New Mini PTZ now with 4x zoom SD1A404XB-GNR

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mmmburritos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For reference, I received my SD1A404XB-GNR today and just opened it up to confirm the mounting situation is exactly the same as the SD1A203T-GN, so anything you read on here about that one will apply to the new model...at least as far as mounting hardware. I'll be testing this one out and if all goes well, the plan is to replace all of my SD1A203T-GN with this model, sounds like Arjun might be doing the same thing :)

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I may do it as well. Could you please take a picture with both cameras next to each other, to be able to see the difference in the image quality?

mmmburritos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I may do it as well. Could you please take a picture with both cameras next to each other, to be able to see the difference in the image quality?
Someone can probably beat me to it, the SD1A404XB-GNR I just received is going in another location entirely so my SD1A203T-GN isn't going to be swapped right away. Just want to make sure there's no strange issues with the new one before I go nuts ordering more, although I might cave in and do it anyways, I like new toys.

HappyChappie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a couple of these SD1A203T-GN and I was wondering, is the SD1A404XB-GNR basically an updated version? I have my cameras mounted in the eaves of the roof but I'm wanting to place one (probably a SD1A404XB-GNR) at the apex of the roof at the gable end.
Can this camera be fitted vertically? I'm thinking if it is IP66 the mounting position should not matter or am I missing something? I don't like the camera wall mounts as they add to much to the size of the camera and I want it to be as unobtrusive as possible. I'm thinking ptz should make the cam "look" wherever I want at whatever angle, even up wards as I live at the bottom of a hill!
Any thoughts?

mmmburritos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a couple of these SD1A203T-GN and I was wondering, is the SD1A404XB-GNR basically an updated version? I have my cameras mounted in the eaves of the roof but I'm wanting to place one (probably a SD1A404XB-GNR) at the apex of the roof at the gable end.
Can this camera be fitted vertically? I'm thinking if it is IP66 the mounting position should not matter or am I missing something? I don't like the camera wall mounts as they add to much to the size of the camera and I want it to be as unobtrusive as possible. I'm thinking ptz should make the cam "look" wherever I want at whatever angle, even up wards as I live at the bottom of a hill!
Any thoughts?
Yes it's physically identical, size/shape/microsd card door are all the same, the mounting options are exactly the same as the SD1A203T-GN and it uses the same mounting plate. I don't think it's supposed to be mounted vertically but I guess you could give it a try. You may want to consider that this may expose the dome to direct sunlight and it could yellow over time. I bought the adapter plates to wall mount one of these and you're right, the whole setup is rather large, in fact it's the same bracket that my big 25x zoom camera uses. Not sure why they don't come out with a simpler L bracket for these mini dome cameras, would be a nice option.

The web interface on the SD1A404XB-GNR has some additional options, it's got the newer "Deep IVS" and it supports "Smart Motion Detection" which seems to be a generic motion detection but it can filter by human or vehicle. I'm still messing around with some of the options, haven't really got it fully setup yet. It also displays video in Chrome without a plugin. Supports 30fps at the full resolution 2560x1440. Trying to think if there's anything else notable. To me it's just a refreshed version of the SD1A203T-GN.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
And of course it’s 4MP instead of 2 and 4x zoom to 12mm vs 3x and 8.1mm

Will post first part of review shortly ...

mmmburritos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And of course it’s 4MP instead of 2 and 4x zoom to 12mm vs 3x and 8.1mm

Will post first part of review shortly ...
Can you tell a difference in the zoom? I did end up replacing my SD1A203T-GN and I'm not really seeing any difference in zoom

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, I ended up using the existing mount. :D The mounts between the 2mp and 4mp models are exactly and precisely the same.

For reference, I received my SD1A404XB-GNR today and just opened it up to confirm the mounting situation is exactly the same as the SD1A203T-GN, so anything you read on here about that one will apply to the new model...at least as far as mounting hardware. I'll be testing this one out and if all goes well, the plan is to replace all of my SD1A203T-GN with this model, sounds like Arjun might be doing the same thing :)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I purchased the PTZ mount (typically used for true-PTZ cameras with auto-tracking) eons ago, thought may be useful, but the size was HUGE, :eek:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does it know that up/down are now left/right etc? The fisheye that I reviewed had a setting where you could tell it if it was mounted horizontally (facing down), horizontally (facing up), or vertically .. I'm assuming it uses that to figure out how to dewarp properly... wasn't sure if this model had similar smarts.

Last edited: