New member has a concern

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It looks like I might be in over my head ,It will take me awhile just to figure out how to follow your instructions as this is too new and I dont grasp most of it. I was hoping camera gets recognised and go from there.Maybe with an NVR that would be possible. Is there was a IP cam for idiots with simple diagrams and pictures!! I might have to give up for now,until I can get somebody like you guys to help me in person. I will continue to read and follow hoping i can figure this out without taking up more of your time... Thank you all.
Don't give up. While it may seem like an uphill battle right now, trust me it's not. If you need help and have access to Skype or WhatsApp, then I'd me more than willing to help.

Last edited:

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Take a look at this link to see how to change your ip address: How To Change IP Address in Windows 10: A Visual Guide and note the steps that you need to perform. Make a note of the settings that you have now before you make any changes and then do the following:

Unplug your POE switch from your router.
Unplug your computer from your router.
Connect the cable from the POE switch into the port on the back of the computer. Remember you will have no internet access on this computer at this point.
Set the ip address using the instructions from the link above on your computer's network card to the settings I provided earlier and save them.
Go to the browser on your computer and type in its ip address and press enter
You should now have the web interface for the camera.
Login to the interface and then in the network settings change your ip address to something on the same network as your NAS.

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Hammerhead ! For this and your offer. I have an appt kind of far away soon. I will follow up on this tonight. I opened a Skype acct. Just wondering the benefits over a cell? Anyway I`ll start over later. Thanks

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just wondering the benefits over a cell? Anyway I`ll start over later. Thanks
Skype allows you to share your desktop so we can see what is on your screen if needs be. Also you can't stalk me on Skype......:eek::lmao:

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So great to be connected and able to continue thanks to an amazing helping hand , but still a ton of stuff to figure out.. I have my 3 (2 4K 1 2MP) cameras hooked up to a Synology NAS inside and am starting testing them and the options and settings in Surveillance station.
The voice/sound pickup delay echo from the cameras is spooky. I`ll have to probably shut that off somehow.
I plan on keeping them running inside until I can test their positions outside. Is their a preferred way to shut them down , then being able to get them back up when outside to test or mounted. Is it just a matter of turning off the Synology program? When I do it says cameras dissconnected . Then I have to "find them again. Still researching the Synology FAQs . I`m sure alot of my answers are there someplace.
I have the cameras recognised in the Dahau Config tool .
Am I correct in thinking cameras setting can be acessed and set in this tool instead of the Synology SS program? Or is it best not to experiment with this yet given my experience level??
Next....Is it good and common practice to install SD cards or personal preference . I have 3 128 GB ( I read my models can use these) fast Samsung cards . Is it a backup to a NAS recording failure? As far as setting for recording continuously....is 10 days a reasonable time frame at full resolution @ 15fps on all . I have disc space calculated for all 3 and I`m guessing if something happens I will be looking for it the next day So overwriting won`t matter much unless we`re away for longer..Motion detection and such is still a little way off.! One more day to work the off till after New Year!! Hopefully I will be spending time on this new hobby.. Thanks for any comments and I will keep reading...

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can someone recommend the best wires to use for my cameras? I see Cat5 to Cat8 round and flat available. Is one brand or specific type best for best quality signal and durability?I`ll probably go with premade lengths. Thanks
Hello Fish - how are you making out? fwiw I'll throw my limited experiences in here. . .
I currently have 2 Amcrest 4K cameras
that I had on my Synology NAS. Installation even for a newbie like me was easy. I use POE switches on my LAN to power the cameras. Initially I purchased premade CAT5 cables (including a hundred footer). Now I make my own CAT6. The previous comments about quality cable are really valid.
I added a couple of cheapie 1080p wifi cameras at the same time that I added Blue Iris software. Eventually I abandoned the Synology and run BI off a PC. BI has much more to offer than Surveillance Station.
I have a PTZ and a couple of more of the bullets I am going to install outside in the woods to video the critters in the neighborhood. Your storage requirements are dependent on the resolution you record at - ie you don't have to record at 4K with a 4K camera if storage is an issue. I set aside 10tb on the NAS and expect that to be plenty even with the additional cameras.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi ctgoldwing
By the way, I live in CT and own a 2015 matte silver Goldwing F6B . Thanks for your comments. I am trying to utilise the NAS because I already own it and it has a program for the cameras. I did purchase cable from Monoprice as suggested here but premade cables that I tested. I am running not far from the NAS through the attic. I almost purchased the spool of Cat6 and necessary tools , but decided to try the easy way first. If I end up with a alot of cameras thats another story. I do have a recent DELL desktop that was their best last year and maxed out RAM and a Nvidia 1080 with Nvme SSD drives . The hardest thing for me was grasping the IP adress thing originally. Now I have them up I need to figure out best settings and management. I know the 4K isn`t the best at night so I`m mixing 2MP and 4K coverage . This is my first time involved with this and this seems like the place to learn from experienced guys. Haven`t installed them yet but they are running .I`m Its kind of chilly to be outside here .

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi ctgoldwing
By the way, I live in CT and own a 2015 matte silver Goldwing F6B . Thanks for your comments. I am trying to utilise the NAS because I already own it and it has a program for the cameras. I did purchase cable from Monoprice as suggested here but premade cables that I tested. I am running not far from the NAS through the attic. I almost purchased the spool of Cat6 and necessary tools , but decided to try the easy way first. If I end up with a alot of cameras thats another story. I do have a recent DELL desktop that was their best last year and maxed out RAM and a Nvidia 1080 with Nvme SSD drives . The hardest thing for me was grasping the IP adress thing originally. Now I have them up I need to figure out best settings and management. I know the 4K isn`t the best at night so I`m mixing 2MP and 4K coverage . This is my first time involved with this and this seems like the place to learn from experienced guys. Haven`t installed them yet but they are running .I`m Its kind of chilly to be outside here .
Before you do anything else, I'd suggest getting your cameras secured, i.e. block their connection to the internet using your router. I know you want to use your NAS, but like others on this forum I'd highly recommend that you go with a dual nic Blue Iris pc as this will give you a lot more flexibility in the long run and allow you to secure your camera network. My personal preference is to use a managed switch and segregate the network using vlans. You could probably repurpose your NAS as a media server. :)

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Hammerhead786 I have acess to my router setting finally .Can you tell me what to look for to block? Its a NetGear C7100V. I`m looking at an advanced settings box under: port fowarding and its checked never. Is that sufficient?Cliff notes are slightly confusing in some things I did change the password for the router and cameras although admin is still there...
Also regarding the Blue Iris software.What is dual nic?
Is is possible to run it off my current desktop? It was a 3K+ purchase about a year ago. I might have an old Alienware laptop here unless I gave it away. If I have it I might delay this and look into BI. That will mean alot more questions!!!
I can see what you mean about the long run, but that would open a whole new chapter in this "couple of cameras" thing. But as usual long term planning like reading the Cliff Notes many times and planning ,understanding all the variables before buying is really good advise. I acessed the cameras on the web and was wondering if there are optimum setting for the 2MP and 4K or do you do that after they are up? Like adjusting the frame rate until it looks good or are there usuable parameter limits I can find someplace or you can suggest? Do I generally use Dahua Config to make my camera settings? I know this is alot of questions but if you or anyone can answer one or two or point me to a source.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Hammerhead786 I have acess to my router setting finally .Can you tell me what to look for to block? Its a NetGear C7100V. I`m looking at an advanced settings box under: port fowarding and its checked never. Is that sufficient?Cliff notes are slightly confusing in some things I did change the password for the router and cameras although admin is still there...
Also regarding the Blue Iris software.What is dual nic?
Is is possible to run it off my current desktop? It was a 3K+ purchase about a year ago. I might have an old Alienware laptop here unless I gave it away. If I have it I might delay this and look into BI. That will mean alot more questions!!!
I can see what you mean about the long run, but that would open a whole new chapter in this "couple of cameras" thing. But as usual long term planning like reading the Cliff Notes many times and planning ,understanding all the variables before buying is really good advise. I acessed the cameras on the web and was wondering if there are optimum setting for the 2MP and 4K or do you do that after they are up? Like adjusting the frame rate until it looks good or are there usuable parameter limits I can find someplace or you can suggest? Do I generally use Dahua Config to make my camera settings? I know this is alot of questions but if you or anyone can answer one or two or point me to a source.
Take a look at page 36 of the manual here: www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/C7100V/C7100V_UM_EN.pdf. You will need to block all ports for the ip address range 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0101 which is the range for the ip cameras. When we say dual nic, we mean a computer with 2 network interface cards. Ideally, you want a separate pc to run Blue Iris. Check out the wiki here: IP Cam Talk Wiki for hardware recommendations. Find a used pc for this purpose. I still need to get into playing around with optimal camera settings, so unfortunately I can't really advise you there.

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
.Sorry to see I can probably find this on my own but don`t always understand even when I do. . That will keep me busy for awhile.The second range you mentioned is that typed correctly? Does this just block the 3 cameras (100,101,102) that I have ? Would that mean 192.168.102 for the second range?Or is it typed correctly? I do have another i7 HP.Might be Win 7 . Kind of kept it for a backup.Has all my programs etc. I`ll look into that over the next few days. Might have to rethink my cabling .Thank you!

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
.Sorry to see I can probably find this on my own but don`t always understand even when I do. . That will keep me busy for awhile.The second range you mentioned is that typed correctly? Does this just block the 3 cameras (100,101,102) that I have ? Would that mean 192.168.102 for the second range?Or is it typed correctly? I do have another i7 HP.Might be Win 7 . Kind of kept it for a backup.Has all my programs etc. I`ll look into that over the next few days. Might have to rethink my cabling .Thank you!
In step 6 of those instructions, select ip address range and add 192.168.0.100 in the first box and 192.168.0.102 in the last box. Sorry, didn't realise I had made a typo there. This will block just the 3 cameras from accessing the internet.

You will need to change some settings on the cameras themselves, using the web interface, once installed. I'm not sure how the software on the NAS affects the cameras settings.

One other thing I forgot to mention is setting up a timeserver so that the cameras can have the correct time. Again, don't worry with regards to all the questions, this is what this forum is for and we'll work through them. One thing I might suggest and this goes for anyone, is create yourself your own installation document as you install and make changes. That way if you ever have a failure you can always get yourself back up and running again. :)

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It asks for a range of ports to block. Would that be all of them starting at #1 (#1 - #65535)

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It asks for a range of ports to block. Would that be all of them starting at #1 (#1 - #65535)
Yes, that's correct. You don't want the cameras to talk at all to the internet, so you will block all the ports. See, you are getting the hang of this.:headbang:

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes....as it gets more involved it gets more interesting. I definitely need to write stuff down because otherwise.....it will be back to scratching my head .I`m starting that today hopefully remembering what we did before. Should have documented it then. I did have a chance to help a pretty distressed family today. It cost me more than all the recent camera gear but I would do it again and I feel better about the coming Holiday season now.

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have a few questions after a few weeks with 2 4K and 1 2MP Dahua`s installed and using my Synology NAS.
I get reflections in the 2 4K cameras from the IR. I had them apart and they seem reassembled perfectly. IR off, no reflection. Should I take them back down?I`ll send a grab. 2MP is fine
When using the Synology NAS do you use the camera setting for event detection and grids or the Synologys settings ? I`m not having great luck with either one and missing some events.
Are the 4MP cameras being reviewed an upgrade to the recent and highly recommended 2MP cameras? I really like the 2MP but if the 4MP are the next upgrade they will be my next addition.
Here is an observation and I would like to know if this is something I`m doing wrong or the way it is.I haven`t found an answer I understand.
I used almost all my data plan on my Galaxy S10+ in a few weeks after installing these 3 cameras. I view them using Quick Connect. I assume I am streaming 4K from 2 of them at once plus the 2 MP at 1980x1080.
I tried setting the 4ks to match the 2MP but didn`t seem like alot of difference. Or do people basically not view their cameras from phones unless they get an event alert? I dont get alerts yet for events as I haven`t gotten there yet. Thanks!

Attachments

bank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have a few questions after a few weeks with 2 4K and 1 2MP Dahua`s installed and using my Synology NAS.
I get reflections in the 2 4K cameras from the IR. I had them apart and they seem reassembled perfectly. IR off, no reflection. Should I take them back down?I`ll send a grab. 2MP is fine
When using the Synology NAS do you use the camera setting for event detection and grids or the Synologys settings ? I`m not having great luck with either one and missing some events.
Are the 4MP cameras being reviewed an upgrade to the recent and highly recommended 2MP cameras? I really like the 2MP but if the 4MP are the next upgrade they will be my next addition.
Here is an observation and I would like to know if this is something I`m doing wrong or the way it is.I haven`t found an answer I understand.
I used almost all my data plan on my Galaxy S10+ in a few weeks after installing these 3 cameras. I view them using Quick Connect. I assume I am streaming 4K from 2 of them at once plus the 2 MP at 1980x1080.
I tried setting the 4ks to match the 2MP but didn`t seem like alot of difference. Or do people basically not view their cameras from phones unless they get an event alert? I dont get alerts yet for events as I haven`t gotten there yet. Thanks!

I can't comment on Dahua
I do exclusively use the Synology for event detection, without issue.
I don't use any alerts / notifications
I use an iPhone with the (DS Cam app) and occasionally "check in" to monitor the house, perhaps if the house alarm or door bell is triggered. I have low res (640 X 480) secondary streams set up on the NAS for mobile streams.

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for your response.I will read up more on the synology and also secondary streams as you mentioned.