to help me in person. I will continue to read and follow hoping i can figure this out without taking up more of your time... Thank you all.