Newbie with older Swann system - trying to get NVR playback/live on PC

Reaction score
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right location to post this question, but this is my situation and why I've joined.

I bought a Swann NVR/Camera bundle from Costco back in ~2015. The bottom of the NVR has the model # listed s CONVR-B163MP. It is a 16 CH NVR with 8x 3MP bullet cameras. All of the cameras and NVR are up and working fine. My issue is accessing the NVR from my computer.

I have the Android SwannView Plus app which is working fine using a connection via IP address/port 8000. Does not work if I try to use the Swann UID field even taking photo of the 3D barcode. Bottom line - I can view live and playback historically through the app on the phone fine - however the software interface is clunky.

I had an older Windows 7 PC that I had installed the Swann View Plus software on when I bought the NVR and it worked ok. I bought a new computer with Windows 10 and now I cannot get their software to work correctly. It seems to connect to the NVR (I can see my 8 cameras listed, I can see the CPU and network % bars moving on the top right) but I cannot get any live streams to start.

SwannView Plus.PNG

Swann error.PNG

Figuring out that Swann was rebranding Hikvision I went and downloaded HikCentral Professional and installed it. Once I did that I was able to log into my NVR and was able to get video to preview through Internet Explorer (not Chrome or Edge) but only one camera at a time. I was trying to get it working in a newer browser and think I downloaded a newer web client plugin, which gave me the ability to select multiple live views, but since doing that I cannot get any video to start in any web client or the PC software itself. I do however get a little preview of the video if I hover over the camera name.

Hikvision.PNG

So it seems like the connection is establishing but something is preventing the stream from starting, maybe a common issue between all of these packages. I have tried turning off the Windows firewall and no change.

I will also note that when I installed HikCentral Professional it warned me at first that the port 554 for the streaming gateway was in conflict. After some digging I found that if I disabled the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service I could get HikCentral Service Manager to accept 554 and start. Not sure if related to other issues.

Bottom line - I don't need any fancy features or anything, I just want to be able to view my cameras on my computer! Any ideas of what to do??

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you attempted to connect to the NVR via it's IP address with a web browser?
that would be the easiest.
Install Pale Moon 32bit browser, it works best in a lot of cases.