Newbie Starter Guide to IP Cam System – VPN setup – Computer Hardware – Blue Iris – Dahua Cameras

CaseyJones

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Based on cams setup what process is required:
0-500 MP/s ----- 3rd-7th gen i5 desktop CPU (4 cores)
500-800 MP/s --- 3rd-7th gen i7 desktop CPU (4 cores + hyperthreading) or 8th-9th gen i5 desktop CPU (6 cores)
800-1100 MP/s -- i7-8700 (6 cores + hyperthreading) or i7-9700 (8 cores) or the K edition of either
1100-1500 MP/s - i9-9900K

Calculate MP/s:
16 cams x 2MP x 20fps = 640MP/s

Compare CPUs:

Great info about 6th vs 8th Gen CPU
If I'm going with 14 (8MP) cameras that I will have setup to recored 24/7 at lower Res and then full 4K Res on motion is an i5 completely out of the question? It appears from the formula above that I would require an i9 system. Currently I have a system that I only use for iRacing that I'm hoping to use to run BI instead of building a whole new system.

Here are the specs; i5-6600, 8GB GDDR5, GTX1070 8GB GDDR5, 1 TB HDD + 128GB SSD. I would need to build out the HDD but does this sound like a okay starting point or should I start from scratch?

Reaction score
EDITED BY FENDERMAN. DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK IN THIS MESSAGE. This is a spam bot. Leaving it up for a bit to show how they operate.

Thanks for sharing this guide on setting up a surveillance system. As someone who's been looking into this recently, it's helpful to have some direction. I appreciate the suggestion to use Blue Iris and a computer to run it. It's good to know what options are out there and what might be worth the investment. I've also heard mixed things about NVRs, so it's good to get your perspective on that. One thing that might be helpful for folks to know is how to access their router settings. I personally use the 10.0.0.0.1 login address to get into mine. This can come in handy when setting up a surveillance system or troubleshooting internet issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind this thread is dated now and with advancements to BI like substreams, the computing needs are not as great as in the past.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this guide on setting up a surveillance system. As someone who's been looking into this recently, it's helpful to have some direction. I appreciate the suggestion to use Blue Iris and a computer to run it. It's good to know what options are out there and what might be worth the investment. I've also heard mixed things about NVRs, so it's good to get your perspective on that. One thing that might be helpful for folks to know is how to access their router settings.
@wittaj This is 100 percent a spam post. This is how advanced they are. Using some sort of AI. Generally they come back later and add a link. I will leave this up as an experiment. They often resurrect old threads. I dont know why they cant train their bots to look for newer threads.

Reaction score
Anytime I see a post on a stale thread, it is the user's first post, and they immediately signed off after that post (Joined at 10:03, post at 10:04, last seen at 10:04), then I know it is a BOT. They are getting better though. This one really spun several points to make it look real. It's kind of eerie.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow if that is a bot that is one of the better ones. Rereading it now you can kinda see it, but like other than testing out AI, why?

And is this all automated - like is a bot creating an account and searching for a thread to respond to all automatically.

Reaction score
And is this all automated - like is a bot creating an account and searching for a thread to respond to all automatically.
Totally autonomous. A few years ago, humans were hired to get accounts on different forums and pitch their employer's products/website. Some of the good ones would just slip in the plug without causing you to realize they were not there for the help, but were there to promote a product. Sooner or later they would be found out and banned. You might see this person on multiple forums, using the same name, same picture, etc.

Now, there is a push to have AI BOTs perform this same action. They pick the forum, apply for an account, pick a thread and make a post. They then wait to view the replies and learn from the interactions. They are getting better at this. Some are on social media forums pushing certain political points of view. They are getting quite good at sounding very human. They also post comments on news stories online.

I would not doubt that they also give their 'opinions' to online poll takers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this guide on setting up a surveillance system. As someone who's been looking into this recently, it's helpful to have some direction. I appreciate the suggestion to use Blue Iris and a computer to run it. It's good to know what options are out there and what might be worth the investment. I've also heard mixed things about NVRs, so it's good to get your perspective on that. One thing that might be helpful for folks to know is how to access their router settings. I personally use the 10.0.0.0.1 login address to get into mine. This can come in handy when setting up a surveillance system or troubleshooting internet issues.
OK, now we can see the bot returned a few days later and edited the post. This time embedding a link into the message. Do not click on it.